2 2.67%
  • Leave them be....free enterprise and all that stuff

22 29.33%
  • potato

43 57.33%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    workin' it Administrator

Post your "etc" thread combine? or not? poll

I think think that all the "x-brand" post your 29er threads could be either combined with the Post your 29er thread #2 or into their own new post your 29er #3. What say you all?
    Try this: HTFU

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    I think think that all the "x-brand" post your 29er threads could be either combined with the Post your 29er thread #2 or into their own new post your 29er #3. What say you all?
    Huh?

--sParty

P.S. Potato
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

nothing to see here
    I say nay. I like being able to single out the single speeds 29ers etc. Also the niche brand threads and whatnot are cool too.

edit to add...It's also a useful tool for someone looking for dually, hardtail, single speed options etc to be able to do a search and then browse the thread.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Another option in the poll "Cave in to the whiners in the Bikesdirect thread." This wasn't an issue until I started that thread. I say keep mtbr neutral. If you start taking sides then it isn't a forum any more.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGrazing
    Another option in the poll "Cave in to the whiners in the Bikesdirect thread." This wasn't an issue until I started that thread. I say keep mtbr neutral. If you start taking sides then it isn't a forum any more.
    What's not neutral about what Rockcrusher is proposing?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

workin' it Administrator
    So far we are trending Potato. Looking good for the spuds!

If we are to allow independent post your "X-brand" bike photo threads then you all have to agree to stay out of the ones you don't like.

meatier showers

If we are to allow independent post your "X-brand" bike photo threads then you all have to agree to stay out of the ones you don't like.
    Looks like it doesn't matter anymore. Thankfully, the retailer threads have closed. Hopefully we can stick to bikes and not retailers now.

I'm still leaning toward potato... guess I'd better vote... tho I usually wait to vote 'til the last minute.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Map Maker
    potato!
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

~Disc~Golf~
    you should change your quote to "Jaybo... quit bltching and move to Idaho"
    Honestly... ahh I give up

workin' it Administrator
    I have closed all the current main page retailer threads until I hear from the men behind the curtain. If we reopen them I will clean them up to be photo threads, deleting all the discussion regarding the brand since specialized or blacksheep or single speed or rigid bike photo threads rarely have discussion regarding the merit of the brands/bike types within their photo threads.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    you should change your quote to "Jaybo... quit bltching and move to Idaho"
    Anywhere out of the PNW would be fine with me, but that's a quote from riverrat so I can't change it.

I still want to see a "post photos of your girlfriend astride a 29er" thread. This should have been in the poll.

It's all about the bike. Er... right?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Rhino
    My 2 cents. I like photo threads. What I don't like about photo threads is when people respond, ask questions, quote the post and duplicate the pictures (I'm sure I'm guilty here as well).

I wish dedicated photo threads were only photos and some description form the original poster. No banter, no questions, no discussions. Take the questions to PM or a new thread. Just pictures, like a bike coffee table book. Sometimes I just want to scroll through and look at a bunch of bike pictures.

...potato

mtbr member

Thank you!
    Spammers and trolls will find a way around any new rules or regulations. There are more spammers than we know on these boards. Some are just better at it than the "alleged" BD plants.

Free-er is better, so Potato.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    I think this is more about advertising? I don't see Niner threads being closed...but you wouldn't want to hurt the sponsor I guess. Not like this site gets that much real traffic to be closing good threads

MTB B'dos
    You seem mightly slow, seriously, so let me try to explain the difference again............

Brand = Niner, Turner, SpecialED, Giant, Rocky Mtn, Nicolai, Banshee, Norco - one brand name, but they might offer several different styles of bikes.

Retailer = Performance, REI, Speedgoat, Spining Lizard, Red Barn, Bikes Direct - they sell multiple brands, depending on your needs and likes.

Now get it straight, I absolutely have NO love for Niner, however they ARE a manufacturer, hence having a thread about the brand is fine, Having a thread about Spinning Lizard, BD, ro Speedgoat bikes is not.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGrazing
    I think this is more about advertising? I don't see Niner threads being closed...but you wouldn't want to hurt the sponsor I guess. Not like this site gets that much real traffic to be closing good threads
    Oh and toss any retailer oriented threads into the trash, if people want to have Motobecane, Windsor or any other such "brand" thread, then that's OK with me. Oh and do it exactly like Urbanseeds suggests, pics only, save the discussions for another thread or PMs etc.
    Last edited by LyNx; 02-15-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    You seem mightly slow, seriously, so let me try to explain the difference again............Brand = Niner, Turner, SpecialED, Giant, Rocky Mtn, Nicolai, Banshee, Norco - one brand name, but they might offer several different styles of bikes.
    Retailer - Performance, REI, Speedgoat, Spining Lizard, Red Barn, Bikes Direct - they sell multiple brands, depending on your needs and likes.

Now get it straight, I absolutely have NO love for Niner, however they ARE a manufacturer, hence having a thread about the brand is fine, Having a thread about Spinning Lizard, BD, ro Speedgoat bikes is not.
    I submit that the answer is either
    1) FreeGrazing is, as you surmise, mighty slow
    2) FreeGrazing is a BikesDirect employee

If he replies that he does not work for BikesDirect, we'll have our answer.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    You seem mightly slow, seriously, so let me try to explain the difference again............Brand = Niner, Turner, SpecialED, Giant, Rocky Mtn, Nicolai, Banshee, Norco - one brand name, but they might offer several different styles of bikes.
    Retailer - Performance, REI, Speedgoat, Spining Lizard, Red Barn, Bikes Direct - they sell multiple brands, depending on your needs and likes.

Could not agree more. Thank you!

Bloated Cubs Fan
    And like the sands through an hourglass, these are the days of our lives...

workin' it Administrator
    So far we have (in no particular order):

picture threads should be filled with pictures

discussion threads should be filled with discussions

manufacturer picture threads are ok as long as they are filled with potato, i mean pictures.

distributor threads are not ok as they are akin to an ad for all the brands that a distributor carries.

and of course: potato!

Apr 2007
    I'm for combining pic threads into the main 29er thread. We've got the SS forum for those interested in SS's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

--sParty
    Seems to be redundant answers...

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

--sParty

I can not answer this: noone who works for me posts on forums; per my instructions
    My wife sometimes posts on slowtwitch.com [I think that is spelling]; as she is a tri type

I have no idea who FreeGrazing is

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Phew!

I just bought a BD bike and was getting a little worried I was gonna have to swap the parts onto a Spinning Lizard bike to save face from being associated with sly marketing.

I got 10% off my bike for posting my purchase!.................not!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Phew!

I just bought a BD bike and was getting a little worried I was gonna have to swap the parts onto a Spinning Lizard bike to save face from being associated with sly marketing.

I got 10% off my bike for posting my purchase!.................not!

banned

dialect

I kinda like the dialect that goes with the picture threads. When you see a cool bike at the trail head or something that interest you while stopped for a water break. Do you take a picure of it and pedal on or do you talk to the owner?

How do you like that fat 2.4 rear tire? How's the clearance?
    How's that rear shock working for you?
    Rigged SS, WOW.....ever miss gears or suspension? etc......

I thought forums were a way to get others opinion and communicate. I will say that I dont like seeing the same pics many times with one word replies. It just slows everything down.

Isnt there a picture gallory for bike pics that rarely get a reply or many views for that matter?

MTB B'dos
    Well interestingly enough, I just this afternoon had a quite by chance experience with a Motobecane 29 Pro and it's owner. It may sell for less than my Paradox, but you know what, the owner just kept staring at my Paradox, so I let him ride it and well, the look on his face said it all - no size difference, we're both 6'2" and he was also riding a XL. I joked and said I'd check what sort of deal I could get on a frame and he seriously replied, "Please Do!" He just couldn't get over how much better my Paradox felt over the Fantom Pro I think to help him out a bit I'm going to remove the spacer from the Reba so it's @ 120mm travel and slacks out a bit.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast