Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Ghost poster
    Apr 2012
    I ride a 2012 Lynskey pro 29 SL and love it. I saw the raigin frame at a local bike shop in Durango, and have to say that I would have bought it in a heartbeat had it been released. Really a nice frame. I keep thinking I need it every time I see it, and I saw it again today.
    Lynskey Pro 29 SL brushed etched.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    How are getting on with your Raijin?

I'm hoping to get one and will build very similar to yours
    I wasn't digging it and then I destroyed the rear deraileur and hanger. The gears weren't helping me anyhow so I changed it to a single speed and dropped the fork from 120mm to 100mm. Still not sold so I've gone back to riding my rigid Kona Unit full time. The Raijin's a great frame - I just like riding rigid. I'm thinking of ordering a custom Waltworks steel fork to match it. Or selling it.
    ride natty ride

mtbr member
    Ugh, sorry to hear things haven't worked out. The build looked spot on (and for what I would build too)

You know I ride my rigid Wolfhound more and more, the custom steel By:Stickle sits at home more, and the FS never sees light from the shed

However, the ti itch has nagging for too long now, and now a frame at this price point has come around, I'll give it a go

Hope everything works out for you

mtbr member
    Meltingfeather - my Raijin arrives this week and I am considering the Niner carbon fork to pair with it. Could you post up your impressions of its performance? Many thanks, they would be appreciated

transmitter~receiver
    Meltingfeather - my Raijin arrives this week and I am considering the Niner carbon fork to pair with it. Could you post up your impressions of its performance? Many thanks, they would be appreciated
    I'm not one for detailed impressions. I like it... a lot. The Raijin + Niner is the best riding bike I've been on. I loved my Juice but the Raijin blows it away.
    Geo with the Niner feels great to me. Steering is as fast as I want it to to be but it feels very stable downhill. It's light in the front and easy to lift/loft in tech/air.
    I was going to get a moondust tapered fork just because I think the moondust looks killer with the Ti and I could "upgrade" to tapered at the same time. No dice... they don't make that combo... I guess because there are no moondust tapered-compatible Niner frames. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    It was the fork I was really interested in, on this bike, which you've nutshelled well. Thanks

Ghost poster
    Apr 2012
    I also have the niner cf on my pro 29 sl and love the way it handles. 2.4 ardent @ 28-30 psi tubeless and good to go. I thought it would beat me up, but wanted to try it anyway. Pleasantly surprised how supple it is.
    Lynskey Pro 29 SL brushed etched.

American Made!
    So I have had a Raijin since the debut last spring.....sold my carbon SS and bought another to build up single speed!

19.5 lbs with a 20" frame, I9 wheels and a Whisky carbon fork.
    Feels a bit more XC then my other "all mountain" Raijin that is built up 1x10, 120mm fork, dropper post and I9 wheels.

This rides like my carbon SS without the creaking lol!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raijin Build Thread-raijin-ss-mustache.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-raijin-ss-1.jpg  

What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Looks a very nice ride. What Whisky fork did you go with?

EXORCIZE

update

How are getting on with your Raijin?

I'm hoping to get one and will build very similar to yours
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    I wasn't digging it and then I destroyed the rear deraileur and hanger. The gears weren't helping me anyhow so I changed it to a single speed and dropped the fork from 120mm to 100mm. Still not sold so I've gone back to riding my rigid Kona Unit full time. The Raijin's a great frame - I just like riding rigid. I'm thinking of ordering a custom Waltworks steel fork to match it. Or selling it.
    I tweaked the cockpit higher and rearward and started using the lockout more, and now like the Raijin quite a bit. The bars are now 2" above the saddle but strangely hasn't hurt the handling. Instead, I feel more centered in the bike, allowing me to control the bike with small body shifts (like my Unit).

On seated climbs, the front end floats over stuff nicely. On standing climbs, my body is in a more efficient position and the fork (when locked out) is more likely to remain locked out (a big help). In all situations, the bike feels quicker to respond at the pedals. It's a fun bike and (now) faster than my Unit. I like the 740mm bars, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raijin Build Thread-bikes-004-40-percent.jpg  

ride natty ride

mtbr member
    Great news. It would be such a shame not to get on with such a bike. Here's the start of mine - frame's arriving tomorrow

American Made!
    Looks a very nice ride. What Whisky fork did you go with?
    I am using the Whisky 7 with the tapered steerer and bladed legs. This is my 2nd Whisky fork and really happy with their product so far.

Funny you picked up a MRP Bling Ring, I have a 32t sitting at home
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great news. It would be such a shame not to get on with such a bike. Here's the start of mine - frame's arriving tomorrow
    Going to run 1x9?

mtbr member
    Yes, I run all my rides this way this 30T up front. Seems to work just perfectly for me - climb anything and doesn't spin out on the way to and from the trail.

Used to run Middleburns, but with the PF30 thought I would give the AKA's ago - didn't realise they are std crank dia so I'll need a Sram Press Fit 30 To BSA Adapter. Fitted a PF30 before finding out, and delaying the build another day or so

Very meaty looking DT

I was worried about the drop out clamp bolts - siezing and rounding etc, but these look as if they stand up better to most I've seen, like the smaller dome headed steel bolts

Art is Resistance
    Here's mine:

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    not a fan either.

here's what I did:

Oh yeah, that's the way I'd go in an XL in one of these if I could build it up 3 x 9 with a 100mm fork. What's the head tube angle with a marzocchi set at 100mm?
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    This thread needs more photos.

Raijin Build Thread-img_6070.jpg

mtbr member
    Here's mine - 1st ride coming up today...

Niner RDO
    Moots seatpost
    1x9 X-9 Sram, Truvativ AKA with 30T Bling Ring, Paul keeper
    Hope Pro2's on Stans
    Treated her to some new XT brakes

Not the lightest of builds, but good and solid - as pictured 25 Lbs

Last edited by bonesetter2004; 09-20-2012 at 10:19 AM.

get down!
    Looks great! What's up with the electrical tape? Just curious...
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Looks great! What's up with the electrical tape? Just curious...
    LOL! It keeps the end of the bar tape in place

God this bike's FAST. Well impressed so far. On a couple of occasions I felt the bike running away from me. It builds speed very easily and very quickly. Makes my other bikes seem like plodders by comparison

Other thing, very confidence inspiring. I thought it felt a little 'steep' angle wise first off, but no worries at all, steep up or steep down, just likes being ragged about etc. I know it all sounds like the regular stuff you hear, but this bike really is VERY fast compared to everything else I've owned/ridden

It has flex too which is what I was after. Standing side on on a pedal you can see a good deal of movement in the CS/BB which all translates to good compliancy and comfort.

I guess you could summerise as flattering, fast & fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's mine - 1st ride coming up today...
    Sweet! I would love that bike! It does seem heavy though, without any one part standing out as the culprit. If the frame is 4.5 lbs, its pretty stout for ti.

Looking forward to your review and thoughts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Sweet! I would love that bike! It does seem heavy though, without any one part standing out as the culprit. If the frame is 4.5 lbs, its pretty stout for ti.

Looking forward to your review and thoughts.
    Have to say I was surprised at weigh in.

Could those Nobby Nic 2.4's be the lard on top?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Sweet! I would love that bike! It does seem heavy though, without any one part standing out as the culprit.
    Those grips are probably a pound of it... seriously.
    A nice, solid build though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Those grips are probably a pound of it... seriously.
    A nice, solid build though.
    LOL - 102 grms each, with bar ends - so that's just 1/2 lb. Where the heck's the rest

transmitter~receiver
    LOL - 102 grms each, with bar ends - so that's just 1/2 lb. Where the heck's the rest
    ah... a pair of those (Ergons?) I tried a number of years ago were over 400g. They must have made some improvements.

The Nobby Nics are heavy... don't have any data points on the 2.4s yet, but the 2.35s average 760g each. That cassette is heavy... as is your chain. Straight gauge spokes?

I'll admit it's a bit tough to see... my medium SS is 18.5 with her light shoes on (2.2 Ravens).

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast