Thread: Pole Machine

mtbr member

Pole Machine

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but I am more than a little besotted by it!

Pole Machine-pole-machine_white_page.jpg

https://polebicycles.com/machine/

I really like the ideas behind it, I have been interested in their geometry on their other bikes for a while but this bring things pretty next level and is a completely new way of looking at things. I am definitely not adverse to carbon bikes, I have a couple, but I am a sucker for CNC work when it is done well!

If I were to build one of these up, it would look a little something like this:

FRAME: Pole Machine

FORKS: Rock Shox Lyric RCT3 180mm

RIMS: Raceface Arc 35

HUBS: Hope Pro 4 Evo

SPOKES: DT Swiss

TYRES: Maxxis 29 x 2.6/2.8/3.0

HANDLEBARS: Raceface Turbine R

STEM: Raceface Turbine R 32mm

SPACERS: Hope

GRIPS: ESI

SEATPOST: Rockshox Reverb

SADDLE: Bontrager Evoke Ti

CRANKSET: Raceface Turbine

CHAINRING: One Up Switch Traction Ring 30T

BOTTOM BRACKET: Praxxis

CHAIN: SRAM X1

REAR DERAILIEUR: SRAM X01 11 Speed/Shimano XT

CASSETTE: SRAM XX1 11 Speed with one up ring

SHIFTER: Sram XO1/Shimano XT

BRAKES: SRAM Guide with 203mm Rotors/Hope E4 with 200mm Rotors

I reckon this thing would be an absolute beast with 3.0 tyres on, the ultimate monster truck! Not that I've thought too much about this over the past weekend!!

i like rocks
    yeah, that thing is redonk. probably the only thing coming out right now that could pursued me to hang up my Mega.

I can't wait for production models to hit the press and give me reviews to drool over.

all i have to add is "do want" and "probably cannot afford".
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Yeah, that Machine has me drooling too. I have a Pole 158 on pre-order, and while I'm tempted to change my order, it would cost me $1400 get the Machine, and I just can't rationalize that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I want one. I wish they made it in a 160 fork so I can buy the frameset and just transfer everything over from my Mega 290.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

pta
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm proud new owner of Pole Evolink 29" 160/140 mm. It's a true game changer! Really easy to ride and it doesn't feel clumsy and it's fast as Hell.
    Let‚Äôs go Racing! ‚Äď The 10 fastest enduro bikes in test | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine
    I saw the Maschines prototype and tested it on parking lot and I'm in love. Beautiful piece of Art!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    It is supremely beautiful. Makes me want to move to a resort town to justify a purchase of one.

I am curious to see how well the bonded tubes hold up to real world abuse.

i like rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealityshow View Post
    I am curious to see how well the bonded tubes hold up to real world abuse.
    I'm sure its totally bomber. designing that kind of stuff is fairly well understood and i'm sure they've evaluated materials and designed for appropriate substrate contact surfaces and material thicknesses. Given how much machine work must go into something like this, designing for the adhesive interfaces would be a minor engineering task.

I see plenty of small machine bolts holding the halves together. I'm willing to bet these were added just to keep the parts consistently clamped and aligned while the adhesives cure and probably aren't needed to take any load in the final product.

Structural adhesives, depending on type, can take several weeks to cure, so its much more practical to add a couple more machine steps and some fasteners than it is to fixture the parts and clamp it for most of a month.

I think this thing is freekin brilliant. anybody know what the weight came out at? If this beast is 30 pounds or less it will literally be the ultimate bike.

FYI: I deal with some structural adhesives in my line work. they work pretty good.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    I am sure this thing will be overkill but I'm trying to make it happen right now!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    i am sure this bike is cool but when i read Pole Machine i just think of a really dedicated stripper. like one that has been out there for like 15 songs or something

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    i am sure this bike is cool but when i read Pole Machine i just think of a really dedicated stripper. like one that has been out there for like 15 songs or something
    Boner Garage
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I too am super close to pulling the trigger on one of these! Curious if there are owners of Pole Evolinks out there who could give their opinion if this bike is a true quiver killer and would upgrade to a Machine?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hi pta - congrats on your Evolink! May I ask what sort of trails you ride on typically? Iím seriously considering beteeen a Machine or an Evolink 140

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Is anyone concerned about protecting the shock from rear wheel debris?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger as well. The more I study the kinematics, listen to the real world reviews of the Evolink, and drool over the simple beauty of the lines of the bike I can't see going any other direction.

Couple of things that I'm trying to get answered before hitting the 'buy' button on the frame set.

1) Warranty - Pole says 'lifetime'. However sitting here in the southern rockies...If I crack a swing arm for example, I'm concerned with the down-time. Weeks? Months?

2) Untested long term durability - Sure this is first gen radical stuff. I guess there's known inherent risk, but $3300 is a chunk for me. Evil bikes damn near went tits up on their first gen breakages. They pulled through though and all is well.

Other than that I honestly can't see why not. I'm a sucker for C&C bling, and if it climbs and descends half as well as the Evolink riders say it does, then win!
    Santa Fe, NM

Pos rep makes me sad
    I heard that they're in the process of creating a "how it's made" sort of video regarding this.

Interesting how they chose this shaping, when they could've chose pretty much any shape they wanted. The offset and sideways turned shock...

pta
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubmah View Post
    Hi pta - congrats on your Evolink! May I ask what sort of trails you ride on typically? Iím seriously considering beteeen a Machine or an Evolink 140
    My riding is mainly trail riding. Occasionally I visit bike parks too. I think the mashine would be bit overkill for my riding. I think Evolink is better all purpose bike

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post

Yep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post

Their Evolink bikes actually have a nice little fender to protect the shock but it doesnít look like the asymmetric swingarm design lends itself to this. Could be a big problem in the climate my neck of the woods tends to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fix foot pain, gain skills you forgot you had and have more fun whilst doing it!

http://www.mcssl.com/app/?af=1681397

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Their warranty is not a crash replace warranty. As I have read it it is a lifetime warranty for structural defects only. I would ask them directly

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hi Jamie
    I guess we must have similar tastes as I was looking at an an evo link 140 and now got my eye on one of these too!
    If you want to try the radical geometry I have one of the latest mojo geometrons in the garage you are welcome to have a play on. Not as poppy and playful as the switchblade but super fast and insanely capable!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigglet13 View Post
    Hi Jamie
    I guess we must have similar tastes as I was looking at an an evo link 140 and now got my eye on one of these too!
    If you want to try the radical geometry I have one of the latest mojo geometrons in the garage you are welcome to have a play on. Not as poppy and playful as the switchblade but super fast and insanely capable!
    Hey Dave!

I guess we must! I wondered why you had gone quiet on the SB thread, did it go the journey?

Thank you for the offer, that would be awesome, I am really interested to see what they ride like. We really need to sort that ride out at some point soon!

I'd still keep the Switchblade, if I did end up with one of these, both completely different bikes and the Pivot is, I believe perfect for me. I'm having trouble getting email replies from Pole at the moment as apposed to Pivot answering within minutes usually, so we'll see how that pans out...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Still got the blade, the geometron is just for big days and alpine uplift days as it's overkill for general trail riding.
    The switchblade is pretty much perfect for my general day to day riding and like you I think the machine would be overkill for that but it's a really interesting contraption. If there was a 140mm version Id consider trying one to replace the blade. Slacking out the switchblade has just made it better and I'd love to try an XL to see if I still found it as poppy but with more speed potential????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigglet13 View Post
    Still got the blade, the geometron is just for big days and alpine uplift days as it's overkill for general trail riding.
    The switchblade is pretty much perfect for my general day to day riding and like you I think the machine would be overkill for that but it's a really interesting contraption. If there was a 140mm version Id consider trying one to replace the blade. Slacking out the switchblade has just made it better and I'd love to try an XL to see if I still found it as poppy but with more speed potential????
    I'm considering upping the fork on my Blade to 160mm and also running the 17mm cup, for the simple reason being - pedal strikes! I'm worried that I'll lose something in the climbs though...

I wonder if Upgrade have an XL in?

I love the look and idea of the Machine, you could machine me anything and I'd want it! I like the idea of looking for alternatives to carbon too, there was nothing wrong with alloy bikes before plastic was the in thing! Ha! I also reckon a 140mm travel one would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Well Iím going to give the Machine a try I reckon, Iíve been reading up on these long bikes and theyíre making a lot of sense to me. Anyone else pulled the trigger on one?

Fix foot pain, gain skills you forgot you had and have more fun whilst doing it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    subscribe
    canít wait to see ride reports

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey there Just J, I pulled the trigger on a frameset and looking forward to building it up.

It's definitely gonna be interesting making a leap to a bike so different from what I've currently got, but hey - it can be neat to slide off of the incremental change process

The machine ticks a lot of boxes for me, and got me super curious: the gorgeous machining, raw metal finish, multiple bottle mounts, simpler cable routing, 29" wheels, big travel, and most of all - super progressive geometry.

Pos rep makes me sad
    I'm still waiting for the how-it's-made video they promised. I am curious why the head tube is so bulky. With their carbon prototype, they had some sort of geo changing insert.
    Tell me when I'm wrong. Neg rep me. I will appreciate it, even if you don't explain why I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubmah View Post
    Hey there Just J, I pulled the trigger on a frameset and looking forward to building it up.

