2 2.67%
  • Leave them be....free enterprise and all that stuff

22 29.33%
  • potato

43 57.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    workin' it Administrator

Post your "etc" thread combine? or not? poll

I think think that all the "x-brand" post your 29er threads could be either combined with the Post your 29er thread #2 or into their own new post your 29er #3. What say you all?
    Try this: HTFU

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    I think think that all the "x-brand" post your 29er threads could be either combined with the Post your 29er thread #2 or into their own new post your 29er #3. What say you all?
    Huh?

--sParty

P.S. Potato
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

nothing to see here
    I say nay. I like being able to single out the single speeds 29ers etc. Also the niche brand threads and whatnot are cool too.

edit to add...It's also a useful tool for someone looking for dually, hardtail, single speed options etc to be able to do a search and then browse the thread.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    Another option in the poll "Cave in to the whiners in the Bikesdirect thread." This wasn't an issue until I started that thread. I say keep mtbr neutral. If you start taking sides then it isn't a forum any more.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGrazing
    Another option in the poll "Cave in to the whiners in the Bikesdirect thread." This wasn't an issue until I started that thread. I say keep mtbr neutral. If you start taking sides then it isn't a forum any more.
    What's not neutral about what Rockcrusher is proposing?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

workin' it Administrator
    So far we are trending Potato. Looking good for the spuds!

If we are to allow independent post your "X-brand" bike photo threads then you all have to agree to stay out of the ones you don't like.

meatier showers

If we are to allow independent post your "X-brand" bike photo threads then you all have to agree to stay out of the ones you don't like.
    Looks like it doesn't matter anymore. Thankfully, the retailer threads have closed. Hopefully we can stick to bikes and not retailers now.

I'm still leaning toward potato... guess I'd better vote... tho I usually wait to vote 'til the last minute.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Map Maker
    potato!
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

~Disc~Golf~
    you should change your quote to "Jaybo... quit bltching and move to Idaho"
    Honestly... ahh I give up

workin' it Administrator
    I have closed all the current main page retailer threads until I hear from the men behind the curtain. If we reopen them I will clean them up to be photo threads, deleting all the discussion regarding the brand since specialized or blacksheep or single speed or rigid bike photo threads rarely have discussion regarding the merit of the brands/bike types within their photo threads.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    you should change your quote to "Jaybo... quit bltching and move to Idaho"
    Anywhere out of the PNW would be fine with me, but that's a quote from riverrat so I can't change it.

I still want to see a "post photos of your girlfriend astride a 29er" thread. This should have been in the poll.

It's all about the bike. Er... right?

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Rhino
    My 2 cents. I like photo threads. What I don't like about photo threads is when people respond, ask questions, quote the post and duplicate the pictures (I'm sure I'm guilty here as well).

I wish dedicated photo threads were only photos and some description form the original poster. No banter, no questions, no discussions. Take the questions to PM or a new thread. Just pictures, like a bike coffee table book. Sometimes I just want to scroll through and look at a bunch of bike pictures.

...potato

mtbr member

Thank you!
    Spammers and trolls will find a way around any new rules or regulations. There are more spammers than we know on these boards. Some are just better at it than the "alleged" BD plants.

Free-er is better, so Potato.

29ering
    Jan 2011
    I think this is more about advertising? I don't see Niner threads being closed...but you wouldn't want to hurt the sponsor I guess. Not like this site gets that much real traffic to be closing good threads

MTB B'dos
    You seem mightly slow, seriously, so let me try to explain the difference again............

Brand = Niner, Turner, SpecialED, Giant, Rocky Mtn, Nicolai, Banshee, Norco - one brand name, but they might offer several different styles of bikes.

Retailer = Performance, REI, Speedgoat, Spining Lizard, Red Barn, Bikes Direct - they sell multiple brands, depending on your needs and likes.

Now get it straight, I absolutely have NO love for Niner, however they ARE a manufacturer, hence having a thread about the brand is fine, Having a thread about Spinning Lizard, BD, ro Speedgoat bikes is not.

I think this is more about advertising? I don't see Niner threads being closed...but you wouldn't want to hurt the sponsor I guess. Not like this site gets that much real traffic to be closing good threads
    Oh and toss any retailer oriented threads into the trash, if people want to have Motobecane, Windsor or any other such "brand" thread, then that's OK with me. Oh and do it exactly like Urbanseeds suggests, pics only, save the discussions for another thread or PMs etc.
    Last edited by LyNx; 02-15-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    You seem mightly slow, seriously, so let me try to explain the difference again............Brand = Niner, Turner, SpecialED, Giant, Rocky Mtn, Nicolai, Banshee, Norco - one brand name, but they might offer several different styles of bikes.
    Retailer - Performance, REI, Speedgoat, Spining Lizard, Red Barn, Bikes Direct - they sell multiple brands, depending on your needs and likes.

Now get it straight, I absolutely have NO love for Niner, however they ARE a manufacturer, hence having a thread about the brand is fine, Having a thread about Spinning Lizard, BD, ro Speedgoat bikes is not.
    I submit that the answer is either
    1) FreeGrazing is, as you surmise, mighty slow
    2) FreeGrazing is a BikesDirect employee

If he replies that he does not work for BikesDirect, we'll have our answer.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

banned
    You seem mightly slow, seriously, so let me try to explain the difference again............Brand = Niner, Turner, SpecialED, Giant, Rocky Mtn, Nicolai, Banshee, Norco - one brand name, but they might offer several different styles of bikes.
    Retailer - Performance, REI, Speedgoat, Spining Lizard, Red Barn, Bikes Direct - they sell multiple brands, depending on your needs and likes.

Could not agree more. Thank you!

Bloated Cubs Fan
    And like the sands through an hourglass, these are the days of our lives...

workin' it Administrator
    So far we have (in no particular order):

picture threads should be filled with pictures

discussion threads should be filled with discussions

manufacturer picture threads are ok as long as they are filled with potato, i mean pictures.

distributor threads are not ok as they are akin to an ad for all the brands that a distributor carries.

and of course: potato!

Apr 2007
    I'm for combining pic threads into the main 29er thread. We've got the SS forum for those interested in SS's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

--sParty
    Seems to be redundant answers...

Mtbr Forum Sponsor

--sParty

I can not answer this: noone who works for me posts on forums; per my instructions
    My wife sometimes posts on slowtwitch.com [I think that is spelling]; as she is a tri type

I have no idea who FreeGrazing is

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Phew!

I just bought a BD bike and was getting a little worried I was gonna have to swap the parts onto a Spinning Lizard bike to save face from being associated with sly marketing.

I got 10% off my bike for posting my purchase!.................not!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Phew!

I just bought a BD bike and was getting a little worried I was gonna have to swap the parts onto a Spinning Lizard bike to save face from being associated with sly marketing.

banned

dialect

I kinda like the dialect that goes with the picture threads. When you see a cool bike at the trail head or something that interest you while stopped for a water break. Do you take a picure of it and pedal on or do you talk to the owner?

How do you like that fat 2.4 rear tire? How's the clearance?
    How's that rear shock working for you?
    Rigged SS, WOW.....ever miss gears or suspension? etc......

I thought forums were a way to get others opinion and communicate. I will say that I dont like seeing the same pics many times with one word replies. It just slows everything down.

Isnt there a picture gallory for bike pics that rarely get a reply or many views for that matter?

MTB B'dos
    Well interestingly enough, I just this afternoon had a quite by chance experience with a Motobecane 29 Pro and it's owner. It may sell for less than my Paradox, but you know what, the owner just kept staring at my Paradox, so I let him ride it and well, the look on his face said it all - no size difference, we're both 6'2" and he was also riding a XL. I joked and said I'd check what sort of deal I could get on a frame and he seriously replied, "Please Do!" He just couldn't get over how much better my Paradox felt over the Fantom Pro I think to help him out a bit I'm going to remove the spacer from the Reba so it's @ 120mm travel and slacks out a bit.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Well interestingly enough, I just this afternoon had a quite by chance experience with a Motobecane 29 Pro and it's owner. It may sell for less than my Paradox, but you know what, the owner just kept staring at my Paradox, so I let him ride it and well, the look on his face said it all - no size difference, we're both 6'2" and he was also riding a XL. I joked and said I'd check what sort of deal I could get on a frame and he seriously replied, "Please Do!" He just couldn't get over how much better my Paradox felt over the Fantom Pro I think to help him out a bit I'm going to remove the spacer from the Reba so it's @ 120mm travel and slacks out a bit.
    That's a beautiful story. When can I expect the movie adaptation?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Sounds Flexy to me.

I vote Potato.

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll
    I kinda like the dialect that goes with the picture threads. When you see a cool bike at the trail head or something that interest you while stopped for a water break. Do you take a picure of it and pedal on or do you talk to the owner?

How do you like that fat 2.4 rear tire? How's the clearance?
    How's that rear shock working for you?
    Rigged SS, WOW.....ever miss gears or suspension? etc......

I thought forums were a way to get others opinion and communicate. I will say that I dont like seeing the same pics many times with one word replies. It just slows everything down.

Isnt there a picture gallory for bike pics that rarely get a reply or many views for that matter?
    Agreed-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

AZ
    banned

Go back to trolling Pinkbike .

Rider and Wrench
    So it is definitive a ~$100 XC oriented frame feels different than a ~$500+ Agro/All mountain frame- a true revelation!

Sorry LyNx it had to be said!
    I Just wish I could ride more!

MTB B'dos
    Sorry, people are always going on about the difference in price and is it worth it. I think it's worth it, for the well thought out geo, construction and support a company like Bahsee gives - not only as in support if something goes wrong, but as in support to riders all around the world in their rider programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    So it is definitive a ~$100 XC oriented frame feels different than a ~$500+ Agro/All mountain frame- a true revelation!

Sorry LyNx it had to be said!
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Sorry, people are always going on about the difference in price and is it worth it. I think it's worth it, for the well thought out geo, construction and support a company like Bahsee gives - not only as in support if something goes wrong, but as in support to riders all around the world in their rider programs.

Depends on what you want

The Fantom 29 is a quick tight design; some people like it
    Some prefer a more comfy AL frame giving up some quickness [that is why we will have Gravity 29ers this spring for those that like a ride that is less stiff more comfortable]

If you want quick and comfy; we and others have Ti 29ers for that; and that is where you can really tell the difference in price being worth it. I have never talked to one rider that has come off any AL 29er and gone to a FLY 29 Ti who has not been amazed by the difference.

This is way I like choices
    Everyone has lots of options and that is great

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by foxcreek
    Phew!

The only way to save face would be to take the stickers off and try to hide the fact you own a $5 frame.

People wake up, why do think there bikes are cheaper then anyone elses? Same part costs, they have to save the money in making an ultra cheap frame.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard
    The only way to save face would be to take the stickers off and try to hide the fact you own a $5 frame.

People wake up, why do think there bikes are cheaper then anyone elses? Same part costs, they have to save the money in making an ultra cheap frame.
    What he said X 1000

Bloated Cubs Fan

I guess that these "super cheap" frames have NO place, and serve NO purpose to the bike buying consumer. I completely understand that a quality made boutique brand frame is superior, and I get that it's absolutely ridiculous to state on their website "60% less than anyone else, it compares to, well, nothing," but really, what is the big effing deal? Are you guys really so effing cynical about cycling that noone whose bought a Moto can have a sense of pride of ownership for their bike? It's absurd! I can only assume that everyone that's replied negatively to either thread about BD in the last few days is either a child, or a complete d-bag. This thread sucks!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdude
    I guess that these "super cheap" frames have NO place, and serve NO purpose to the bike buying consumer. I completely understand that a quality made boutique brand frame is superior, and I get that it's absolutely ridiculous to state on their website "60% less than anyone else, it compares to, well, nothing," but really, what is the big effing deal? Are you guys really so effing cynical about cycling that noone whose bought a Moto can have a sense of pride of ownership for their bike? It's absurd! I can only assume that everyone that's replied negatively to either thread about BD in the last few days is either a child, or a complete d-bag. This thread sucks!
    You're not just barking up the wrong tree, you're barking in the wrong forest. This has nothing to do with how cheap BD or anybody else wants to sell a bike. Buy whatever you want. Buyer beware. Welcome to capitalism.

This has to do with marketing and shilling and bending rules and twisting and subverting and trying to use a well loved bicycling forum to deliver your marketing message under the radar. Not cool even if you do buy ads on that very forum.

Buy whatever bike you want whether it's a $10,000 booteek wonderbike or POS bike and I hope you love it, but please keep your eye on the ball. In order to do that, first you have to know what the ball looks like. In this case it looks like guerrilla marketing with a heavy dose of shilling.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Bloated Cubs Fan
    You're not just barking up the wrong tree, you're barking in the wrong forest. This has nothing to do with how cheap BD or anybody else wants to sell a bike. Buy whatever you want. Buyer beware. Welcome to capitalism.

This has to do with marketing and shilling and bending rules and twisting and subverting and trying to use a well loved bicycling forum to deliver your marketing message under the radar. Not cool even if you do buy ads on that very forum.

Buy whatever bike you want whether it's a $10,000 booteek wonderbike or POS bike and I hope you love it, but please keep your eye on the ball. In order to do that, first you have to know what the ball looks like. In this case it looks like guerrilla marketing with a heavy dose of shilling.

--sParty
    Look at the post I was quoting and then tell me I'm wrong. I don't even have a horse in this race, but I honestly can't believe the raw nerve that bikesdirect touches in this community. It's akin to reverse penis envy.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor

I do not know who you are; but you do not understand the complete story in the bike business or you are playing like you do not understand it.

Prices of most bikes have very little to do with frame cost - that is a simple fact.

Biggest item in bike price is dealer mark-up; followed by distributor mark-up; then in most bikes wheels are next; frame maybe the number 4 or 5 or 6 item in cost on bike. On most bikes ocean freight & shipping exceeds frame cost. This is just how the business is.

I have done several posts on relative frame costs; which are the same for all of us that import bikes.

The way we save customers money has ZERO to do with frame cost - exactly ZERO
    It has everything to do with distribution cost

Black Sheep rising
    Look at the post I was quoting and then tell me I'm wrong. I don't even have a horse in this race, but I honestly can't believe the raw nerve that bikesdirect touches in this community. It's akin to reverse penis envy.
    Word. Kinda reminds me of the whole Ibex issue a couple years ago. Apparently, I can say "I really love my Black Sheep/Jones/Niner/etc.!!!" and not be accused of being a shill. But back when Ibex was a presence on MTBR, saying something similar netted one similar responses to what Bikesdirect is getting here. It seems there is a lower $$ threshold that a bike must reach before the snobs will leave it alone.

FWIW, I think it's great that Mike has a presence here. Since when is having access to a business owner A Bad Thing? And to expect him to NOT promote his company/livelihood is, well, ignorant of Real Life.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    I do not know who you are; but you do not understand the complete story in the bike business or you are playing like you do not understand it.

Prices of most bikes have very little to do with frame cost - that is a simple fact.

Biggest item in bike price is dealer mark-up; followed by distributor mark-up; then in most bikes wheels are next; frame maybe the number 4 or 5 or 6 item in cost on bike. On most bikes ocean freight & shipping exceeds frame cost. This is just how the business is.

I have done several posts on relative frame costs; which are the same for all of us that import bikes.

Mike, I call you out. Not afraid. Your are wrong, maybe on some brands, but not yours. Why dont you release how much its cost to make your frame? Then lets go to another brand and compare. I would be suprised if you pay more the $2 per frame. You sir are the worst part of the bike business. You should partner with Walmart, you could even distribute more garbage. You make a CRAP product. Its cheap and low quality, that is fine. But dont get on here and claim other, its just pathetic. Everybody knows this except for the poor people you pull the wool over their eyes.

Het Mods you reading? Maybe we should change MTBR to BIkes Direct Forum.

And also Mike any BD bike that now rolls into my store is automatic double charge. If they need it adjusted they can send it back to you for adjustment right?

Hey all you dealers out there, if we all refuse to work on these pieces of garbage maybe it will hit them in their sales when nobody can get their BD bike fixed.

Mike, you want a war you got ONE!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Mike, I call you out. Not afraid. Your are wrong, maybe on some brands, but not yours. Why dont you release how much its cost to make your frame? Then lets go to another brand and compare. I would be suprised if you pay more the $2 per frame. You sir are the worst part of the bike business. You should partner with Walmart, you could even distribute more garbage. You make a CRAP product. Its cheap and low quality, that is fine. But dont get on here and claim other, its just pathetic. Everybody knows this except for the poor people you pull the wool over their eyes.

Het Mods you reading? Maybe we should change MTBR to BIkes Direct Forum.

And also Mike any BD bike that now rolls into my store is automatic double charge. If they need it adjusted they can send it back to you for adjustment right?

Hey all you dealers out there, if we all refuse to work on these pieces of garbage maybe it will hit them in their sales when nobody can get their BD bike fixed.

