Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Question about making the switch to a 29er

I currently have a trek fuel ex-8, looking at a Trek superfly elite 100 gary fisher collection carbon 29er. I have read all the advantages of the 29er however it seems a bit harder to pedal uphill. But this bike was build for xc and it weighs 7lbs less than the fuel. Should it be about the same then? Thanks!

Climbs = necessary evil

Re: Question about making the switch to a 29er

I don't know these specific bikes but I made the switch last fall from a SC Nomad to a RIP9. The Nomad had a 3x10 gear set and the RIP9 has the 2x10, which was harder to pedal at first but within a few weeks I had adapted.

Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    we are 29ers. you must adapt. resistance is futile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BMSrider View Post
    it seems a bit harder to pedal uphill.
    It most likely is harder due to higher gearing.

mtbr member
    I doubt being a 29er has anything to do with it being harder to pedal up hills. Like others said, I think it's just gearing. Although if the front and rear are the same number of teeth as you're used to and you're saying it's harder, then it IS because it's a 29er - you effectively have more gear inches because of the larger wheel.

MTB B'dos
    I'd honestly like to know the weak little fvck who started this myth how many ever eons ago Yes 29ers are harder to accelerate up hills, that why when I made the switch from a 26er to 29er (26er having Nevegals, 29er coming with Nanos) after only a few months I upgraded my rings from the "standard 22/32/44 to 24/34//46 because I could climb the same hills in harder gears on lesser tyre When will this BS ever die
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

roll on 29er

I went from a 26er trance 2011 to a 29er Camber 2012.

I used to be left behind on the uphills and now they eat my dust.

But its not one thing, its a whole bunch of things. Noting that whole bunch of things all add up to suit my particular circumstances.

But to pick one relevant BIG plus:

I can cadence the 29er uphill. Its like I have a big flywheel on board. Once up to speed (yes it probably is a fraction slower to accelerate) then it just rolls right on (because it is much more reluctant to decellerate over the usual rocks and gutter obstacles along the way).

As a result of this (plus those other things), I went from slowpoke to FAST

(In case you are wondering, I am quicker downhill too - knocking 10% off my strava times - all because it pedals so much better)

AZ
    banned
    There ya go, 10% better and 29ers cure the herpe too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    There ya go, 10% better and 29ers cure the herpe too.
    speak for yourself

mtbr member
    With equivalent gears, a 29er will be a bit harder to climb and accelerate due to the larger wheel circumference. You move a little further with each crank rotation, so you're actually doing more work. Roughly speaking, you seem to "lose" a gear on a 29er. This can be overcome by using a 12-36T cassette or replacing your 22T ring with a 20T. The cassette option is easiest, the 20T ring takes some fiddling. For really "weak" climbers, like me, who love low gearing, you can combine both options and get a great granny. Plus, it really pisses off lyNx, but don't do it just for that alone.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for all the replies ! I picked up the 29er bike looks and rides brand new, 2011 Trek elite 100 Gary fisher collection carbon 29er.... Time to go ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I got the 2013 Trek Superfly Elite (non 100) a few weeks ago, and love it. Head to toe. So as a hardtail i cant speak to your 100. I have not gotten into any excessively steep climbing but I haven't noticed a big change on the hills I've been on vs my 26. What I have noticed is: a/ the Superfly Elite is an amazing bike. And b/ that this 29er flies when you open it up. Get one and don't look back.

King of Middle Earth
    I've been a 29er rider for a bit over a year now. What I can say that is different in a negative way is:

1) a little bit harder to get started from a stop
    2) wider turning radius
    3) wanders comparatively
    4) eats brake pads faster

But all of those things are overcome/accepted/adapted to rather quickly and the pros of being a 29er rider far out weight the cons.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ok here it is, I have a water tower hill by my house on my 26 it pretty much takes everything I've got to get up it, most friends have to walk it, the new 29er went right up no problem even after a 10 hour day in 90deg weather I'm stoked!!!!!

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
    we are 29ers. you must adapt. resistance is futile.
    ^ this.

King of Middle Earth
    Ok here it is, I have a water tower hill by my house on my 26 it pretty much takes everything I've got to get up it, most friends have to walk it, the new 29er went right up no problem even after a 10 hour day in 90deg weather I'm stoked!!!!!
    Glad to hear that! The weight reduction is a huge factor where climbing is concerned. Enjoy!!!

Pics of the new bike please.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It's that new purchase adrenaline! Congrats!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    With equivalent gears, a 29er will be a bit harder to climb and accelerate due to the larger wheel circumference. You move a little further with each crank rotation, so you're actually doing more work. Roughly speaking, you seem to "lose" a gear on a 29er. This can be overcome by using a 12-36T cassette or replacing your 22T ring with a 20T. The cassette option is easiest, the 20T ring takes some fiddling. For really "weak" climbers, like me, who love low gearing, you can combine both options and get a great granny. Plus, it really pisses off lyNx, but don't do it just for that alone.
    I know what you're implying, but what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

With the same gears, a 29er will have more gear inches than a 26" bike. With equivalent gearing, they would be the same.

King of Middle Earth
    Here we go again... Faster your seat belts and place your serving trays in their upright positions...
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    I know what you're implying, but what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

With the same gears, a 29er will have more gear inches than a 26" bike. With equivalent gearing, they would be the same.
    Good point, my word choice was poor. By "equivalent gears", I meant "the same gears".
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That's what downshifting is for.

MTB B'dos
    As I said, better traction, climbs easier/better and I'm betting you find you climb in the "same" gear i.e 2-3 as you did on your 26er, only difference is you actually make the climb now instead of having to bail and most likely in short time you'll be riding a harder gear, hence my argument that it's a none issue.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

neeeds donation$ for bike
    you will have good grip.....yup. I always spun out with my 26er full sus leaving me un clipping. My 29er hardtails and rigids alway seem to leave me grip due to me now having the perfect amount of leverage to the back wheel. The 26er.,, i would pick my perfect so called gear and then the back wheel would just break loose leaving me in hike a bike mode. The 29er seemed to resolve that problem. Just and fyi for you and good luck.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Here we go again... Faster your seat belts and place your serving trays in their upright positions...
    well said... it's going down that road again
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'd honestly like to know the weak little fvck who started this myth how many ever eons ago
    Why so bitter. I resemble that remark.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast