drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

New question here. Rabbit Hole Rim with non-Knard Tires?

So what 29" tires have you used with any tire except the Knard, and what did you think of it?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Continental 2.4 on a RH measures 65mm
    Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

This place needs an enema
    2.4 Ardents. Way more harsh than Knard, but much bigger than you'd think, too. Good compromise for those that 26 x 4, 29 x 2.4, and 650b x 2.4276685 aren't quite perfect for...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Forgot to mention that the Conti's get a bit blockheaded?/squared out profile when pressure is moderate, where the Ardents keep their more rounded form..
    Ridin ridin ridin..... raw ti!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    In case anyone was interested. Only put in about 10 miles and them, and didn't push too hard, so can't really review them. They did feel a little softer (I kept checking for flats). I'm wondering how well they'll hold up to rocky trails.

Vertigo w/ Rabbit Hole Rims and 29x2.4" Tires by bundokbiker, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    In case anyone was interested. Only put in about 10 miles and them, and didn't push too hard, so can't really review them. They did feel a little softer (I kept checking for flats). I'm wondering how well they'll hold up to rocky trails.
    Please post back when you've got more time on them. They look good. Do they offer any improvements over say the Blunt 35 rim? I assume you are only not using the Knard because they won't fit...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Please post back when you've got more time on them. They look good. Do they offer any improvements over say the Blunt 35 rim? I assume you are only not using the Knard because they won't fit...
    I wanted to see how a skinnier/lighter tire would work, but the 29" Knards fit:

Vertigo Fat Bike with 29+" x 3" tires by bundokbiker, on Flickr

I've never had the Blunt. Widest 29" rim I've ever had is the Stan's Flow. Frankly, I love how the Husker Du's work the best, but I'll play with the 29" tires for a lil bit...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've never had the Blunt. Widest 29" rim I've ever had is the Stan's Flow. Frankly, I love how the Husker Du's work the best, but I'll play with the 29" tires for a lil bit...
    I won't bother reminding you that you are all kinds of awesome, and just say thanks for your posts. Would you mind telling me what 26" rim you use with your Husker Du's, and whether you have tried different rim widths with that tire?

I ask because I originally got a 50mm (Uma?) and use a Larry. Earlier this year I had Jeff build me a 72mm wheel with 26" Knard. That wheel has me underwhelmed for reasons I can't explain. I've been running a Flow wheel with Ardent 2.4, and the fun seems to have come back, though I do take more of a beating. I need to put my 50mm Larry back on and see how that goes for me. I am very interested in the Husker Du. If money were no object I would probably want a wheel for the 3" 29+ Knard though...

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I won't bother reminding you that you are all kinds of awesome, and just say thanks for your posts. Would you mind telling me what 26" rim you use with your Husker Du's, and whether you have tried different rim widths with that tire?

I ask because I originally got a 50mm (Uma?) and use a Larry. Earlier this year I had Jeff build me a 72mm wheel with 26" Knard. That wheel has me underwhelmed for reasons I can't explain. I've been running a Flow wheel with Ardent 2.4, and the fun seems to have come back, though I do take more of a beating. I need to put my 50mm Larry back on and see how that goes for me. I am very interested in the Husker Du. If money were no object I would probably want a wheel for the 3" 29+ Knard though...
    Hey, sorry for the late response

I am using Speedway Uma 50mm rim on the front and rear. The front wheel is what I had on my Jones for the last 5 years, and it's still running strong. I built up the rear last year specifically for this bike.

I also had a wheelset built with Marge Lite wheels, which I played with for a little while. The front is for a Lefty (which I haven't ridden much), and the I unbuilt the rear to use for the Rabbit Hole wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey, sorry for the late response
    That only counts if you had been laid up in the hospital or something. Oh wait... Glad you are doing okay.

I think I need to find a Husker Du, and just ride. If I could only make my BB stop creaking. What's the torque spec for the Jones BB?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    So after doing a bit of riding on the RH + Ardent 2.4 setup, I am here to say that I don't like them as much as the RH + Knard 29 combo. Why? Well, I don't like how the wide rim flattens out the tread, and negatively affecting how the tires usually handle on off-camber trails and roots. I also noticed it was harder to fine tune the pressure; It doesn't take much air to go from too hard to too soft. I ended up getting a few pinch flats, which doesn't happen that often with me. I didn't hit any gnarrock gardens with this setup, but I'd be concerned about denting them because of the lack of tire protection.

So for now, back to the Knard 29 with the Rabbit Hole rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ...What's the torque spec for the Jones BB?
    According to Bushnell, 75-90 in/lb (I go 90 in/lb). According to Jeff--"pretty snug."

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    According to Bushnell, 75-90 in/lb (I go 90 in/lb). According to Jeff--"pretty snug."
    I don't have a torque wrench, but I've bent/twisted/broken more than a few hex wrenches trying to get it snug enough to stop squeaking

mtbr member
    if it helps on the bushnell,
    http://www.bushnelltandems.com/eccinstructions.pdf
    10nm for me. i use purple loctite on the 4mm bolt that expands the wedge system and ti prep from finishline on the moving parts of the bushnell and phil grease inside the shell of the frame. never squeaks...