mtbr member

Rabbit hole or Dually

Which is better tubeless? Whats your set up? I really hate burps!Just looking for info .
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Which is better tubeless? Whats your set up? I really hate burps!Just looking for info .
    Thanks
    I vote neither! If you want to do tubeless right with a 29+ tire, either wait for the Notubes Hugo, or order a pair of the Nextie Jungle Fox 50mm carbon rims.

mtbr member
    That's kinda what I figured. Ill wait for a Hugo and Chronical someday.

mtbr member
    Had the same dilemma a few days ago, and went with the Dually's even though they need some tweaking to run a knard tubeless. This review pushed me over the edge for them: Longterm review: 6000km on Velocity Dually 29? Rims | Off Route

I am sure Stan's Hugo rims will be better, but I didn't feel like waiting.

mtbr member
    Im not totally opposed to going ghetto set up but if im going to spend the $ may be best to wait for Stans. I tried Velocity blunt 35's they sucked,also Speedway uma 50's
    they sucked also impossible to set up tubless at all. Anybody know how reliable ghetto rabbit set is?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I went with duallies, built them in April, mounted the knards, then waited till August to get my frame. One wheel has 2 layers of gorilla tape, the other just has 1 layer of Stans yellow tape. Both were hard to get the bead to seat, lots of leakage around the bead. Once they were seated they stayed pretty good. If the pressure got too low (about 5psi) they would leak down completely but I could air them back up just fine. Once I started riding them they have been fine, no burping, no leaking and they have barely lost any air at all. I have been running about 12-13 psi even on rocky terrain.
    I would still prefer the hugo's but these do seem to work fine once the tires take a seat.

mtbr member
    I wonder how much the tubeless issues all relate to the manufacturing variation in the Knard bead diameter versus the dually design? While I think the duallies should have had a bead shelf ridge right out of the gate, I'm not so sure it would make much of a difference with knards. Though, I may be singing a different tune once I have these wheels built up, and am trying to mount my 120 tpi knards on them.
    Last edited by croatiansensation; 10-16-2014 at 11:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Just got word from the Stans rep. End of Oct for the Hugo. That's what she said so maybe newyears?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by croatiansensation View Post
    Had the same dilemma a few days ago, and went with the Dually's even though they need some tweaking to run a knard tubeless. This review pushed me over the edge for them: Longterm review: 6000km on Velocity Dually 29? Rims | Off Route

I am sure Stan's Hugo rims will be better, but I didn't feel like waiting.
    So exact same initial results as the guy who wrote the review. 1/2 inch wide strips of gorilla tape to make ghetto bead shelf ridges followed by two layers of 2 inch-ish wide gorilla tape as the 120 TPI Knards I was using would not fit snugly with only one layer. Tire beads seated securely with the help of some water and dishsoap solution, but would only hold about 15 psi without sealant. 6 oz of Orange Seal in each tire, a lot of shaking, and sealant bubbling around the bead later, and both tires held around 30 PSI overnight.

Won't know how burp free this setup will be when used in anger until next month as I won't get my Krampus frame until then.

mtbr member
    Just a quick update on the Nextie 50mm Jungle Fox rims. I have been riding them for a couple of weeks now with great results. They just need normal narrow Stan's tape to cover the spoke holes, that's it. I mounted my well used 120tpi Knards on them first with a tube to get the beads seated, then un-seated one bead, removed tube, installed tubeless valve (WTB), and then aired up with a floor pump. I had to pull the loose bead toward the wall a bit just to get it to start inflating, but then pop, it seated perfectly. They held air overnight without sealant. I then deflated, removed the valve core, injected some Stan's goo, and re-inflated. To my surprise, there was no weaping from the beads or even from the well used 120 Knard sidewalls, which are very thin.

Highly recommended!

mtbr member
    I've been running a Knard Gorilla tubeless on a Rabbit Hole and have just switched to a Hans Dampf - no problem

I put one strip sticky facing out, then another facing in (so the two stuck together)

Works great as the tape fits inside the rim 'perfectly'

I can't see any issues - a mate runs the same and is happy

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have no experience with the Dually, but I can say the RH is the most trouble free/air tight tubeless setup I have. (Includes Flows, Gordo, and some WTB rim)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Im not totally opposed to going ghetto set up but if im going to spend the $ may be best to wait for Stans. I tried Velocity blunt 35's they sucked,also Speedway uma 50's
    they sucked also impossible to set up tubless at all. Anybody know how reliable ghetto rabbit set is?
    very reliable ghetto'd my RHs last year and have been running them with 120 tpi knards ever since.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by croatiansensation View Post
    So exact same initial results as the guy who wrote the review. 1/2 inch wide strips of gorilla tape to make ghetto bead shelf ridges followed by two layers of 2 inch-ish wide gorilla tape as the 120 TPI Knards I was using would not fit snugly with only one layer. Tire beads seated securely with the help of some water and dishsoap solution, but would only hold about 15 psi without sealant. 6 oz of Orange Seal in each tire, a lot of shaking, and sealant bubbling around the bead later, and both tires held around 30 PSI overnight.

Won't know how burp free this setup will be when used in anger until next month as I won't get my Krampus frame until then.
    Not sure if anyone gives a damn, but figured that I would follow up after putting around 100 miles on this setup. In short, zero problems while running them at 10 PSI in the front and 12 PSI in the back other than the rear knard having a slightly wobbly casing. I would say they have the stamp of approval given I am a Clyde who weighs 225 Lbs.