Recovering Weight Weenie

Quick Loop on an Intense Carbine 29 XL this AM.

After 4 rides on an XXL Santa Cruz Tallboy last week, I was eager to see what the Carbine would offer up against such a similar ride. Granted, the Intense is an XL vs the XXL but the reach is not too far off of the Tallboy.

What was similar:
    -Fit and finish. Top notch as well.
    -Monster on whatever is pointing downhills
    -Very capable feeling climber
    - The Pike up front. Still awesome, can I get an Amen?!
    -Both are beasts for attacking tech trails up and down but are still very peddle-able as an all day bike. Amazing machines.

What was different:
    -Taller BB on Carbine meant no pedal strikes (for me a plus, but still only a .25" difference)
    -TT shorter on Carbine and just felt smallish
    -Better manners on the steep ups, less "in the backseat" feeling, more over the BB. (perhaps my XC roots coming out)
    - Intense frame felt MUCH stiffer all around
    - The extra wheelbase on the Carbine allowed those top speeds to increase while maintaining stability. But, the sacrifice was a few blown uphill corners because so much wheelbase!

Highlights:
    - The Cane Creek shock on the Carbine blew my mind! Haven't felt such deluxe travel since a Romic coil.
    - Another massively fun 29er AM bike.

What kept going through my mind was that both of these bikes remind me of my Lenz Lunchbox and Behemoth. If only I had a Pike back then!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick Loop on an Intense Carbine 29 XL this AM.-img_0309.jpg  

mtbr member
    Carbines are under rated in my book. One bonus with the Carbine is if you drop the rear travel to 125mm and 130mm on the Pike you have something very, very similar to a Spider. Pretty versatile if you ask me.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    Carbines are under rated in my book. One bonus with the Carbine is if you drop the rear travel to 125mm and 130mm on the Pike you have something very, very similar to a Spider. Pretty versatile if you ask me.
    Whoa. Hadn't heard of this mod. Does it change the geometry at all? Sounds versatile indeed!

mtbr member
    It does change the geometry. I remember an employee from Intense posted in the Intense forum that the geometry is near identical to the Spider when the Carbine uses the low travel setting in the rear and 130mm up front.

Kind of like having two bikes in one for the cost of a $35 130mm Pike air piston.

I carbine I rode was in max travel setting and still felt pretty spry.
    Last edited by bigdrunk; 06-19-2015 at 10:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow you guys are blowing my mind. I just demoed this bike and thought it was awesome but it felt like a big bike. Now I can make it more am\xcish that is what I have been looking for. Thanks for the input....Keeeeeep it coming....Going to my LBS next week....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...Sold...SC Highball-SS-....Supersix-EVO1

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Wow you guys are blowing my mind. I just demoed this bike and thought it was awesome but it felt like a big bike. Now I can make it more am\xcish that is what I have been looking for. Thanks for the input....Keeeeeep it coming....Going to my LBS next week....
    To me, the Carbine didn't feel like much more travel than the LT while climbing. The wheelbase felt stretched though. For tight tech, not my choice, but tons of fun though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    To me, the Carbine didn't feel like much more travel than the LT while climbing. The wheelbase felt stretched though. For tight tech, not my choice, but tons of fun though!
    Padre- u know your post got me thinking. Way back years ago, in the day when FS 29ers were just pushing 100 mm, I think u had a 130 mm Lenz Behemoth. I'd really be interested in your perspective in how you would compare the 'moth to today's LT or carbine. Is it that much of a significant improvement? Or just a matter of carbon frames lower weight? Thanks

mtbr member
    I'll bite on this question, though not a Behemoth, its a pic of my first 29er FS from over 10 years ago (early 2005) that got me thinking.

I think its an issue of the bike being a sum of all the parts.

I would love to buy that frame back and:

1) Get rid of the freakishly narrow Easton Monkeylites and replace them with my 800mm Enve bars.
    2) Dump those scary lite,flimsy and skinny Velocity rims for my 35mm carbons (the front wheel in that pic was destroyed later, stupid SuperComps...)
    3) Trade out the RP3 (that rode like it was a RP1) with a Cane Creek DB Air or latest gen Fox.
    4) Replace the 1st Gen Reba (which was so much better than the wet noodle early Marzocchi) with a new SID RCT 15mm thru axel (pikes don't go down to 100mm).
    5) Wire bead ExiWolves are cool and all, so are NanoRaptors but 2.35 Maxis Icons would be sweet here.
    6) Nothing wrong with the Thompson seatpost, but a Reverb would be sweet on the Lenz
    7) Drive train - XX1, enough said.
    8) Cycle Computer? Hmm. I think I had a flip phone back then. We can lose that.
    9) Tubes - I don't think they made tubeless tape narrow enough to convert those Velocity rims. Lose the tubes
    10) Magura's Louise brakes were nice, but todays XTR's are so much better.

