#1 ·
Post Pictures of your 29er.
Now is the time to flaunt your beast
:thumbsup:

#714 ·
wannabeRacer said:
wow, a very nice build!
can you give us specs?
Thanks, it started as one of the ebay 29ers that I'm sure everyone has seen (there are a few in this thread). I took all the stickers off everything and all the parts of the frame and got clear brown painted over the silver to make a really dark rootbeer (the painter masked the logos on the head and seat tube but we covered over all the text. From there I kept all the components but replaced the tires with Schwalbe Fat Franks and the seat with a Brooks B-17 in honey. I took some cruiser bars and cut them down a bit then installed them upside down. I replaced the grips with some cork ones and also got some goofy anodized blue value stem cover things to match the blue on the tires. I really wanted to built up a 29er cruiser with coaster brake and more traditional styling but where I live there isn't flat ground for 20 miles in any direction. I will be sticking to the roads but I need gears to get around here.

#716 ·

Frame: 2010 Scott Scale 29er XL
Fork: 2010 Fox F29 RLC 100mm
Crank: Truvativ XX 175, 39/26
Pedals: Shimano XTR
Handlebar: FSA K-Force Carbon 660mm
Stem: Thomson X4 120mm, 10 degree
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece 350mm
Headset: Stock Ritchey
Housing: Jagwire 4mm (yellow!)
Chain: Sram 991 (with not just one, but two quick links!)
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-32
Brakes: Shimano XT 160/140
Tires: Maxxis Aspen 2.1 (tubeless with Stans)
Wheels: Industry 9 hubs and spokes / Stans 355 rims
Saddle: Fizik Gobi XM
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR
Rear Derailleur: Sram XO (medium cage)
Shifters: XO triggers
Grips: ESI chunky green

23.9lbs.

#720 ·
92gli said:
Motobecane Ti frame
White bros. carbon fork
Stans 355/ztr hub wheels
specialized captain 2.2 tires
xt cassette and cranks, 540 pedals, kmc x10sl chain
x9 rear der. and shifter
paul chain keeper
specialized 90mm stem and riser bars from a stumpjumper i used to have
thomson post, velo seat that came on my road bike
elixir CRs
carbon bars and a bunch of ti bolts on the way

Weighing myself on a bathroom scale holding the bike I'm getting 20-20.5 lbs., but I have to get it on a proper hanging scale. Its more fun than a party in tiger's suite :D After all these years riding with suspension I forgot that you can climb steep stuff standing up. :eekster:

THIS IS A GREAT LOOKING BIKE!!!

#723 ·
My Mama

Here she is pre-ride Saturday morning:

I think that she's getting pretty close too final build. Weight was 29.45 after swapping stems post ride. Have a Geax Gato 2.3 on order for the front and them will swap the Sagauro to the rear. XT cassette and a new saddle will round it out. Love this bike more and more every ride. Hands down a better ride over my HeiHei! Being a clyde, I am hoping to get it around the 28lb mark.

#729 ·
selin said:
Are you braking while taking the pictures? If you don't you need to readjust them. In your photos the torque arm on the caliper is advanced. The torque arm should return completely when the brake lever is released.
Happy riding!
BTW, put the QR lever on the other side otherwise you'll risk burning your hand on the rotors when using it.

#733 · (Edited)
tedsalt said:
Surly Karate Monkey geared (soon to have mountain drops)

Duo cranks

Sporting a 5 speed spider 18-32T

in a constant state of flux ...
There ya go, it fits here. :)

Nice setup, so 2x5 is it? Guess that is a VV? (If SRAM 2x10 is XX).

Post it up with the drops too.

#735 ·
slocaus said:
There ya go, it fits here. :)

Nice setup, so 2x5 is it? Guess that is a VV? (If SRAM 2x10 is XX).

Post it up with the drops too.
Thanks slocaus! Yeah, 2x5 (or DosV) at the moment. I just dropped off two spiders from 11-34T cassettes at laynemachineworks.com to have them machined down on the back side so they'll fit the 240s SS bolt on hubs. So it'll be 2x6 soon (17-34T). I've got two sets of wheels all built with DT 240s hubs. Semi's/Big Apples for road, Gordo's/WWLT for trail. Trying to make it as clyde proof as possible :D Been enjoying the ride!!!

#737 ·
My Mama

I bought this frame from bikepartsexpress.com (Sage Cycles) on the cheap, and built it up with parts from my Ferrous 29er which I recently had to retire because of a cracked weld.

Reba Race fork, Bontrager Race X Lite wheels, XDX tires, X9 shift/derail, salsa 34T chainring, salsa ringdinger, N gear jump stop, 990 cassette, 991 chain, XT cranks (polished!), Bontrager RXL Pro saddle, RXL carbon post, RXL stem, RL Bigsweep bars, Cane Creek Solos Headset, XT brakes with G3 rotors and shimano pedals (I think that sums it up)

Good looking bike, can't wait to take it for a ride.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.