mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Question about Orbea alma h50 2013

Hey everyone,

I was in my LBS and was mostly looking at the Orbea Alma h50, 1,399 on sale for 1,300. This is my first trail bike I will be getting for XC and just wanted some general review about it or if anyone can point out its strengths and weaknesses. Things I should update or what not. And I would also like some general information about Orbea as a company in general. Here's a link to the bike Alma 29 H50 ? Orbea

Thanks a lot, y'all!

Big Damn Hero
    I have the carbon version of the Alma and it's a great bike. I really like mine and how flickable it is in the corners. The short wheelbase, short chainstays and low bottom bracket make it a great handling bike. I'm 6'3 and ride the large and it's a perfect fit.

The only real downside that I experienced with the bike was the low bottom bracket. While the low bottom bracket is great for cornering, it can also catch you out. I've had numerous pedal strikes at speed which resulted in some pretty heavy crashes. Also, there is less ground clearance for big rocks.

Out here in east TX the pedals will catch root and send you flying, in central TX the cranks hit rocks all the time. Mine are scored up pretty good.

Overall, I love the bike and would recommend it... just be cognizant of the pedals!

I recently bought a Cannondale Scalpel carbon 1 so the Alma is going to be converted into a monstercross style bike in the coming months.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Decent bike. For a few hundred more you should also take a look at the Specialized Carve Comp which is also a really nice XC hard tail, slightly better components and really good 29er geometry.