It's definitely gonna be interesting making a leap to a bike so different from what I've currently got, but hey - it can be neat to slide off of the incremental change process

The machine ticks a lot of boxes for me, and got me super curious: the gorgeous machining, raw metal finish, multiple bottle mounts, simpler cable routing, 29" wheels, big travel, and most of all - super progressive geometry.
    Hey jaydubmah!

Welcome to the fold!

This bike is totally different to anything I've owned in the past too, it's the longest travel but also the geometry is going to feel very different.

Looking forward to seeing what the bike will do...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8zen View Post
    I'm still waiting for the how-it's-made video they promised. I am curious why the head tube is so bulky. With their carbon prototype, they had some sort of geo changing insert.
    Also looking forward to seeing this, not bothered about the geometry change thing though, I like simplicity and not having to change too much too often nowadays...

mtbr member
    A little more info released today on Pole's YouTube account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbp_QxUaTEY

Pos rep makes me sad
    5.3 kg prototype with headset and coil shock. Ouch. Under 4 is about par for a long travel bike with a coil shock. That must've taken them back to the computer for optimizations for a while. xD

Their 3 kg frame advertised production weight w/o hardware is on par with carbon. Closer to a Nomad's weight (3.3 kg with air) than a Transition (reportedly really heavy).

mtbr member
    5.3 kg prototype with headset and coil shock. Ouch. Under 4 is about par for a long travel bike with a coil shock. That must've taken them back to the computer for optimizations for a while. xD

Their 3 kg frame advertised production weight w/o hardware is on par with carbon. Closer to a Nomad's weight (3.3 kg with air) than a Transition (reportedly really heavy).
    It is just that though, a prototype. I like their honest approach with their bikes, Iím looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Pos rep makes me sad
    Pole Machine-evolink_140_grey_polestore-1.jpgPole Machine-pole-machine_white_page-1280x855.jpg

Had to compare the Evolink to the Machine to understand why some of their experience in terms of predicting stresses didn't carry over. They mention that going from 7005-T6 to 7075-T6 increased hardness, among other properties, complicates things.

Looked up the properties of each to compare. Learned some new things. Honestly thought 6061-T6 had better fatigue life than 7000 series Al, but one site seems to say otherwise, and that 7075 improves upon it all (except ductility). Thought 7000 series would be brittle and prone to crack, more likely to fail catastrophically, but people once said the same thing about carbon. Guess it's all about the use and execution of the material and product. They've successfully used it in the Evolink, at least 7005-T6. Doesn't seem wildly different in 7075-T6 form.

Noticed how the model name is punny in more ways now. xD
    Tell me when I'm wrong. Neg rep me. I will appreciate it, even if you don't explain why I'm wrong.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    A little more info released today on Pole's YouTube account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbp_QxUaTEY
    Thanks for posting the vid, J. I'm a bit chagrined to admit that until seeing it, I didn't understand that the frame includes a BB-concentric suspension linkage bearing. Everything makes sense now.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Thanks for posting the vid, J. I'm a bit chagrined to admit that until seeing it, I didn't understand that the frame includes a BB-concentric suspension linkage bearing. Everything makes sense now.
    =sParty
    No problem sParty, looks good doesn't it? The ability to run 3" tyres on a bike like this that promises to pedal well has me hooked!

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evolink_140_grey_polestore-1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	1175871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POLE-machine_white_page-1280x855.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	1175870

Had to compare the Evolink to the Machine to understand why some of their experience in terms of predicting stresses didn't carry over. They mention that going from 7005-T6 to 7075-T6 increased hardness, among other properties, complicates things.

Looked up the properties of each to compare. Learned some new things. Honestly thought 6061-T6 had better fatigue life than 7000 series Al, but one site seems to say otherwise, and that 7075 improves upon it all (except ductility). Thought 7000 series would be brittle and prone to crack, more likely to fail catastrophically, but people once said the same thing about carbon. Guess it's all about the use and execution of the material and product. They've successfully used it in the Evolink, at least 7005-T6. Doesn't seem wildly different in 7075-T6 form.

Noticed how the model name is punny in more ways now. xD
    Very interesting indeed, I'm also looking forward to more technical information coming through, so I can really geek out on that stuff.

mtbr member
    I admittedly know very little when it comes to fs bikes, but that Machine is beautiful.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    No problem sParty, looks good doesn't it? The ability to run 3" tyres on a bike like this that promises to pedal well has me hooked!
    Absolutely. Asymmetrical frames like this and the Rallon may portend additional lopsided advances in frame design. We can hope.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Take a look at this for a lot more information on the choice of alloy...

https://nsmb.com/articles/behind-pol...e-the-machine/

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    hey everyone just trying to decide on which bike to pull the trigger on the 140 or the 158. I would prefer the 158 travel but I am concerned about such a high stack height it is 13mm higher than the 140 which is already way higher than anything else out there. Any opinions?