Thread: R.i.p. Niner

AussieLostInNyc

R.i.p. Niner

Info is up on the site this morning. Not sure if you have all seen it.
    Who is going to have the first build and review?
    B12yan88 got yours yet for a photo post??
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

Where's Toto?
    Annodized finish in gold or silver...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bikeoholic

good golly...

I have to say, after I sold my 26" full suser and got my Dos Niner softtail I would be done with Full Suspenion rigs forever...

I now really want to take that back... That is a beautiful bike in all apsects... I have to say though, I would probably go for the silver... I'm just not the biggest fan of gold bling...

In anycase that is a simply gorgeous bike that any man would be lucky to own... now I just have to decide which bike I'm going to get rid of and how I'm going to justify a thousand and a half on a frame...
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

Where's Toto?
    Weight is 6.5 lbs for a medium. For comparison, a Ventana El Capitan in 19 frame size weighs 6.43 lbs. More pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

College
    Jun 2004
    Oh wow, i haven't seen it yet. I heard i will be getting the first one, but they won't be shipping until august =(
    College boy

carpe diem
    Jan 2004

Stop It!

Gumby - I blame you for all of my recent life changes.

You were the first person I ever rode with about two years ago that had a 29'er and single speed no less igniting crazy thoughts. Since then I have spent countless hours of my life lurking on this and the SS forum with disregard for much else.

I had foresaken my full suspension bike to ride my hardtail in single speed fashion.

I ended up selling my full sussy frame as well as a second long travel fully and parts I had stashed away for future use to fund new ideas in my head.

I spent more countless hours researching frames, wheels, hubs, and tires. Another fully frame hangs on the wall without parts and lifeless.

When I thought I was ready this year, I pulled the trigger and all the bits started to show up on my doorstep. My S.O. keeps asking what all these boxes are. My little one wonders why I spend so much time in the garage.

This month I roll out my first SS 29'er not knowing what to expect. It's a S.I.R. 9 that rides better than anything else I have ever owned.

I thought I was done looking and done with full suspension. And now you start posting stuff like this? Next thing I'll find myself busting my arse trying to huck stuff at Sprain or Blue....

Thought I should say thanks for the initiation into 29'ers

giddy up!
    Anyone know what the MSRP is?

Thanks,

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey

Thanks,

B
    $1549 per Niner's website.

mtbr member
    Purty.

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey

Thanks,

B

Interesting question...

Got your wheels turning?

LP

mtbr member

bottom pivot

I don't know about you guys but I think that bottom pivot is poorly designed. How many hits can it take before it breaks?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by onegeargood
    I don't know about you guys but I think that bottom pivot is poorly designed. How many hits can it take before it breaks?
    It you are hitting the link on anything you have bigger problems to worry about than damaging it.
    IMG_4039.jpg
    IMG_4031.jpg
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

College
    Jun 2004
    I would say it's better hitting a replacable link than a whole frame if the bottom bracket goes. At any rate most people probably won't hit that before they hit the chain rings or bashguard.
    College boy

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    Weight is 6.5 lbs for a medium. For comparison, a Ventana El Capitan in 19” frame size weighs 6.43 lbs. More pics...

Not a criticism because I know that bike is a prototype, but in the last pic showing the bridge it looks like someone screwed up the compensation direction or comp type on the machining of the left hand pocket. Looks like they had cutter comp turned off for that one.
    Last edited by DWF; 06-17-2006 at 09:28 PM.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Cool bike. Glad to see more options. Can't wait to hear real world ride reports and comparos vs. Lenz and Ventana duallies.

I must admit that it looks "busy". Lots of small diameter/thin bits of Al and multiple little pieces of hardware.

I hope it works as advertised. Go Niner.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

AussieLostInNyc
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moto
    Gumby - I blame you for all of my recent life changes.
    Thought I should say thanks for the initiation into 29'ers
    My pleasure Bob, long time no see or even hear from. You did go into semi lurker mode as did I.
    Spending more time on the home board, www.nycmtb.com
    Been 'researching' other types of riding but the KM is my go to bike for most rides.
    I would love to check out your build and hook up for a ride. Only rode Ringwwood twice in Winter and not at alll yet this spring / summer.
    Need to clear up a nasty case of poison ivy curtesy of a TM day then I will be back in the saddle.
    Simon
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy

I must admit that it looks "busy". Lots of small diameter/thin bits of Al and multiple little pieces of hardware.
    Yes, i must agree it looks a little busy, but just the same as other Fs bikes with gears. I wish they made the bike for full housing for a slightly cleaner look.
    College boy

mtbr member
    Shiggy, what would those problems be?

carpe diem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby
    My pleasure Bob, long time no see or even hear from. You did go into semi lurker mode as did I.
    Spending more time on the home board, www.nycmtb.com
    Been 'researching' other types of riding but the KM is my go to bike for most rides.
    I would love to check out your build and hook up for a ride. Only rode Ringwwood twice in Winter and not at alll yet this spring / summer.
    Need to clear up a nasty case of poison ivy curtesy of a TM day then I will be back in the saddle.
    Simon
    Simon - Hope your poison ivy clears ups quickly! Your really pushing that KM to its limits based on some of the pics I've seen. I can see why your looking at other options. Would love to ride with you again sometime soon. Although riding with me won't be as extreme or fast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Cool bike. Glad to see more options. Can't wait to hear real world ride reports and comparos vs. Lenz and Ventana duallies.

I hope it works as advertised. Go Niner.
    It woulda been kind of cool if they had tried a cromoly rear triangle a la Balfa and their idea of going AL up front and Cromo in the rear with their frames like the Belair, 2Step, and bb7. Might have helped with tire clearance issues as well, as that seemed like an issue that may have caused a lot of time spent in the design of this frame.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by onegeargood
    Shiggy, what would those problems be?

think about it. if you're bashing the link, what about the chainrings? they hang down lower than any FS linkage...at least that I've seen. your chainring will be deeply embedded into something when you're bashing the link....or crashed.

(wipes drool off keyboard) man I want one. hmm. bonus coming in november