Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Last edited by mowabb; 10-20-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Long Live the Gorn!
    Well I ordered a 2014 18" Today. Agonized over 18/19, I am smidge under 5' 10" with about 32" cycling inseam, I think I could ride either.. gonna run wider bars so hopefully 18 will be right /long enough. Working on build, SS XTR cranks Brakes, 240s and Arches and Chris Kind BB and Headset, Reba 100mm Fork. Will shoot a pic when put together. Thanks folks!

mtbr member
    Been loving mine...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 9 1/2" with a 31 inseam, and the 18 is perfect. You could always tweak it with a stem or setback seat post. It'll probably fit you great out of the box, though.

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS
    2016 Scott Big Jon

Long Live the Gorn!
    Quote Originally Posted by bvader View Post
    Well I ordered a 2014 18" Today. Agonized over 18/19, I am smidge under 5' 10" with about 32" cycling inseam, I think I could ride either.. gonna run wider bars so hopefully 18 will be right /long enough. Working on build, SS XTR cranks Brakes, 240s and Arches and Chris Kind BB and Headset, Reba 100mm Fork. Will shoot a pic when put together. Thanks folks!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Been loving mine...
    SPP
    Quote Originally Posted by schmed View Post
    I'm 5' 9 1/2" with a 31 inseam, and the 18 is perfect. You could always tweak it with a stem or setback seat post. It'll probably fit you great out of the box, though.
    Thanks Guys but Ugh...

Had my heart set on the 2014 Graphics...2014 18s are out (Some confusion on my part) ... Local shop has a 2013... with the banner style Kona on downtube...not sure why... but I am struggling with it... I am the guy that usually says don't let the little aesthetics bug you... but then again this is my Ti baby...other than that the frames are identical...decisions...

mtbr member
    I think the 2014 has a 12/142 rear axle set up and my 2013 has a standard 135 QR. But yes the frame build/geometry is the same, only the graphics and the replaceable drop outs are different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks Guys but Ugh...

Had my heart set on the 2014 Graphics...2014 18s are out (Some confusion on my part) ... Local shop has a 2013... with the banner style Kona on downtube...not sure why... but I am struggling with it... I am the guy that usually says don't let the little aesthetics bug you... but then again this is my Ti baby...other than that the frames are identical...decisions...
    I think the banner style looks great too. The fact it is etched makes it a bit more subtle than a painted banner. I'd think the 18 would be a good fit for you. I have an 18 and it's on the larger side of good for me (I'm 5'9"), but feels good with a 55mm stem. Have you hopped on one? I live in Redondo Beach, but often ride in the OC on the weekends.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Awesome builds here. Wondering a few things:

Is everyone using these as XC bikes? Anyone using it as a semi-AM bike with perhaps a 120mm fork?

Anybody got any more info on the Ti Honzo mentioned a few replies back?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm definitely using mine as a semi AM bike and love it as such. i run a dropper post and will take it on the more gnarly trails or when go somewhere new. It works great for me there cuz it is smoother than my carbon hardtail, but climbs much better than a full suspension. as far as fork, actually intended to run 120mm fork as the shop manager where i bought it does the same thing and suggested i do too. but i ended up using the fork elsewhere and i think the stand over would have ended up too tall for me. so the 100mm i use is fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm in the middle of building mine as an AM hardtail singlespeed. 120mm Fox fork, 750mm bar, 60mm stem, mavic crossmax ST wheelset and Ardent 2.4 front and rear. With the 120 fork on a Large frame the head tube angle is 69 degrees.....should be a really fun geometry and setup...I hope!

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Awesome, shoot some pics and let us know how it goes.

How tall are you? What's your saddle height from BB to top of saddle? Just trying to decide on size.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JasonHH View Post
    I'm in the middle of building mine as an AM hardtail singlespeed. 120mm Fox fork, 750mm bar, 60mm stem, mavic crossmax ST wheelset and Ardent 2.4 front and rear. With the 120 fork on a Large frame the head tube angle is 69 degrees.....should be a really fun geometry and setup...I hope!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm just a hair over 6 feet tall. Went with a 20" frame. Haven't put the saddle and seatpost on yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    Awesome, shoot some pics and let us know how it goes.

How tall are you? What's your saddle height from BB to top of saddle? Just trying to decide on size.

Thanks

Long Live the Gorn!
    Thanks Guys but Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX View Post
    I think the banner style looks great too. The fact it is etched makes it a bit more subtle than a painted banner. I'd think the 18 would be a good fit for you. I have an 18 and it's on the larger side of good for me (I'm 5'9"), but feels good with a 55mm stem. Have you hopped on one? I live in Redondo Beach, but often ride in the OC on the weekends.
    Hey Thanks so much for the offer... so here is what happened ... I seriously scoured the west and found one that is on the way to a Shop in Tahoe, bought it, it will be here in a ~2 weeks... so I am getting exactly what I wanted so the build is on!

Yes the banner is nice to ... not quit sure why I got so hung up / obsessed with it ... but some times I am not exactly in control of those things.

Sizewise I did extensive comparison... compared to my existing SS rig, I think the 18 is going to fit me great (My Spec is just a tad big/long) . Probably with a 50-60mm Stem. I know numbers don't mean everything but I feel pretty good about it.

Of course the comedy will be I went through all this and the size is not right

Raijin Build Thread-geos.jpg

V-Shaped Rut
    Just got mine put together, no time for a test ride even! No pics either, I'll get those tomorrow.

Mine is in SS mode. I had a trek superfly HT but it was both super stiff and I was always afraid of breaking it.

I took the parts off the fly and now I've got a 24 lb bike that I assume will not beat me up as much *AND* can have fun on the small stuff at the local park.

V-Shaped Rut
    Here we go! 18" frame, xx1 cranks, enduro ceramic bearings, 32/18 with NSB direct mount ring and niner cogalicious rear.

Everything else is pirated off my superfly. Weighs in a just under 24 lbs on the bathroom scale. Ride is incredible compared to the fly, so compliant but not at all noodly. Set a whole bunch of PRs on strava on the first ride.

Raijin Build Thread-20131207_102621_zps7wooamhb.jpg

Raijin Build Thread-20131207_102606_zpsh5hnxvwu.jpg

Long Live the Gorn!
    So my 2014 Frame is on the waaaayyyy!!!! Should get it in a day or 2, nice Christmas present to me! I started this adventure several months ago and now is the time.

I have a 100MM fork but I am thinking now that I want a 120... more "Trail" than Race.

You guys with the 120... loving it? Comments?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So my 2014 Frame is on the waaaayyyy!!!! Should get it in a day or 2, nice Christmas present to me! I started this adventure several months ago and now is the time.

I have a 100MM fork but I am thinking now that I want a 120... more "Trail" than Race.

You guys with the 120... loving it? Comments?
    Yes, loving the 120. The affect on climbing is negligible, and it handles nicely with it on there too. Just posted this pic in another thread, but as a So Cal guy, you'll probably recognize the location.
    Raijin Build Thread-image.jpg

EDIT: just saw the thread was exactly what you're asking about:
    Raijin 100mm vs 120mm
    Last edited by So Cal RX; 12-21-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: additional info

Long Live the Gorn!
    Cool thanks...
    BTW what fork is that?
    BTW 2 just finished riding there moments ago hero dirt!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Manitou Tower Pro. Was $250 at Price Point!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just finished my build today! 120mm fox fork, xt cranks and Surly ring and cog. XTR brakes, Easton havoc carbon bar and 70mm stem, 2.4 Ardents front and rear on Mavic Crossmax ST's. Should be a sweet "Trail" build. Weighs in at 25 and change. Too bad the trails are under snow for the next 3 months....time for a road trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raijin Build Thread-rajin.jpg  

get down!
    bad ass bro!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Long Live the Gorn!
    Nice!... uhh Actually that's an understatement! NICE!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonHH View Post
    Just finished my build today! 120mm fox fork, xt cranks and Surly ring and cog. XTR brakes, Easton havoc carbon bar and 70mm stem, 2.4 Ardents front and rear on Mavic Crossmax ST's. Should be a sweet "Trail" build. Weighs in at 25 and change. Too bad the trails are under snow for the next 3 months....time for a road trip.
    Wow!! just how much clearance is there between the rear tire and seat tube?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    7 mm. Not bad really.

mtbr member
    Raijin Build Thread-1404650780_16020-640.jpg

Go go go..!

mtbr member
    and after the race...

Raijin Build Thread-img_4740-640.jpg

V-Shaped Rut
    I'm going FS, anyone wants mine shoot me a PM. Not sure if I'm supposed to pay for an advert, if so I'll happily do so if anyone here is interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    I'm going FS, anyone wants mine shoot me a PM. Not sure if I'm supposed to pay for an advert, if so I'll happily do so if anyone here is interested.
    My Raijin has become my all purpose and all mountain bike. That said my beautiful XL Jet-9 RDO XX1 is sitting and collecting dust. Commission to anyone who helps it find a more useful home.

mtbr member
    Nice bike for sure but I think they should do the chain stay like the old Schwinn Homegrown. The same on both sides of the tire. It is possible that there is a bias between the chain stays with the plate only on one side, and it would be stronger with a symmetrical plate arrangement on both sides of the tire. Kind of like their (lynskey) twisted down tube, biased to one side probably...
    That said it is still awesome......I have two of their frames.
    2012 TI El Mar
    2010 TI El Mar
    motobecane TI 29er
    redline d440 20er
    Schwinn Homegrown

mtbr member
    Not sure why it posted twice?

mtbr member
    Absolutely loving these builds, I'm currently in the market for a Ti frame that I can run either geared or SS so the Raijin is definitely in contention...

mtbr member

Raijin Build Thread

Raijin Build Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1406063040.119852.jpg

Update

mtbr member
    Did you guys noticed that that Raijin was dropped from the Kona 2015 lineup?
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    I guess the value of mine just went up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Did you guys noticed that that Raijin was dropped from the Kona 2015 lineup?
    Scroll to the bottom. I thought the same thing, but some of the frames are way down there.

mtbr member
    Damn, on the contrary, they are expanding the Ti line and now offer four different frames!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks jacoborf for that photo. I couldn't find it after I saw thumbnail on ForoMTB.com.
    Do you have tubeless these onza, and did you weight these tires?

mtbr member

Raijin Build Thread

Thank you.

These Onza tires are not tubeless. But I have assembled as they were ;-) No problems and good performance after few months xc hard riding at 1.6-1.8bar with 150ml NoTubes liquid on each. I do not remember the weight but around 600-650gr each. Bike weight is under 10kg about 9.7-9.8kg...

V-Shaped Rut
    Hey guys. Second guessing what I'm selling my raijin for. What would you reasonably pay for a used raijin with XX1 cranks, king headset, 1x10 (x7 shifter x9 rear d), ea70 carbon bars/stem, and bontrager everything else including wheelset?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

My Raijin

I just got built up. I went all Shimano XT, including the wheels and pedals. I already had the wheels from a different bike. They are heavy but will have to do for now. Thompson seat post and just a generic Kona stem. I went with a Sid XX World Cup Fork-very light!. I got it to about 25.5 lbs. I like to get it to around 24. I'm guessing a different wheel set would do the trick. Very smooth ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raijin Build Thread-facebook-20140812-114652.jpg  

mtbr member
    UPDATE

The Raijin hasn't been getting much love of late since the acquisition of a Stooge...

So, I thought I would put the Niner RDO fork back on which would get me out on it again, but compared to the Stooge the front end is loads lower and makes for a completely different ride - main thing is a ton more weight on the front which makes for a slow, harsh time of things...

So, what about going FAT front?

Looking through this thread I see only one build and that was a stop gap off a Pugsley while waiting for another fork

Anyone gone fat on theirs??

I'm hoping that would 'work' in lifting the front a bit more

get down!
    Still teetering between selling my 20" first gen Raijin or keeping it. So I took it down to the LBS and stuffed a 2.8" WTB 27.5 tire on a 30mm internal China carbon rim in there and to my surprise it fits with room to spare and this is with the sliders slammed. So I may hang onto it and do a 29+/27.5+ set up. :-)

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Still teetering between selling my 20" first gen Raijin or keeping it.
    Not sure how you could.
    Me?
    Never, dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

get down!
    I have a cold heart. :-)

mtbr member
    Raijin forever!