Mike, you want a war you got ONE!

How strange

I understand that the major issue to bike shops is WalMart; not bikesdirect nor performance nor REI -- and an attempt to shut customers out of service on ANY bikes is anti cycling and will not help shops [mine or anyones]

Guess after 30 years of these; you get a more balanced veiw

But calling my bikes garage is an open mis-statement that everyone reading this gets that you are just upset. Too many posters on here have had our bikes for anyone to beleive we "make a CRAP product. Its cheap and low quality". Plus many are aware of the bikes that we sell that are exactly the same as seen in shops under different label.

I have posted what we and everyone pays for AL frames, CF frames, Ti frames, and Steel frames - I am not affraid for people to know that. Why would I be?

BTW - if you think Kinesis or Sunrise will sell me an aluminum frame for $2 and then charge Felt, Jamis, Specialized' or Trek $25 for the same type aluminum frame; you must feel I am the best buyer on earth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect

I smell something....what is that....oh yea that's definitely the smell of bull$hit...

Your distribution costs may be lower as you are the walmart of bike retail but your frames do cost far less to produce thanks in part to finding the lowest cost Chinese builder.Other companies try a different approach to business, quality first. Maybe that is why their frames and bikes cost more. Since your distribution costs are so low why are some of your lines the same price as in an IBD....without any maintenance plans or support?

No trying to troll ---- just calling out a liar to his customer.
    Last edited by poorboy006; 02-16-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboy006
    I smell something....what is that....oh yea that's definitely the smell of bull$hit...

Your distribution costs may be lower as you are the walmart of bike retail but your frames do cost far less to produce thanks in part to finding the lowest cost Chinese builder.Other companies try a different approach to business, quality first. Maybe that is why their frames and bikes cost more. I wonder why IBDs have always keep such great distance from your lines...

No trying to troll ---- just calling out a liar to his customer.

first calling someone a liar when you do not know your facts is not really fair

our frames cost the same as anyone elses
    it is very simple; and mostb readers here are smart enough to know that

if you want to know the impact of distriubtion cost; and you do not have time to study up on it; look at other industries. Or look at one of our Ti spec'd bikes vs LBS CF bikes or one of our CF bikes vs LBS AL bikes.

readers on forums are generally very smart and well informed
    they understand that Ti frames cost 2 to 3 times as mush as CF frames
    and that CF frames cost 8 or 10 times AL frames
    therefore; our price differences must come from distribution cost

it is really very simple; and works the same in many industries
    ]oem+duty+trans]xdisMUxretMU equals shop pricing
    reduce or eliminate one cost and selling price goes down
    has nothing to due with quality

think about
    internet sales exist for a reason

workin' it Administrator
    wow. I never thought I would have to lock down a thread I start.

Everyone just needs to settle down in here.

Spinning Lizard, you need to take your discussion with Bikes Direct to a PM level and ditto Bikes Direct. Creating a hostile environment in this thread is taking away from the potato-y goodness.

AZ
    banned
    I vote for fries ............
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    I vote for fries ............
    I like pie
    Ummm. Pie

MTB B'dos
    WOW, just WOW, this is all RockCrushers' fault BTW, I like original big cut CHIPS take those whimpy amercian fries and stuff them

Oh and I also like popcorn, just going to grab some as being home sick with nothing to do was boring, but I think this thread is about to get much more interesting
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey my last bike was a Peugeot Alpine Express 501 crommalloy-M Biopace crank! Do not tell me I downgraded Spinning Liz! I thought you were funny for replicating your competitor's non editting style but now I am thinking of putting a Spinning Lizard sticker over one side of my Motobecane downtube!

meatier showers
    I didn't say or intend to imply that you were in the wrong forest alone. Perhaps you were lured there. Anyway, now you know. So please ignore or set straight those who are missing the point. Don't let them take you by the hand. You're better than that.

Every retailer ought to be able to serve whatever segment of the market they want to serve, from welfare recipients to MDs. That's fine. Completely unrelated to this, abusing beloved forums like this one by trying to do sneaky end runs around the forum's marketing rules is wrong. Let's not stand for it, waterdude. Thanks.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

trail rat
    I think we need to get the admins to clarify the official guidelines on shilling, and stop ignoring the requests to do exactly that.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast