mtbr member

Question about the Vassago Odis fork and build quality

I just picked up a used Vassago Odis fork. I was looking for something a little more compliant than my Surly Monkey fork. It was a toss up between the Odis and the Salsa Cromoto. Anyways, a used Odis showed up on my local forums for $25. A super deal IMO and if I don't like it, I haven't lost a lot of money. Initially the fork looked great (minus the rattlecan paint). After I started aligning the handlebar, I noticed something odd. With the wheel mounted and in-line with the frame, the crown is twisted. If the crown is lined up and perpendicular to the frame, the wheel is off center. Staring down the legs of the fork, it appears the "twist" is off by about a 1/4 of an inch. Is this normal for Odis forks? Is it possible the fork has been damaged? Do I have any options to fix this?

BTW, even with the twist in the fork, the Odis is far superior to the Monkey's fork. I have always heard that the Surly fork was harsh and unforgiving. I chalked this up to "it's rigid, what do you expect?" I put in a 5 mile ride this morning and was really shocked. The Odis has more control and softens the terrain. For the first time, the rear of the bike felt harsh, while the front was compliant and smooth. The only drawback with the Odis is that I experienced brake shudder for the first time and it made me quite nervous in a high speed section.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sounds like a crash in it's previous life to me...

mtbr member
    You should get your $25 back. I loved my ODIS when I had one, but it sounds like your was crashed pretty bad.

mtbr member
    I heard from the owner. The fork was brand new from Vassago with only 6 rides on it. I really like the fork so I contacted a local frame builder about cold setting it to correct the twist. I need a cable guide added to the left leg as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1 View Post
    I heard from the owner. The fork was brand new from Vassago with only 6 rides on it. I really like the fork so I contacted a local frame builder about cold setting it to correct the twist. I need a cable guide added to the left leg as well.
    It's been 8 - 9 months since anyone I know of has had a new ODIS available for sale.

jct
    mtbr member
    the new batch should be coming.

that said, i couldn't wait for one so i grabbed a salsa cro moto grande. great fork! very cush and compliant and no brake shudder. i'm 220# fully geared. i picked one for $80 on a price match from Universal.

mtbr member
    JCT, PM sent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    It's been 8 - 9 months since anyone I know of has had a new ODIS available for sale.
    I bought a new take off ODIS last month.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I really doubt there's an issue as long as your front tracks straight. If it was welded up a bit off, but tracks straight, trying to "straighten" it may mess the whole works up. I'd ride it. Steerer tube in the jig, dropouts in the jig, if those are straight in relation to each-other, thats what counts right?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yeah, the KM is a rough rider for sure. I went from it to a 26" rigid fork and couldn't believe how much smoother the 26" fork was.

I have a Salsa Cromoto en route to replace my WB Rock Solid. Wish I had the Odis cause it looks a little prettier, especially for 25. I guess if you are having it cold set someone will be able to check it for damage. A new fork is a cheap price for keeping your face in alignment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Yeah, the KM is a rough rider for sure. I went from it to a 26" rigid fork and couldn't believe how much smoother the 26" fork was.

I have a Salsa Cromoto en route to replace my WB Rock Solid. Wish I had the Odis cause it looks a little prettier, especially for 25. I guess if you are having it cold set someone will be able to check it for damage. A new fork is a cheap price for keeping your face in alignment.
    I agree, I should have gone new. If I received something like this from Vassago, I would have complained and gotten my money back.

The frame builder will not cold set the fork. He says that since he didn't build it, he wouldn't feel comfortable putting lots of pressure on it required for cold setting. This could either damage the fork or screw up the geometry. I don't blame him and in the end, it might not be worth it. He did say that he could add a cable guide to the fork without a problem. If I could score a NEW Cromoto or Odis for cheap, I would rather do that than deal with this fork. The Cromoto worries be a bit since I hear of brake shudder happening much more often on that fork.

An interesting bit of information to add. The harshness of Surly fork limited my speed on descents. A 160mm front rotor was all I needed to stop since I never went all that fast. With one ride on the Odis, I was traveling much faster through the rooty rough stuff and easily overpowered the 160mm. It looks like I will be upgrading the front to at least a 180mm (185mm) rotor. I have a 203mm dinner plate on the front of my FS 26'er and it made a huge difference in stopping power and control.

I am going to try and capture a picture of the fork twist tonight and add it to this thread.