mathlete
    Nov 2007

Quiver suggestion

I would like some opinions from my two wheeled brethren on a "which bike" dilemma I've been wrestling with. I'm trying to decide on a two bike quiver to meet my current riding habits. These days I've been doing more XC endurance races, 12&24 hr events, Xterra off-road triathlons and a shorter XC race or two. I am thinking of replacing one of my bikes with an Anthem X29. My current quiver consists of a hardtail Giant XTC 29er and a Niner RIP9. Should I go ht XTC 29er & Anthem X29 or Anthem X29 & Rip9?

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Keep the RIP 9, and get a nice hardtail. As far as which one, I think it would be pretty hard to beat custom. I got one from Strong Frames and is easily has the best ride quality that I've ever seen in a bike. He has ti and carbon options, and Carl is a super good guy.

Strong Frames | Home
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Your Best Friend
    I'll say the opposite. The Rip9 is overkill for everything you are doing. Keep the hardtail, get the Anthem. The Anthem is an excellent endurance platform and even does well in shorter stuff.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    How are your current bikes not cutting it? What problem are you trying to solve?

IMO, no way should you have both the RIP and Anthem. Two 29ers separated by 3/4" of suspension travel is just too much overlap.

How about selling both and picking up a carbon 4" 29er?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    Like the Anthem?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    How are your current bikes not cutting it? What problem are you trying to solve?

IMO, no way should you have both the RIP and Anthem. Two 29ers separated by 3/4" of suspension travel is just too much overlap.

The issue I've been dealing with is this: Up until recently the HT has been my weapon of choice for racing and 85% of my normal riding. Recently my back has been giving me issues after the longer events with lots of technical single track. I find it takes me longer to recover (possible OMS- old man syndrome). I do lots of core strength training so I don't think a weak core is the issue. Some of us are gifted athletes and are blessed with bodies that preserve better and there are the others (me included). I'm just not certain if I'm at that point where I hang up the HT for endurance racing purposes.

I really enjoy the Rip and have raced in all of the aforementioned occasions. I have done several events at the same venue/racecourse with similar trail conditions and have the data that i'm a couple of minutes slower on the Rip. I bought the Rip with grand inspirations of visiting family out west and riding "big" in NorCal and NV. It was purchased as an "go anywhere -fun" bike not a XC race tool. I live in S.E. Tx and central Texas hill country is about as big as I've ridden in 10 years. Don't get me wrong Tx has TONS of great technical riding and can certainly push the Rip the way it was meant to be ridden but I seldom get to visit those trails and use the Rip to it's full potential. I'd do just fine on 95% of my usual haunts on a XC FS bike.

If I had the cheddar I'd definitely look at a 4" travel carbon wunder bike that sort of rhymes with "get mine arh dee yo". The price is right for the Anthem; I have a friend who is selling his because he is a single speed die hard and "does not like messin with the fancy pivots and stuff." I dig the maestro suspension, I've owned a Reign before I purchased the Rip.

I had similar thoughts with the Anthem and Rip overlapping capabilities. I like the idea of having the Rip for the imaginary road trip out west but history has proven that that ride is not very likely

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I live in Dallas, and as much as I would dig a bike like the RIP, I'd be far better served with a lighter 4" travel bike. In the long run, you can always rent a bike on your out of town adventures, should they ever materialize.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a 2011 Anthem X29er 2, a 2012 XTC Composite 0 and a 2011 RIP 9. For rolling singletrack here in Michigan with our shares of roots and short steep hills, the Anthem is my go to bike. I use my XTC on a fast, flatter course. The RIP 9 is comfortable, but slower on the hills and I find that it is my last choice. I have few chances to use the RIP its full potential, but can afford to keep it for those infrequent opportunities. My Anthem is 28 lbs and my RIP is 30. I have read suggestions that a RIP can be brought down to a X-country weight, but for me, it will never be as fast and agile as the Anthem on the singletrack that I usually ride.

It sounds like an Anthem would be perfect for you and they are a good value. If you think you are still going to find times when you will use your XTC, keep it instead of the RIP. If your back can't handle the XTC anymore, maybe keep the RIP for those infrequent trips to the hill country or as a backup for the Anthem. IMHO, that would be the way to go. Of course, if you have the funds, you could get rid of the XTC and the RIP and get a JET 9 Carbon. I hope to that some day. It would be the light, fast and versatile.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Dear Katniss,

Techniclly a Quiver is defined as: An archer's case for holding arrows. So are you talking about a new garage for your collection of bikes- thats the quivelant of the quiver, yes?the place that actually holds the bikes?? Would any of these be better words to describe the post?

Assemblage, assortment, batch, caboodle, clump, cluster, hoard, lots, medley, mess, muster, pile, selection, set, stack, stockpile, store?

I tend to prefer "suggestion for my stockpile" and " caboodle suggestion" has a nice ring to it as well.

Can we please lobby here to stop using the word Quiver to describe a collection of bikes and please mandate the use of the word CABOODLE from now on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa View Post
    Dear Katniss,

Techniclly a Quiver is defined as: An archer's case for holding arrows. So are you talking about a new garage for your collection of bikes- thats the quivelant of the quiver, yes?the place that actually holds the bikes?? Would any of these be better words to describe the post?

Assemblage, assortment, batch, caboodle, clump, cluster, hoard, lots, medley, mess, muster, pile, selection, set, stack, stockpile, store?

I tend to prefer "suggestion for my stockpile" and " caboodle suggestion" has a nice ring to it as well.

Can we please lobby here to stop using the word Quiver to describe a collection of bikes and please mandate the use of the word CABOODLE from now on?
    And while we're at it, let's stop "pulling the trigger" on new bikes! Just buy the damn thing, don't shoot it! Don't get me wrong, I'm not some anti-gun advocate or anything, but that phrase is so over used that it now just sounds plain dumb when I hear or see it for doing something.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa View Post
    Dear Katniss,

Mom? Is that you? You know Dad hates it when you drink too much.

banned
    Pull my finger. Sorry I do'nt have anything constructive to add.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    And while we're at it, let's stop "pulling the trigger" on new bikes! Just buy the damn thing, don't shoot it! Don't get me wrong, I'm not some anti-gun advocate or anything, but that phrase is so over used that it now just sounds plain dumb when I hear or see it for doing something.
    I think you should sell the RIP, then pull the trigger on the Anthem and add it to your quiver along with the XTC.