Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Problem with my rear wheel rubbing on the front derailleur

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  bryceman01 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2008 Gary Fisher X-Cal, recently upgraded all the components, and now I'm having problems with my front derailleur. I have a x9 front derailleur, It's a bottom clamp top pull, it should fit, yet my rear wheel rubs against it. Any suggestions? Should I get a high clamp and just use spacers for my water bottle cage, would that help?

**11/18 update, PROBLEM SOLVED HOORAY went with a shimano deore XT and I guess it fits, hopefully if anyone else with a gary fisher xcal has the same problem they'll find this thread to avoid the annoyance I went through.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I just got Gary Fisher X-Caliber 2010 and I could not fit SLX front derailleur. I decided to stick to x.9 top clamp. My bike came with it. The problem is that GF/Trek decided to keep seat tube straight instead of bending it. My Scott Scale 29 does not have this problem.

This is what you need.

SRAM X-9 Front Derailleur High Clamp Top Pull | eBay

Attachments

#9 ·
High Clamp top pull should solve the problem for sure. The low clamp top pull derailleurs fit only a small percentage of the bike market...nearly all are full suspension. My girlfriend's (SM) Intense Spider XVP is one of them..and its a PITA to adjust...I originally tried to get a high clamp to work w/o success.

#11 ·
My Spot has the same sort of problem. I figure that's why the Longboards were sold as 1x9s. I was able to get a derailleur on it but it's still way too tight for my liking so I gave up and singlespeeded the thing.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.