What am I getting at? I bet that "ancient" frame would not give up much at all to any of today's new carbon frames if it had all of the latest and greatest parts. Compared to what I ride today, there is a lot of things on the bike above I would just flat out hate if I had to ride it today. None of those things include the frame. Or the pedals, I am still using those today (Times rule)

If I remember correctly that bike above weighed 26lbs (frame was 5.5lbs, same as carbon frames today). I would not be surprised if I could get it down to 24lbs with carbon wheels, XX1 and 2.2" Icons.

mtbr member
    definitely cutting edge in the day. remember the picture of padre's 'moth with the dog? the lev is a beaut, but i went with the sultan in 2007 'cause the 'lev at the time was 3" - still ride it a lot - on my 3rd fork from the original flimsy reba fork, today a 120 fox w 15mm thru, flexy salsa rims to stans flows tubeless already 6 years ago, 630 bars to 720mm. 9 speed and triple up front never gave me trouble and really too much $$ to convert drivetrain over to 1x. interested in the 'moth or comparable for a bit more aggressive trail bike. looking seriously at the remedy 9.8 and the 'new star' the following, but for us tall guys always difficult to find good feedback. can't believe i'm riding already 8 years. in another 8 we'll all be singing kumbaya at the campfire. thanx for the blast from the past!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    Whoa. Hadn't heard of this mod. Does it change the geometry at all? Sounds versatile indeed!
    Do you still have your Lunchbox? I ran mine with a 36 Talas on the front. Allows you to run it at 160mm Front/ 152mm Rear and 130mm Front/ 127mm Rear by switching the rocker. Makes it a versatile bike.
    15 Canfield Riot on order
    ?? Carver 420 TI
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've got the same Carbine 29 XL Pro build. I had the shop change the post to a 150mm drop Reverb and the cranks to 180mm X9 with a Wolf Tooth direct mount 30T ring before I rode it. I've since built my own wheels with BHS hubs and LB 38mm carbon rims to replace the Flows, very nice upgrade. The bike is incredible on my favorite trails with some jumps and drops, but might be a little faster with reduced travel on the easier ones. I don't know that I'll ever bother switching, though. It's close to 29 lb, so no lightweight, but it's great for AM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by starre View Post
    Padre- u know your post got me thinking. Way back years ago, in the day when FS 29ers were just pushing 100 mm, I think u had a 130 mm Lenz Behemoth. I'd really be interested in your perspective in how you would compare the 'moth to today's LT or carbine. Is it that much of a significant improvement? Or just a matter of carbon frames lower weight? Thanks
    The Behemoth and Lunchbox I had both felt like bottomless travel, similar to this Carbine in the fast chunk. It's very hard to compare the forks though. The Pike is such a huge improvement in plushness and stiction free riding. A Lenz with a Pike would be a dream to try out. The only hang up for me would be the cable routing on the Lenz. Once you've seen/ridden a bike with super clean routing, it's hard (for me) to go back. Yes...I know I'm a princess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    David: what's your choice of tires and what's the clearance like with the 38mm rims? Been considering getting either a pair of LB 38/31.6 or 35/30. Not sure about clearance and about possibly getting too square 2.35 HRIIs on a 31.6 ID.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    There seems to be sufficient, but not tons of, clearance with the two tires I've tried. I initially set up the HRIIs that came on the bike on both ends, but I wanted a faster rear tire for a 50-mile race so I mounted up a Bontrager XR3 Team Issue 2.3. The XR3 has a rounder profile than the HRII and probably about 1/4" of clearance at the chanstays. I seldom ride in mud, but I don't think it would be a problem. I thought LB was coming out with a new rim with assymetrical drilling and I would have been tempted to try that, but for what's available now I'd stick with the 38mm outside rims. The beads are wider and they should take more hits. I weigh about 185 and don't ride real rocky terrain, but they've been great so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Carbine 29 set up

I found this post looking for information on setting up my Carbine 29 with a 130-140mm Pike with 125mm rear travel mode. My current setup is 140 rear/160 front.

As far as tire clearance goes, I've got the LB 35/30mm rims (BTW - each rim came in at 410 grams; I asked LB to send me lighter rims). I originally ran HRII front and rear. They seemed to have adequate clearance for me. Though, I rarely ride in muddy conditions here in Colorado Springs. I've since switched over to Specialized Butcher front and Specialized Slaughter rear (both 2.3). I really like the this tire set-up. I have two sets of each - Grid Casing for downhill park and Control Casing for general trail riding. I think the Butcher is better on the wide rims due to the rounder profile as compared to the HRII. The Slaughter seems to have a square profile similar to the HRII, but it works great as a rear tire. Here's a photo of the rear clearance on the chainstays with the LB 35/30 and Slaughter 2.3.

I really like the Carbine 29. I have a Highball Carbon for XC racing and previously had a Tallboy Carbon. I sold the Tallboy because I rarely used it for XC riding. I wanted a better trail/enduro bike. I'm 6'2.5" with long legs and feel like the Large Carbine 29 is spot on for me for sizing with 60mm stem and 785mm bars. I had a professional bike fit a few years back and discovered that I need to run a set-back post to get proper angles over the pedal spindle. Given my set-back requirements, I think the relatively long chainstays on the Carbine 29 is ideal for me since my weight is biased towards the rear. Also, I run 180mm cranks, so the relatively high BB works well too.

This is the best bike I've ever owned for climbing up technical/rocky ascents and needless to say a blast going down. The wheelbase is long, but it feels totally manageable to me on tight switchbacks. It feels similar in length to my old Ventana El Rey, but way more capable. It currently weighs 27.7 pounds with the Control casing tires (almost a pound heavier with Grid Casing).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quick Loop on an Intense Carbine 29 XL this AM.-photo-1.jpg  

Quick Loop on an Intense Carbine 29 XL this AM.-photo-2.jpg