mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Quick Poll 29er Rubber - Rampage, WTB EXI or Notos XC

Need to order some 29er tires today and thought the WTB Exiwolf 2.3s were it, but the reviews seem to disagree. Building up a 3x9 Soma Juice with a MX Comp bomber for riding in the rooty, rocky, sandy & muddy north east singletrack (NJ).

Debating between the WTB Exiwolf Race 2.3 (620 gr) , Panaracer Rampage 2.3 (788 gr) and the IRC Notos XC 2.1 (700x52 - 735 gr). The IRCs are wire bead and dirt cheap which is a factor in my build.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or other suggestions!

small member
    Jun 2006
    Notos...
    cheaper is better!
    (and they're the only ones I've ridden yet!)

mtbnj.com
    Rampage in the front, Ignitor in the back
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

I am Walt
    I love Rampages here in AZ, but on one ride I did on SoCal, it was muddy, and my Rampage front picked up a load of sh*t and was very heavy and slow. A small sample, to be sure, but I'd avoid the Rampage for muddy conditions.
    Ride more; post less...

No longer 26
    In 26" land, I liked the Notos rear Mythos front combo. I have only used the notos on the rear on my 29er but liked it the short time I used it. It was already worn a bit when I got it and replaced it shortly after for a little more volume. But ended up with little ride difference from what I can tell.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Recovering
    I ride those same trails. Avoid the Exi at all costs. Great when it's dry, but it's so rarely dry up here. The thing clogs with mud quickly, then you're left with zero traction.

Just rode some Rampages at Stewart State Forest a couple weeks ago. Great tire. High volume, floats along well, tons of traction even in the mud, but still seemed to roll fast. I've got Ignitors on my hardtail, and love em, too. Fast, great grip, corner well, and shed mud VERY well...
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    if you want traction in dirt, roots, rocks, and off-camber stuff(you know, base NE type trails) the rampage is the only choice.
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What! No Nevegal? That would be my choice.

Birthday Collector
    Ask around your locals about the Specialized Resolution 29 x 2.3 - seem to work well in many conditions and the bit of mud I have had mine in came off with no issues (other than my shorts and jersey getting brown polka-dots!).

banned
    Rampage all around/Geax Saguaros for speed

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    Ask around your locals about the Specialized Resolution 29 x 2.3 - seem to work well in many conditions and the bit of mud I have had mine in came off with no issues (other than my shorts and jersey getting brown polka-dots!).
    Ditto here on the Resolutions for dry conditions. For dry conditions ( desert dweller here) they are outstanding- can't comment on the wet.

Another vote to stay away from the EXi. I have one on the front end of one of my rides, and it is squirrley and funky- not a fan. It feels like it deforms under load.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think the Rampage 29x2.35s are the way to go. My only concern is the max tire on the Juice rear end is 2.35 s I wonder how much clearance there will be. Only one one to find out I guess. Thanks for all your insights.

AOF
    soft / 34/ married
    Another vote for Ramp's!
    For the record I also ride rooty rocky northeast singletrack.

I have tried and like the Rampages better than the following:
    WTB ExiWolf
    IRC Mythos
    Maxxis Ignitor

-Dan in NH
    Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by tbowren
    What! No Nevegal? That would be my choice.
    Agreed. Nevegals on both ends. Rampage a close second. No more Exiwolfs for me ever again since these tires hit the market.

East coast rocks and roots riding here.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

banned
    Resolution

Tattooed Scumbag
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Resolution
    Echo;;;; RESOLUTION....resolution...resolution
    If you don't live for something,
    You will die for NOTHING!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Another vote

for the Rampage (Nevegal is good too)... riding the rocky, rooty same'ish trails in eastern PA. Exi is so two years ago and the Specialized sidewalls didn't hold up long on the rocky trails around here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Rampages for durability

I've been using Rampages on our rock-infest trails in Maryland for several months now, and they are holding up really well. Excellent traction, although I'll be the odd one out and say that I find the rolling resistance is fairly signficant. However, I keep using it and sicne I'm not racing on it for now the most important factors are traction and durability. The only other 29er tire I have used is the Ignitor, which I also really liked. My only issue there was that the sidewalls started showing wear after about three months. Still perfectly usable at this point, but I'm holding onto them for a time when a racier tire is needed. I will say that I'm interested in trying the Resolutions but for now I have no reason to take the Rampages off of my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    Rampage all around/Geax Saguaros for speed
    What direction are you running the Saguros? Is there a noticeable difference if you've tried both ways?

Thanks