mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Price check isle 3... '13 Hardrock/blue book

Hi all,

So once again, I'm looking to replace my late '90s Diamondback Wildwood. While I'd love to walk into my LBS and roll out with a '13 Carve, that's not really in the budget at the moment.

There's a Specialized Hardrock on my local CL that is in my size/price range. Add reads...

2013 Hardrock Sport Disc 29er-$575.00
    Black and red, Hard tail 29r, 21" frame, 24 spd. , very lightly used. Some step over scratches on top tube. Only been used on two MTB runs, otherwise, transportation to and from school for my son. Less than 7 months old, excellent condition, has BikeSmart pedals (flats) with studs, water bottle cage. $575.00, OBO. Great bike for older teens due to size, or entry level MTB for a taller adult.
    Bicycle Blue Book has its current price at $435.00.
    So I'm curious, is the asking price reasonable here, given the time owned/condition? I was thinking of offering ~$500.00. How realistic is the BB's assessment of a bikes worth?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Oh, forgot to mention...
    I'm a 55yo, laid back, non aggressive, fire road type rider. Figure the HR can keep me rolling this year and then find a '13 Carve on sale or used next year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You are close to discounting season. Check with your Spec dealer for any upcoming deals up to 20% off some bikes. Do a test ride while you're there.

Hi There!
    What eb1888 said, most of the new bikes come in around september, so august-ish is when to look for deals.
    NTFTC

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You are close to discounting season. Check with your Spec dealer for any upcoming deals up to 20% off some bikes. Do a test ride while you're there.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    What eb1888 said, most of the new bikes come in around september, so august-ish is when to look for deals.
    I agree 100% you should be able to get a 2013 for around $575 Offer your LBS $500 out the door see what he say's.
    Last night I got a new 2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29 er For $1,430.30 cash out the door.
    2013's are going for $1,699.00 in Arizona right now.
    They want to order the 2014's so they are willing to deal.
    Good Luck hope you get the bike you want
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

Rogue Exterminator
    I would not offer a dime over $435 used.

If Bicycle BB gives it a price of $435 for that model used.
    Assuming it is in good condition, that is what it is worth.
    Seems like a big hit but keep in mind when you buy it used, you get no warranty with the bike as they are usually not transferable. Also, the original owner benefited from bike shop incentives which usually include at minimum at least one free tune up worth about $40. However, he may have also gotten additional tune ups or life time adjustments which are not transferable and/or discounts off gear and accessories.

If they are not willing to come down to at least that price, I would move on and keep looking.
    Like mentioned before in another couple months, shops will start clearing out the 2013's and you will possibly be able to get that same bike new for around $500. I bought my Marin which is is a similar bike with a $700 msrp on clearance for $500 last year in September.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the input.
    I made an offer on the craigslist 2013 Hardrock and am now the happy owner of said Hardrock. Totally psyched to have a bike again, and pretty much anything is an upgrade from my late '90's Diamondback.

Thanks again...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If you got a good deal on it congrats ! I have the same one in a 15.5 frame and I got it from the shop at 700 !
    I changed grips and tires and hit the trails every other weekend !
    Really good bike solid components for the beginner trail rider !