Attack Position
    Still teetering between selling my 20" first gen Raijin or keeping it. So I took it down to the LBS and stuffed a 2.8" WTB 27.5 tire on a 30mm internal China carbon rim in there and to my surprise it fits with room to spare and this is with the sliders slammed. So I may hang onto it and do a 29+/27.5+ set up. :-)
    What metro area bike shop had that wheel and tire combo in stock?
    Last edited by waffleBeast; 11-20-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    Lone biker of the apocalypse.

mtbr member

Raijin Build Thread

May you measure how width is this combo (rim + tyre). Do you know if your LBS could try it on a MootoX YBB? It's on my mind.

Thx in advance

get down!
    My LBS isn't a Moots dealer. I will see if I can get the measurment up. Raijin is for sale again, looking for $1K plus shipping. It's boxed up ready to rock. Don't make me build up this rocking 27.5+/29+ combo!

mtbr member

Raijin Build Thread

Thanks amigo!

mtbr member
    Some great stuff in this thread-
    Building mine soon enough with a mix of old and new parts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the King bb set up for this frame?
    Normally I like XTR bb- reliable and not too expensive.
    Creaking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by grouan View Post
    Some great stuff in this thread-
    Building mine soon enough with a mix of old and new parts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the King bb set up for this frame?
    Normally I like XTR bb- reliable and not too expensive.
    Creaking?
    What cranks are you using? I've heard good things about the King press fit BB, but you'll need an adapter if using Shimano 24 mm cranks. I have the Praxis PF30 to 24mm conversion with my XT cranks and it has been great.

Good luck on the build. Be sure to post some pics when it's done!

mtbr member
    Thank you

The cranks are either shimano xt or race face- certainly will post up pictures.
    Hope to have everything ready to go by next weekend

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Any 2015's built up yet? Seems the geometry has been updated a bit. A touch slacker, touch lower BB, less standover on the 18" vs 17" as they sloped the top tube down a bit more, and 31.6 seat tube so it can take droppers. I'm about to pull the trigger to upgrade my 2013 Salsa El Mariachi to a Ti and more "trail friendly" geometry.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Any pics??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    Any pics??
    KONA BIKES | 2015 BIKES | TRAIL 29" HT | RAIJIN

Looks like they went to a threaded BB too. I haven't had trouble with my PF (I use the Praxis conversion and it has worked great so far), but ooh, that plus the better standover of the 17" vs. my 18" is kinda tempting.

mtbr member
    ^ THanks.

Raijin dials a bit sweeter

As much as I like my Raijin though, I can't see me upgrading for ~30mm less standover and 5mm lower BB

mtbr member
    I run a KS Lev 27.2 on my Raijin with no issues, but the more robust 31.6 would be better and a 5mm lower BB would too. But that said I agree with bones and would not upgrade for just that as I have two other LIGHTER carbon bikes that get less attention combine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

2014 18' Kona Raijin Build photos. 29er. Ti frame.

Kona Raijin 18'
    Here is my 2014 18' Raijin. Just over a week old.. its a bullet!
    Frame ordered from Hibike in Germany. Decent prices.
    #konaraijin
    Standover is very tight after moving up from a 10 year old 17' kona Kula Deluxe 26 inch (with V-brakes LOL) but on the trail I haven't even noticed it which is a huge relief.

Built up with lots of goodies
    XTR Hope ZTR Renthal FSA Ritchey Sixpack Reverse KCNC Rockshox SID
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raijin Build Thread-1487068_10153070274405709_421983285_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-10999044_10153041726940709_2118496329_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11000483_10153039481095709_939746875_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11028424_10153039480950709_1789083855_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11028548_10153036803000709_289446898_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11028596_10153039481380709_570044722_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11028704_10153034530060709_1200533495_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11028839_10153039481535709_1889426865_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11030796_10153034362695709_2107380409_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11033373_10153034528105709_786268380_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11034614_10153036809665709_119094624_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11034669_10153034525770709_702048020_o-1-.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11034782_10153039481750709_2122913688_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11034785_10153039481460709_274336033_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11042036_10153041727965709_615927265_n.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11045651_10153039480505709_274174044_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11045738_10153034529290709_1586725300_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11045971_10153041727700709_1443938434_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11047198_10153041727980709_93670600_n.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11063990_10153059363740709_767983489_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11064402_10153059892790709_994519683_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11065439_10153056676455709_1669310322_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-11065655_10153054151625709_451203957_o.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-20150308_172737.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-20150311_211036.jpg  

Raijin Build Thread-1425799452378.jpeg  

Raijin Build Thread-1425799459978.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

2014 Raijin Build

Raijin Build Thread-image.jpgRaijin Build Thread-image.jpgRaijin Build Thread-image.jpg
    2014 Raijin 18"

Old pics - some changes since

18" Frame
    120mm Fox ctd fork (going to change it to 120mm Pike soon ...... the 2014 fox is pretty weak)
    XTR drive train (3x10) (now 1x10 with a 42t expander)
    XTR brakes
    Thompson Elite Post (now a Thompson dropper)
    Fizik Gobi Saddle
    Easton Havoc 750mm Carbon bar
    70mm Thompson Stem (now a 55mm Easton Haven)
    Renthal Grips
    Hope Pro II hubs / Pancenti TR29 Rims
    High Roller II/Crossmark Tyres

Pics in Bigwood in Northern Ireland and NUT Oregon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dolanc View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	1032269Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	304.0 KB 
ID:	1032270Click image for larger version. 

Views:	34 
Size:	244.7 KB 
ID:	1032271
    2014 Raijin 18"

Old pics - some changes since

18" Frame
    120mm Fox ctd fork (going to change it to 120mm Pike soon ...... the 2014 fox is pretty weak)
    XTR drive train (3x10) (now 1x10 with a 42t expander)
    XTR brakes
    Thompson Elite Post (now a Thompson dropper)
    Fizik Gobi Saddle
    Easton Havoc 750mm Carbon bar
    70mm Thompson Stem (now a 55mm Easton Haven)
    Renthal Grips
    Hope Pro II hubs / Pancenti TR29 Rims
    High Roller II/Crossmark Tyres

Pics in Bigwood in Northern Ireland and NUT Oregon
    Nice build. Weight?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Nice build. Weight?
    A little over 25 lb. when the pics were taken - not sure with the dropper and 1x10. Still feels light.

mtbr member

Raijin Build Thread

You can reduce a lot with 1x11 mine is 9.8kg (21.6lb) 19" 2012 model

Raijin Build Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1448990817.369129.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I built up mine with 27.5 wheels. The 2.8 WTB Trailblazers fit fine with room to spare. Detailed pictures of the build here: Kona Raijin Ti by Erik Plankton

eri
    mtbr member
    Had a great ride today. I'm just so happy with this bike.

Prototype Raijin, 2012, 20". Currently 23#5oz.

Raijin Build Thread-iphonephotos10_22_2016-999.jpg

Raijin Build Thread-iphonephotos10_22_2016-1001.jpg

Raijin Build Thread-iphonephotos10_22_2016-1007.jpg

mtbr member
    Here's another Raijin. Bought few weeks ago 2nd hand 2014 frame and Carver fork. I had a lot parts from previous bikes so I purchased wheelset and tires and built it together.

Frame: Raijin 2014, size 18"
    Fork: Carver Trail 490, planning Reba 100mm for summer
    Wheelset: DT 240S hubs, Arch mk3 rims, Sapin spokes
    Tires: Maxxis Ardent / Ikon for summer, Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro for winter

For winter it's going to be singlespeed with 32/18 gearing. Will have 1x10 for summer.
    Other parts will be changing when I have few km's to test different combinations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raijin Build Thread-snapseed.jpg  

Surly ICT
    Kona Raijin

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I'm eyeing this for my "future" SS build too. Good job, Dennis!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    I have over 4000 miles on my Raijin and am refreshing some parts (wheels, fork, post, cables/hoses). Will be mostly blacked out. Excited for the updates and will post some pics here later.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 13