mtbr member

Ponderings and Musings: Gary Fisher Ferrous

So, just for the sake of discussion, I am wondering people's thoughts about the Gary Fisher Ferrous. I read up on old posts and so far here is what I got:

1) Ox Platinum Steel Frame made in the USA (The Blue One)
    2) Obviously discontinued
    3) Had frame breaking issues? not sure if this is true, or a one-off that happened to someone...

My question is: why isn't this frame more sought after, especially as steel has made a real comeback? even if it was discontinued 3 years ago, a steel frame is good for WAY longer than that.

just wondering your thoughts and opinions...

Sweep the leg!
    I've had my trusty Ferrous for quite a while. Mine's pink. (look at my post history) I don't know how or if they're breaking, but I know of a few others in the area and they're healthy.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    found mine in the uk after months of searching.

Comfy, smooth, limited tire clearance on chain stay (2.2's look like the largest size poss). Medium was a shade under 6lb but I didn't buy it to be light.

Now coupled with a niner carbon fork and this thing slices through singletrack like a razor, to the extent where I think this is the best handling 29er I have had so far (no.11).

I know the modern trend is for 70 deg head angle and 45 mm offset forks but this feels grand with the 72.6 deg head angle and 45mm fork.

If it ever fails its getting repaired and I might get the chainstays crimped at the same time for a larger tire.

mtbr member
    I've had 2 Ferrous frames. Neither cracked but both rusted pretty bad. The first bike developed spiderwebbing underneath the paint in multiple places, especially at the gussets near the head tube.

Pros-
    Smooth ride
    Nice looking (simple clean lines. Both were black)

Cons-
    Paint is thin and chips easily
    Rear tire clearance (had the chain stays crimped and it didn't help very much)
    EBB. Not my favorite design

Would I buy one again? Nope. I put thousands of miles on my Ferrous and enjoyed the bikes but the Cons out weigh the Pros. I'd look for another steel frame if I were you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had a blue Ferrous that I absolutely loved. The headtube is scary-steep by modern standards, but I thought it worked well with a 39mm offset fork (both the old Reba and the Bontrager Switchblade). It wasn't a bike that was particularly strong on the downhill, but that fit my riding fine.

Unfortunately, my frame cracked at the seattube-toptube intersection. Trek was good about taking care of the warranty, but the replacement is a Rig, as they're all out of new Ferrous frames. As much as I liked the bike, I would only buy one secondhand if it was cheap enough to eat the price if it cracked.

Still, though, I think that's been my favorite frame I've ridden. Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Was on of my favorites, I had 2 crack at the seat tube (2007 & 2009). Was a sweet ride, ebb had some creaking and rust developed on the top tube / head tube gusset.
    2011 Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    1998 Indy Fab Deluxe
    1988 Ritchey SuperComp
    1988 Ritchey Ascent
    1994 Bontrager
    1995 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Cracks are a no go! Seems to be the biggest problem!

mtbr member
    I like the Ferrous, The steel is appealing. I have an 07 Rig that I love, Not sure if the Geom. is the same or not?
    I simply want to do Gods will...And he has allowed me to go to the Mountain>>>>>>>

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have heard that the Ferrous was a KB design, and as a long-time Bontrager owner/riderand I had always wanted to pick one up to try it out. I bid on a clean orange one recently, but due to my concerns about the frame cracking history I set my snipe bid fairly low and lost the auction. It actually went for a pretty decent price so the seller should have been happy. Other than the potential for the seat/top tube cracking some folks have also mentioned the seatstays being pretty broad and hitting them with their legs and heels. Seems like I also read that the frames were a little on the heavy side which isn't in keeping with the Bontrager theme. Nonetheless it still seems like a cool frame worth owning and riding.

Regarding clark James question I think the Rig is G2 and the Ferrous is not although I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    I bought a used '08 Ferrous (the blue one) about a year ago and I've loved every second of the bike. I upgraded the stock wheels to Arches and I'm super happy.

One thing that helps the steep HTA a little bit is to take a spacer out of the fork. Mine came stock at 80mm - letting it out to 100mm has helped the bike feel a bit more stable downhill.

I'm sort of on the market for a FS 29er, and when I do finally make a decision I'll take advantage of that EBB and go single speed, maybe even rigid, on it. Still, the Ferrous is awesome and its a big part of the reason I feel good taking time with my FS purchase.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have been watching that orange GF Ferrous on ebay as well. The only scary part, if you do a history search on it, it was sold at least 3x on ebay by the same seller. Not sure what happened to the first two buyers, but this is what made me not bid.

Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    I have heard that the Ferrous was a KB design, and as a long-time Bontrager owner/riderand I had always wanted to pick one up to try it out. I bid on a clean orange one recently, but due to my concerns about the frame cracking history I set my snipe bid fairly low and lost the auction. It actually went for a pretty decent price so the seller should have been happy. Other than the potential for the seat/top tube cracking some folks have also mentioned the seatstays being pretty broad and hitting them with their legs and heels. Seems like I also read that the frames were a little on the heavy side which isn't in keeping with the Bontrager theme. Nonetheless it still seems like a cool frame worth owning and riding.

Regarding clark James question I think the Rig is G2 and the Ferrous is not although I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    I had good luck with mine for about 2 years. It was a warranty replacement for a cracked XCal. Now it will be going in for warranty replacement.

Cracked on both sides of the frame at the same spot.

Side A

Side B

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I cracked a blue and a black one, both at the seat tube/top tube junction. The bike flexes like it's made of actual noodles. If I wanted another steel bike it would be an El Mariachi.

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    I may have an option to buy a 2008... if I buy it and run into any frame issues, will Trek cover those for me?
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride
    Blog: Daddy Rides Bikes

mtbr member
    I've wondered that too. Bought mine used, no receipt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burnedthetoast View Post
    I may have an option to buy a 2008... if I buy it and run into any frame issues, will Trek cover those for me?
    In a word, no. The warranty is only for the original purchaser. Although since it is steel it can be repaired by your local welder.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Offically the word is no, if you have a good bike shop they may help you out. I actually bought mine used and Trek still honored the warranty. I believe this is more of the exception than the rule.