Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Pulled the trigger Windsor Cliff 29 PRO!

So after weeks of searching, reading, craigslist searches, and checking out my local LBS's I finally placed my order for a Windsor Cliff 29 PRO from eBay member chicabike!

I started out wanting a 26, not even knowing about 29ers. Thanks to this forum though I realized given my height 5' 11"- 6' and desired riding, a 29er would be the more suitable choice. Then came the component education, trips the the LBS's, and finally the weighing of options...

The Windsor PRO 29 just seemed to have the best "Bang for the Buck". Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic brakes, RockShox Tora w/lockout (big factor), Clipless pedals, etc! My searches said it was basically a Fuji Tahoe copy which was well regarded. The silver and name Windsor aren't my favorite but I couldn't ignore the components and quality.

On eBay the discounted price of $698.99 shipped for the 09's was only made better by the INSTANT Bing cashback of $52.80 and $13.20 Ebay Bucks, making it $632.99!! The Bing instant cashback made a BIG difference (no waiting 60 days) and the 13.20 I will have Saturday for some gear goodies.

I'm hoping to get the bike by this weekend. It's coming from Austin to Boston. The weather should be nice and I'll add some photos and a review. I'm not a spammer or anything, I just spent the past month searching all around and hopefully my findings and choice may help some others!

Now comes: helmet choice, bike bag, trail tools & tubes, pump, clipless shoes, etc.

Zack

Last edited by Zackb911; 04-19-2010 at 09:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Tracking number was received in about 15 minutes from my order! Looks like it will be here Friday!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I bought one from Bikesdirect for my girl friend.
    They are a very good deal.
    Just spend some time lubing it and make sure everything is tight.

mtbr member
    I had good luck with my buy from them on a Fantom 29er. The bike so far has been awesome.

In FTF We Trust
    Great bang for the buck, enjoy it!
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

no fat chicks
    i would say that a set of 8" riser bars along with a 3" steerer extender would be an awesome front end set up on that bike
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    i would say that a set of 8" riser bars along with a 3" steerer extender would be an awesome front end set up on that bike
    Enjoy your bike and ignore the chode, it is a good deal. Just go over the bike really well and double check bearing adjustments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey awesome choice I'm thinking about doing the exact same thing. I am familar with Bing cash back but what is ebay bucks?

Also how tow are you and what size did you get? I am 6'1" and I'm debating hte medium or the large.

Thanks,
    matt

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ebay bucks is just money that will be redeemable on future eBay purchases and is paid out quarterly I believe.

The medium is a 19" frame, I'm 5' 11" with a 32" inseam and the Medium just touches my sack. I'd say at 6' 1" go medium, that's my guess. My 20" Rocky Mountain 26er gives me a solid 2" of clearance. The Pro was a lot bigger than I expected. It's getting all swapped over to an 18" Soul Cycles Dillinger frame though and I'll be selling the Windsor frame anyway.

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zackb911
    Now comes: helmet choice, bike bag, trail tools & tubes, pump, clipless shoes, etc.
    Get the Fox flux helmet. Its light, comfortable to wear (helmet straps aren't on your face), has lots vents keeping your noggin' cooler and most importantly better back of the head protection.

Instead of buying bags get a Camelbak. You'll be able to carry more stuff and have a hydration system that you can drink while on the go.

If you still want to roll with tubes, go with Slime tubes.

Enjoy your new ride.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Zackb911
    Ebay bucks is just money that will be redeemable on future eBay purchases and is paid out quarterly I believe.

The medium is a 19" frame, I'm 5' 11" with a 32" inseam and the Medium just touches my sack. I'd say at 6' 1" go medium, that's my guess. My 20" Rocky Mountain 26er gives me a solid 2" of clearance. The Pro was a lot bigger than I expected. It's getting all swapped over to an 18" Soul Cycles Dillinger frame though and I'll be selling the Windsor frame anyway.
    The Windsor frames are a bit tall but ETT is a much more important way of measuring a frame than seat tube or stand over (the KM which is one of the most popular 29er frames and has been around for 8 years now has notoriously tight stand over). 29er designers are getting better about lowering the top tube but I'd rather have a frame with the right ETT and a tight stand over than a frame with good stand over but is a cramped cockpit.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Check out the Uvex XP 100 helmet. I have been thru four helmets, including a Fox Flux, before I stumbled upon Uvex. AWESOME helmets! Made in Germany so you know they're good Might be expensive for some, $80-$100 range, but well worth the price because of the adjustability. Fits better than my riding gloves...

mtbr member
    Quick question about the brakes. Did you need to bleed the Juicy 5's or did they come pre-bled?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    Check out the Uvex XP 100 helmet. I have been thru four helmets, including a Fox Flux, before I stumbled upon Uvex. AWESOME helmets! Made in Germany so you know they're good Might be expensive for some, $80-$100 range, but well worth the price because of the adjustability. Fits better than my riding gloves...

Hey - wasn't Nazism made in germany? Not sure that was good...oh and they like david hasslehof

LOL - nice bike - I am still waiting on the FS 29er
    come on bd...
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How did you like the pedals it came with. I have never been a fan of clipless pedals. mainly because I have size 15 feet and its hard to find shoes I want. I am thinking I will replace them anyone have any suggestions. Perferably something cheap since I just spent all my money on the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My coworker is look at that same bike, I would be interested to get your opinion after riding it a little.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm curious which model year Tora it comes with. Its pictured with the old one (2008 and earlier?), but the emphasize that its the NEW one. I emailed the eBay seller, and all they said was something like "IT IS THE NEW ONE, sorry if the picture might not be updated or not". Let us know when you get it which it is!

mtbr member
    I just put mine together last night. Here's a link to my web album, which I haven't had time to go through. There are a few pictures of the shock, and it looks like it is the "Tora 318 Race". It is the same shock pictured in the BD stock photo.

It has "Motion Control" lockout, rebound, and of course is the air sprung version.

http://picasaweb.google.com/benuntu/...rCliff29erPro#

mtbr member
    So what is the difference between the tora they have in the pics and this "new" version?
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sweet looking bike! I also see eyeletted wheels..important for added strength.

BTW, you married guys always need to remember to convince your wife that a new bike is insurance that you will remain healthy...that and begging might work..lol.
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldassracer
    So what is the difference between the tora they have in the pics and this "new" version?
    I don't think there is much difference except for the MotionControl lockout feature. The fork is basically the 2009 version of this one: http://www.sram.com/node/79/brand/rockshox/src/fam

The 2010 version has TurnKey lockout, and this one has MotionControl which I've heard is superior anyways. The proper name for the fork is Tora Race 318 RS. It is NOT new, but the 2009 model so BD should change their product page. But I'm happy with it, and it seems like a very responsive and plush fork. I'll be posting a longer review of my own about the assembly and first couple ride experiences tonight. I've taken some more pics with a water bottle cage and pump...time for a 2+ hour ride in Bidwell Park!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Placed my order yesterday at my LBS which actually happens to be Bikes Direct here in Jacksonville. Though I ordered the "Comp" just cause I have a baby on the way and can't afford any more. Im new to mountain bikes and got sucked in by some of my friends. Your bike looks amazing!!! good luck and have fun!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yea I will definitly fill ya in on that one. The bike shipped right after I paid, it will be here friday. I will fill ya in with all my experiences.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Windsor Cliff

I wanted to try a 29 but didnt want to spend a ton of money beings that I have other expensive bikes. I started in November and saved change untill Feb and used that to buy the Cliff Comp. I,ve now logged about 500 miles on the bike and can honestly say I love it. Even with the Dart 3 fork it rides good. rear end a little sharp on hits but hey I'm 6'4 235lbs. Put the first scratch in the paint today screwing around in a rock garden. My bad. This bike is well worth the 500. I spent and now can only wonder what im missing from not owning a GF Rumblefish........ Might be selling my collection to get that one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomatt77
    How did you like the pedals it came with. I have never been a fan of clipless pedals. mainly because I have size 15 feet and its hard to find shoes I want. I am thinking I will replace them anyone have any suggestions. Perferably something cheap since I just spent all my money on the bike.
    I have the Pro with the Xpedo MF-3 pedals. They are nice, positive clip in and are easy to get out of in a hurry. I also wear a 15, so I hear you on finding some larger shoes. I ordered mine directly from Lake MX165 for $100. Might be something less expensive out there, but Lake makes good shoes. After riding clipless for the past year I wouldn't go back. You feel so much more secured to the bike which helps on climbs and bumpy downhill sections.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast