Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRIME'd

MTB B'dos

PRIME'd

It's been a long wait, but I can most re-assuredly say that it was well worth the wait

Received it Thursday afternoon and had it all built up by evening and test rode it around the neighborhood, it felt very nice, very familiar to be honest, despite having a wheelbase 3"> greater than my Paradox. It came set in the "slack" setting and that's what IO first tooled around in, but then I decided I'd prefer the "steep" setting and have been ridng it like that since.

BB height is over 1.5" higher, chainstays measure 17.6",so longer than the Paradox and despite that and the much longer wheelbase it's as nimble as the Paradox, actually feels a bit more responsive to be honest and that's with the exact same 80mm stem and 750mm wide bars. Have thrown on a 60mm a friend had to just give that a go, but I think it's a bit short, but need to get a proper ride in to test it, thinking a 70mm will be perfect.

Put these pics and quick thoughts up so I'll have somewhere to come back and update and so you can see just how sweet the Prime really is. So you all know, I'm 6'2.25", 35.25" inseam and this is an XL frame. The thing has a $hit load of clearance, enough so that a friend who's only 5'8" had no issues straddling it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRIME'd-gil_2061_fb.jpg  

PRIME'd-gil_2059_fb.jpg  

PRIME'd-gil_2057_fb.jpg  

PRIME'd-gil_2055_fb.jpg  

PRIME'd-gil_2051_fb.jpg  

PRIME'd-gil_2064_fb.jpg  

Last edited by LyNx; 02-26-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

oh crap...
    Sweet!
    Grow some food for yourself.

Dropshot Champ!
    wow, that is one nice bike man.

congrats.

need a mud/jump pic riiiight now though! haha

the train keeps rollin
    did you weigh the frame?
    beaver hunt

JB
    Frame size?

Carbon & Ti rule
    I did think it must be along soon, I hope you have fun on it & ride it hard.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    Frame size?
    He's our height. The OP's Prime is XL.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Would be interested to hear how much it weighs. I often wish I needed that much bike just so I could get one. It's a beautiful machine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Too much green and sunshine.

Now with Fox, XTR and Easton.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is the quick release rear drop out the only option, or can you get it with a thru-bolt?

Looks like a ton of fun and ready to rip.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice frame. Am I seeing a 2x9 with no FD? Any reason for that?

MTB B'dos
    Right now there are 2 options, 135 standard drop-outs and 150mm bolt on, think the production will have 3 options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster Nutbag View Post
    Is the quick release rear drop out the only option, or can you get it with a thru-bolt?
    Looks like a ton of fun and ready to rip.
    Yes, you're seeing right, 2x upfront, 6 outback, no FD because this frame takes the SRAM S3, low mount, bottom pull FD and there wasn't one in stock when I was ordering the additional parts I would need - I don't have XO/XX money, although I did find a deal on a n XO I'll prob get. Not a real PITA, just need to stop and throw the chain up or down, or grind/spin it out if you don't want to stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by prettybike View Post
    Nice frame. Am I seeing a 2x9 with no FD? Any reason for that?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

the air is thin up here..
    Heh, I'm not surprised you ended up with one of these

This is the nicest Banshee Frame I've seen by far! Very nice bike.
    Last edited by noot; 02-26-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    2016 Honzo Ti SS
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon commuter
    2 bikes, 2 gears.
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Would be interested to hear how much it weighs. I often wish I needed that much bike just so I could get one. It's a beautiful machine.
    Currently - in prototype form - the XL frame is 9lbs 10 oz with shock, I've heard the med's are a sliver over 9 lbs. For production they will run around 700g lighter.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    It's been a long wait, but I can most re-assuredly say that it was well worth the wait
    Looks sweet (and stout), LyNx!!

Why not put a Widgit on there for a nice 1 x drivetrain and be done with it? Probably close to being about the same cost as the special FD needed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah, x9 S3 DM FD is only over 50% cheaper over Widgit.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Why not put a Widgit on there for a nice 1 x drivetrain and be done with it? Probably close to being about the same cost as the special FD needed.
    It's not that special - it's just that the front derailleur market is super fragmented at the moment with all the various mounting options and the fact that the 10-speed FDs are matched to chainring size. SRAM has 37 different XO 10-speed front derailleurs and 24 in the X9 line. It must be a nightmare to try and maintain those product lines.

The FD that LyNx needs is about $78 in XO and $59 in X9. Much less than a Widgit.

EDIT- duh. Disregard. I've got 10-speed on my brain - LyNx is using 9-speed. It's probably still a pain to track down a specific S3 bottom-pull FD in 9-speed, too.
    Last edited by evasive; 02-27-2012 at 08:37 AM.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looking good Lincoln

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    It's not that special - it's just that the front derailleur market is super fragmented at the moment with all the various mounting options and the fact that the 10-speed FDs are matched to chainring size. SRAM has 37 different XO 10-speed front derailleurs and 24 in the X9 line. It must be a nightmare to try and maintain those product lines.

The FD that LyNx needs is about $78 in XO and $59 in X9. Much less than a Widgit.

EDIT- duh. Disregard. I've got 10-speed on my brain - LyNx is using 9-speed. It's probably still a pain to track down a specific S3 bottom-pull FD in 9-speed, too.
    10 speed will work just fine, it does on mine and i have 2x9.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For production there will be increased front derailleur clearance and compatibility with more options... working on it now infact!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Looks sick. Congrats!

MTB B'dos
    Yeah Bruce, not sure exactly if you've tried an abbreviated cassette or not, but with the smallest cog being a 16t going 1X isn't very feasible, so I'll be sticking to a 2X setup. Just swapped out the 38t for a 36T I recently got as I don't have the FD and instead of stopping and changing rings manually I'm trying to pedal the big 38t and I can feel it after the weekend, so the 2t drop should help with that a little.

FYI if anyone's interested, weighed it today and got 33lbs 5oz as is.

Also, when a manufacturer tells me there's clearance for a 2.5" tyre, the pics below are what I'm expecting. Way to go Banshee on delivering enough clearance to run a 2.4" tyre like the Ardent and still ride it in the mud and muck without it packing everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Looks sweet (and stout), LyNx!!

Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    10 speed will work just fine, it does on mine and i have 2x9.
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    For production there will be increased front derailleur clearance and compatibility with more options... working on it now infact!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRIME'd-p1060826.jpg  

PRIME'd-p1060821.jpg  

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's the best looking FS 29er I have seen.

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, I was in-line for one since I found out they were going to be made, been a long 1.5+ years, but oh so worth it Have to agree with you on the looks, not sure exactly why, as Banshee have some nice frames, but the Prime just looks so, so right.
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    Heh, I'm not surprised you ended up with one of these

This is the nicest Banshee Frame I've seen by far! Very nice bike.
    Hey Dude, missed your comment. It sure looks good, but even better it rides as good as it looks Wishing I could take a trip up there and give it a good test on some of those sweet trails.

Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Looking good Lincoln
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    How you finding the Fox?

MTB B'dos

Liking it alot

If you mean the F34 fork, then yeah, definitely liking it. Never had a Fox before and it was pretty simple to setup and works fine right off the bat.

I thought I'd miss not having the ability to tune the damper like on an RS fork to help set it depending on what/where I was riding, but TBH, I ride with the fork in the open position most of the time and only lock it out if I'm going to do an out the saddle effort on the road, other than that with the low speed compression dialed in the fork rides high and doesn't dive.

The tapered steerer I think is the thing I like the most, as I can see no for/aft flex compared to the 120mm Minute I have on the Paradox. The 15mm QR system works easy, with the slotted drop outs , real easy to put the wheel in, but still don't understand the step backwards to it from 20mm

Now if we're talking the DHX shock, then maybe not so impressed or at least haven't gotten it tuned to my liking yet. I've never had a shock with so many settings, so bit confusing and taking some experimentation. Had it dialed so it climb nice and on the flats, but didn't feel right on the really slow, rough/chunky descent I did yesterday (felt fine on smoother faster ones), so trying some different settings now with the boost valve to see if I can solve that. Have an old FloatR before PP was available to throw on and a RP23 with PP, but that is blown to also try and see how it pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbem View Post
    How you finding the Fox?
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Sorry I did mean the 34. Pretty well agree with you on the results myself. I find myself having to unweigh the front end to back the travel up to 140 after 110mm and needs to be timed - Fox recommends doing this off the bike which is bloody stupid. The slotted drops are great. Compared to my old straight stem Reba 120 this thing has vastly improved my enjoyment which is what its all about. If the seals and internals last I will be a happy bunny.

Cars Are Evil
    Looking good

MTB B'dos
    Hehehe Please don't get confused, I don't own a Talas, that's a straight 140mm RL, Banshee did right by us and organised for our lowers to be black instead of the white the normal RL is
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbem View Post
    Sorry I did mean the 34. Pretty well agree with you on the results myself. I find myself having to unweigh the front end to back the travel up to 140 after 110mm and needs to be timed - Fox recommends doing this off the bike which is bloody stupid. The slotted drops are great. Compared to my old straight stem Reba 120 this thing has vastly improved my enjoyment which is what its all about. If the seals and internals last I will be a happy bunny.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ive done 2 days of really rocky and techy stuff down the teide volcano in tenerife and it works REALLY well, i get no scary dive on stepdowns/drops. I have bigger problem of not getting full travel from DHX with proper sag, ineed higher volume can. The local guy said with the lines i chose he thought i would go over the bars for sure but just cleaned it all without handstands and it was very fast in the 20 minute ride down the rockgarden. Im stoked!

FM
    mtbr member
    Right on Sakucee!

It's been cool trying a bunch of shocks on my prime. The PUSH'd rp23 with XV can and light compression is definitely a winner. Based on that, I would think adding an XV can and minimal BV pressure would help with the DHX-airs.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Right on Sakucee!

It's been cool trying a bunch of shocks on my prime. The PUSH'd rp23 with XV can and light compression is definitely a winner. Based on that, I would think adding an XV can and minimal BV pressure would help with the DHX-airs.

Guys, please post up your riding weights before making comments like these on volume cans. What works for someone on a medium at 160 pounds may not work for the 240 lb Clyde riding an XL. Thanks in advance, every one of us may have different needs. Also, please make note if it is a Fox XV-1 or XV-2 can that works for you.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Yeah Bruce, not sure exactly if you've tried an abbreviated cassette or not, but with the smallest cog being a 16t going 1X isn't very feasible, so I'll be sticking to a 2X setup. Just swapped out the 38t for a 36T I recently got as I don't have the FD and instead of stopping and changing rings manually I'm trying to pedal the big 38t and I can feel it after the weekend, so the 2t drop should help with that a little.

FYI if anyone's interested, weighed it today and got 33lbs 5oz as is.

Also, when a manufacturer tells me there's clearance for a 2.5" tyre, the pics below are what I'm expecting. Way to go Banshee on delivering enough clearance to run a 2.4" tyre like the Ardent and still ride it in the mud and muck without it packing everything up.
    Awesome clearance down there... what is the axle to axle length of your XL? Me likey!

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Banshee!!! Reminds me of X Men for some reason...

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Guys, please post up your riding weights before making comments like these on volume cans. What works for someone on a medium at 160 pounds may not work for the 240 lb Clyde riding an XL. Thanks in advance, every one of us may have different needs. Also, please make note if it is a Fox XV-1 or XV-2 can that works for you.
    Oh jeez. It's a bvx1-y can and I weigh 756 newtons!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    70kg max weight, med frame. Dropped aircan down to 120psi added bv so i get more midrange, was a bit wallowy on grannygear, felt ok, maybe good on descents, got fork dialled for the rockgardens down here niw, need to count clicks tomorrow so i know what works in terrain like this, and the wagon wheel down here is friggin awesome, getting way less arm pump than i did on my 160mm fox on 26er.

MTB B'dos
    Well I've messed with the DHX and changed how I set it up big time, had had the Bottom out turned all the way in nearly and 125 PSI in the boost valve, now I've got the BO all the way out and still running 125 PSI on the BV (yes I did check it after backing the BO knob out and added air back to 125 PSI). Feels pretty good now, nice noticeable difference between flipping the PP lever on and off - off for rougher/chunky trails, on for XC/smooth trails and roads. Did about 25 miles commuting yesterday cause the Prime is the only bike I have fully built and while it did it, it was not a good idea running those big meaty tyres with the 20-30mph winds we've been having .

