Raijin Build Thread

74K views 266 replies 76 participants last post by  goodoljake 
#1 · (Edited)
It begins...
all smiles!
:D

#117 ·
Well Worth The Wait

Neil at The Path Bike Shop ordered one up for me. Took close to 3 months. It was well worth the wait too. Check it out.

2013 22" Frame
Chris King I-7 Headset
Sid XX Tapered Fork 15mm
XX1 Drivetrain, Trigger, 34T, Q168
American Classic All Mountain Wheels
Ralph & Ron 2.25 w/tubes
XT Pedals
Easton Post
Forte Pro SL Saddle
Thomson X4 Stem, 90mm
Whiskey Riser Bars, 740mm
ESI Chunky
Profile Design Kage x2
23.9 lbs

Attachments

#125 ·
Looks good.

I'm not sure how your bike weighs less than my SS though? Maybe my scale is off.

Anyway, stay tuned for my Raijin redux, it's currently getting a makeover. I'll post pics later this weekend.
good morning. thanks for the props. as far as weight, i am not sure of your entire build to compare but my fork is over a pound lighter than yours based on one of your prior posts. hope that helps.

looking forward to seeing your pics too.

#120 ·
Forgive me if I missed it, but could you do a list of components meltingfeather?
Raijin 18" frame
SRAM XO crankset
33t HBC spiderless ring
KMC X9SL Chain
19t Chris King cog
Hope SS/Trials hubs laced to Nancy Wides with Revos
Chris King InSet 7
Niner RDO fork
Bontrager XXX Lite Stem
ENVE riser
Formula R1 brakes
Oury grips
ENVE (back when it was EDGE) setback seatpost
WTB Rocket V Stealth Ti saddle
If you've got weights as well that would be a bonus...?
Gonna have to go without the bonus. The whole bike weighs from 18.5-19.5 lbs, depending on what shoes she's wearing.

#121 ·
^^^ Thanks mf. So you swapped out the Light-bicycle carbon rims then?

I'm sittiing here wondering about this frame now - yours is 18" and 4lb 7oz - this is pretty much the identical weight as the medium SIR9 frame, including its EBB. I'm having second thoughts about the so-called "weight advantage" of Ti...

#122 ·
^^^ Thanks mf. So you swapped out the Light-bicycle carbon rims then?
Nancy is the chick that works at light-bicycle. I usually call them Nancy wides.

I'm sittiing here wondering about this frame now - yours is 18" and 4lb 7oz - this is pretty much the identical weight as the medium SIR9 frame, including its EBB. I'm having second thoughts about the so-called "weight advantage" of Ti...
Hmmm... Dirt Rag says the medium (16.5" seat tube) SIR 9 is 4 lbs. 13 oz. with the Maxle and seatpost clamp (no mention of EBB).
If weight is priority, the Raijin is not the lightest Ti frame you can buy. According to Dirt Rag (again), the Lynskey Pro29 can be had at 3 lbs. 12 oz.

#135 ·
I guess for all those reasons you mentioned. I'm no racer really, I like wide rims. I like bombproof/stiff. The price was right. I thought using putting rabbit holes instead.

I may go carbon down the line as that will be the only upgrade left to make. I just want nancy and company to sort through the minor issues they still have.

#149 ·
Hey man, as long as you don't put the purple parts on the Raijin, we can still be friends. :)

There's only room for one purpledy-urple Raijin in the world today, lol

Purpledy-urple.

Tasty! Great call on the purple...I am saving my Purple King stuff for my chrome Nimble 9:)
My Raijin is draped in pink lol![/QUOTE]

#156 ·

I got bored last night. I'm waiting for my fork and also wanted to get some things sorted out with the bike. Like installing the cog, chain, rear tire, and sizing the brake lines. This will let me pretty much get the bike ready to go so when the fork comes in, it'll be ready to go. I have XT brakes on my Pugsley and the Raijin so this is an easy swap. Just change out the crown race and swap that puppy over.

It snowed here yesterday so I guess there is no rush, just going a bit stir crazy here.

#157 ·
I got bored last night. I'm waiting for my fork and also wanted to get some things sorted out with the bike. Like installing the cog, chain, rear tire, and sizing the brake lines. This will let me pretty much get the bike ready to go so when the fork comes in, it'll be ready to go. I have XT brakes on my Pugsley and the Raijin so this is an easy swap. Just change out the crown race and swap that puppy over.

It snowed here yesterday so I guess there is no rush, just going a bit stir crazy here.
Saw that pic last night- you've gotta get out and try it!

Los

#161 ·
Kona Raijin 2013 frame 19"
Fox terralogic 100mm QR15 fork
S-works crankset 38/24
Mavic C29ssmax front wheel & Mavic Crossmax ST Rear wheel (removed decals)
Shimano XTR: front & rear derailleur, shifters, pedals, cassette 11-36 & chain
Eriksen seatpost
Thomson: stem, seat collar & flat carbon handlebar (soon)
Hope Race X2 brakes with 160 rotors
Chris King Inset7 rasta edition
Salsa skewers rasta edition (just can use the rear...going for Tune QR15 for the front)
Ergon GP1 grips
Charge Spoon Ti. Saddle
Continental Mountain King (front) & XKing (rear) 29x2'2
Jagwire cable

#164 ·
Something against Mavic?
More 20-spoke mtb wheels with narrow rims and proprietary parts than Mavic, but they have contributed to quite a bit of confusion and consternation in the wheelbuilding world, seemingly on purpose, by using their ridiculous "SSD" dimension... but that's another story. :arf:
S(That's not a definitive wheelset, soon expecting for Arch Ex+CK+Marwi Ti)
An infinitely superior specification. :thumbsup:

#178 ·
Sorry, I don't weigh my bikes...

Here's a Rigid variation of the same bike I posted recently (Specialized Chisel Carbon Fork & Black Sheep Ti Bars).

View attachment 788110
What BB/Crankset did you go with. Just ordered my Raijin today, and need to decide on BB setup.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.