Going to head out tomorrow AM and session a particularly steep and rocky descent to dial it in fully. Once I've got the DHX dialed to my liking I'll be taking it off and installing either the FloatR or RP23 to test it with them. F34 was dialed almost off the bat, pretty damn simple and as Sakucee said, works really well, doesn't dive, felt really confident on the super stee. rocky descent.

Video of descent I'll be testing on below, un-edited, taken using the post clamp with a GoPro hero on my Banshee Paradox.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Carbon & Ti rule
    Well I've messed with the DHX and changed how I set it up big time, had had the Bottom out turned all the way in nearly and 125 PSI in the boost valve, now I've got the BO all the way out and still running 125 PSI on the BV (yes I did check it after backing the BO knob out and added air back to 125 PSI). Feels pretty good now, nice noticeable difference between flipping the PP lever on and off - off for rougher/chunky trails, on for XC/smooth trails and roads. Did about 25 miles commuting yesterday cause the Prime is the only bike I have fully built and while it did it, it was not a good idea running those big meaty tyres with the 20-30mph winds we've been having .

Going to head out tomorrow AM and session a particularly steep and rocky descent to dial it in fully. Once I've got the DHX dialed to my liking I'll be taking it off and installing either the FloatR or RP23 to test it with them. F34 was dialed almost off the bat, pretty damn simple and as Sakucee said, works really well, doesn't dive, felt really confident on the super stee. rocky descent.

Video of descent I'll be testing on below, un-edited, taken using the post clamp with a GoPro hero on my Banshee Paradox.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    I hope you have ruffer trails than hat to take that bike down

Glad to see you are liking your bike, but next Video pedal damnit
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, m y F34 has been awesome, using about 120-125mm of the travel, haven't hit any jumps/drops yet, so figure that's about right - SAG is about 33mm. Same issue on the DHX, only using just over 2/3 of the stroke with about 13mm SAG and BO turned all the way out, but the bike feels right set this way, will try it a bit lower and see what happens and how it effects the pedaling efficiency - right now super efficient, don't notice any pedal bob, climbs like a rocket.. Didn't get to take it down my test descent yesterday and do some fiddling, maybe sometime this week.

Weirdest thing I'm still getting accustomed to is the height of this beast While the standover is better than my Paradox, at my saddle height for optimal pedaling I cannot touch the ground, definitely am thinking a dropper post might be in my future for this beast. Loving it though, but it could make you lazy it's so plush so you don't need to stand much to go over anything, Paradox kept you on your toes with it's stiff ride. Really need to get a few action shots of me on it instead of these boring static ones, hoping this coming week.

ive done 2 days of really rocky and techy stuff down the teide volcano in tenerife and it works REALLY well, i get no scary dive on stepdowns/drops. I have bigger problem of not getting full travel from DHX with proper sag, ineed higher volume can. The local guy said with the lines i chose he thought i would go over the bars for sure but just cleaned it all without handstands and it was very fast in the 20 minute ride down the rockgarden. Im stoked!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRIME'd-p1060880_b.jpg  

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Awesome bike! I'm sure you'll love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/38528605?color=ff9933" width="1024" height="768" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

This was one of the smoother trails down there... forgot to my camera to hotel when we were doing downhill and the 20-30min rock gardens.
    Last edited by sakucee; 03-15-2012 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    This was one of the smoother trails down there... forgot to my camera to hotel when we were doing downhill and the 20-30min rock gardens.
    I had a vacation (with riding) on Tenerife some years ago, while I lived in Switzerland. Had to hire a bike though. I would have loved to have had my own. The riding there was great.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bolted HV can (not XV), i'm getting all the travel now even with 140psi on main can 100 on BV, BO 3 turns out.

Sweet.

MTB B'dos
    Just thought I'd throw up a bit of an update on the Prime for me since I've had some decent rides on it and can no judge it a bit better. The gist of it is, I'm selling it, makes everything to damn easy Kidding.

Truth is I was waiting to update until I'd had some time on my fav tech trail, but it had needed some serious clearing, well this weekend we did some clearing and riding on it, so am fully confident now in the Prime. I've had my Prime for 6 weeks + and have ridden it on all the different types of trails we have here and can, without a doubt, say for sure that it is the most fun, nicest handling (for me) bike, I've ridden to date.

This weekends foray onto this mainly slow, tight, rocky, technical trail really showed what the Prime can do and that despite having a 48"> wheelbase it handles just fine on the tight stuff, actually more than just fine, superbly. I cleared things with ease that gave me trouble before, absolutely cannot believe how the Prime rides over the Paradox, not even fair to compare to the flexy noodle I had before that, heck the 14"> log over, it felt like a small bump, nothing more, then immediately on the brakes to make the 90 right with a stall, no worries - blew my mind.

Only small negative I can say is about the weight, because we have a lot of flat and hilly trail/road linking the goods together and I can feel it on these when really pushing, but to be honest, 33lbs 10oz for an XT built 130mm, changeable dropout/travel adjustable, XL bike, that can take anything is very reasonable - just haven't pedaled a bike over 30lbs in a while and according to Keith Scott the engineer, he's already made changes and calculated they can drop about 1.5+lbs off the frame weight. I can still outclimb the guys on their carbon S-Works Epics and FSR SJs, but it takes a bit more work and I feel a bit more knackered after the ride, but it's all worth it when you hit the real trails and can just attack anything

Sorry, missed this one Randy, wheelbase in the steep setting is 48.25", but doesn't feel like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Awesome clearance down there... what is the axle to axle length of your XL? Me likey!
    Sadly no action pics yet on the Prime, just this one showing some of our nice coral rocks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PRIME'd-p1060947.jpg  

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

That looks like way too much fun.

Carbon & Ti rule
    That better not be a 160mm rotor on the front of that thing.

Just thought I'd throw up a bit of an update on the Prime for me since I've had some decent rides on it and can no judge it a bit better. The gist of it is, I'm selling it, makes everything to damn easy Kidding.

Truth is I was waiting to update until I'd had some time on my fav tech trail, but it had needed some serious clearing, well this weekend we did some clearing and riding on it, so am fully confident now in the Prime. I've had my Prime for 6 weeks + and have ridden it on all the different types of trails we have here and can, without a doubt, say for sure that it is the most fun, nicest handling (for me) bike, I've ridden to date.

This weekends foray onto this mainly slow, tight, rocky, technical trail really showed what the Prime can do and that despite having a 48"> wheelbase it handles just fine on the tight stuff, actually more than just fine, superbly. I cleared things with ease that gave me trouble before, absolutely cannot believe how the Prime rides over the Paradox, not even fair to compare to the flexy noodle I had before that, heck the 14"> log over, it felt like a small bump, nothing more, then immediately on the brakes to make the 90 right with a stall, no worries - blew my mind.

Only small negative I can say is about the weight, because we have a lot of flat and hilly trail/road linking the goods together and I can feel it on these when really pushing, but to be honest, 33lbs 10oz for an XT built 130mm, changeable dropout/travel adjustable, XL bike, that can take anything is very reasonable - just haven't pedaled a bike over 30lbs in a while and according to Keith Scott the engineer, he's already made changes and calculated they can drop about 1.5+lbs off the frame weight. I can still outclimb the guys on their carbon S-Works Epics and FSR SJs, but it takes a bit more work and I feel a bit more knackered after the ride, but it's all worth it when you hit the real trails and can just attack anything

Sorry, missed this one Randy, wheelbase in the steep setting is 48.25", but doesn't feel like it.

Sadly no action pics yet on the Prime, just this one showing some of our nice coral rocks.

MTB B'dos
    Sadly Muzz it is, no 180mm Hayes rotors around right now, only an Avid and it's warped to ****e. Braking with the 160s isn't as bad as I thought it would be since I've been running a 180 upfront for the past nearly 4 years. When things turn around for me I'll kit it out nice, but for now it may not have the blingiest build, but it flat out is a trail eating machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    That better not be a 160mm rotor on the front of that thing.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

What's that flap you're using?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    What's that flap you're using?
    Mucky Nutz

beater
    Work well for you? It looks pretty similar to a MarshGuard, which I was considering buying (since they're cheap). I haven't gotten around to making my own yet, like FM did.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast