mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes in size medium frame

Hi There, I just decided on getting a Tallboy LT after doing some research only to find out that they don't make frame size small and I'm 5'6". I live in El Salvador so I have to order it since the dealer doesn't have any Santa Cruz Bikes here in Stock. Could someone please help me out. I checked the sizing charts and the medium size ranges for 5'5" to 5'10". Can someone who owns one tell me if the medium frame might do it for me. I wont be able to return it so it's a difficult decision. It would be the first tallboy LT they import to my country. I've been riding on a Specialized 29er small frame.

Thanks alot for your help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What top tube length is you're stumpy? Compare the two that might help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn217 View Post
    What top tube length is you're stumpy? Compare the two that might help.
    The small I'm riding right now has a 15.5" tube length and the Tallboy LT medium is 17.7". The big problem I have here is there are no bikes for me to see or try. So I'll have to choose one Santa Cruz based upon specs. There are other brands like Scott and Giant that have stocks so i'll see if I can figure out witch frame is the most similar and try a medium on those brands.
    I appreciate your help

mtbr member
    I don't know it it helps or not but I feel Santa Cruz runs a bit on the small side so you may be in luck
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pedroperezreyes View Post
    The small I'm riding right now has a 15.5" tube length and the Tallboy LT medium is 17.7". The big problem I have here is there are no bikes for me to see or try. So I'll have to choose one Santa Cruz based upon specs. There are other brands like Scott and Giant that have stocks so i'll see if I can figure out witch frame is the most similar and try a medium on those brands.
    I appreciate your help
    Top tube is what you want to look at, not seat tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    I don't know it it helps or not but I feel Santa Cruz runs a bit on the small side so you may be in luck
    thanks man...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Top tube is what you want to look at, not seat tube.
    Got it.... thanks .... so the top tube on the specialized is 22.6" (574mm) and the SC tallboy LT is 23.1" (586.4mm) that would be 12.4 mm longer... 1.24 cm.... half an inch.. that doesnt seem too much of a difference to me. Can I use a shorter stem to compensate the difference?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedroperezreyes View Post
    Got it.... thanks .... so the top tube on the specialized is 22.6" (574mm) and the SC tallboy LT is 23.1" (586.4mm) that would be 12.4 mm longer... 1.24 cm.... half an inch.. that doesnt seem too much of a difference to me. Can I use a shorter stem to compensate the difference?
    Sorta...your steering will be affected but it would help. You might also look into a sweep bar to help with reach.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

Just A Mountain Biker.

Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes in size medium frame

Just make sure it's a 29"ER specific stem and you should be ok. Just ask your LBS, they will be able to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    a 29er specific stem ehh??? Anyways I am about the same height and got a Santa Cruz Nickel and set it up as a 650b and love it. I find that the large wheels and short wheel base of a 29er at our height proves a little difficult to handle in tight area's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Too short for a 29er, a hoax...

Go for it. I've had my Medium Tallboy LTc for close to a year now. I'm 5'5", 150lbs.

I use to have a small Nomad but the medium LTc is fine. I rode 50mm stem and Carbon Havoc bars (750mm). Just put a 35mm Havoc stem. Only a couple ride but I like it even better now. easier to manual...

Do yourself a favor though and get a dropper post. I have the Specialized and it's great.

It's all in the setup. Narrow bars make a 29er twitchy; long stem too.

Fine tune it and you'll be rewarded with a very capable steed...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes in size medium frame-2013-03-27-hurricane-rim.jpg  

Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes in size medium frame-2013-03-28-broken-mesa-rim-3.jpg  

Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes in size medium frame-2013-03-30-gooseberry-mesa-point.jpg  

MTB B'dos
    I say go for the new Bronson 650B bike from SC Unlike a lot of the 29er zealots, I DO NOT believe 29ers are for everyone, just like clydes shouldn't ride weight weenie designed XC bikes.If you don't know about the Bronson do yourself some research and I think you'll come to the same conclusion.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    Sorta...your steering will be affected but it would help. You might also look into a sweep bar to help with reach.
    thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I say go for the new Bronson 650B bike from SC Unlike a lot of the 29er zealots, I DO NOT believe 29ers are for everyone, just like clydes shouldn't ride weight weenie designed XC bikes.If you don't know about the Bronson do yourself some research and I think you'll come to the same conclusion.
    Thanks man... the bronson was my other option after some research buy the dealer in my country can bring it in no less than 8 months with some luck.. thats too much time ... for the tallboy he can have it here in one month...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm a little under 5'6 and got to demo a Medium Tallboy a while back. I was also concerned about a medium being a bit big but the fit was great. Yeah, top tube length is what you need to go by. You can adjust by getting a proper stem length, maybe a little shorter. Even the stand over height was adequate for me with the medium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Man View Post
    Go for it. I've had my Medium Tallboy LTc for close to a year now. I'm 5'5", 150lbs.

I use to have a small Nomad but the medium LTc is fine. I rode 50mm stem and Carbon Havoc bars (750mm). Just put a 35mm Havoc stem. Only a couple ride but I like it even better now. easier to manual...

Do yourself a favor though and get a dropper post. I have the Specialized and it's great.

It's all in the setup. Narrow bars make a 29er twitchy; long stem too.

Fine tune it and you'll be rewarded with a very capable steed...
    Thanks alot man ... I was hooping to get I reply like this one....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There's a funny sense that 29er can't be for short people and only big guys should be on them. And also that they should ride like 26er. They can't and never will. That's why you buy a 26er.

But my Tallboy LTc is every bit, even more than my old Nomad. Riding the same terrain and all. Subtleties in the setup. Fat rockers skis vs non-rockers. Same fun, different feel.

If the Bronson had come out last year and the Tallboy LTc now, maybe I would have been a proud owner of a Bronson. You would love the Bronson; my lbs has 2 in stock (M). Great looking bike!

But I am still jazzed up about my LTc and the way I have it set-up.

Whatever gives you a thrill and a huge smile is the bike.

Unfortunately, try before you buy for SC is nearly impossible, around here anyway.

If you have any bit of concerns, even after all the rave review you can find on the Tallboy LTc, get the Bronson. It's my 4th Santa Cruz and I wouldn't change that.

Good luck ( by the way, the neon yellow of the Bronson is stellar in real life... The Black is kinda like the black LTc); either way, you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member

Re: Planning on getting a Tallboy LT but I'm 5'6" and it only comes in edium frame

Well, in a 29er forum you are going to get a bit biased answers... How I mentionened in your other thread TBLT might be a bit too high for you. My regular TB feels nice with a tiny spacer and an inverted stem. I am 5'9" on a medium. I would like to go even lower, but I don't like the shifters hitting the top tube...
    After I did demo a TBLT I realized I couldn't get the cockpit low enough for my liking. The bike just felt too big.
    Everybody mentions the TT length, but how about the Standover? Make sure you have enough space there, I
    wish my TB was a bit lower.
    It's a shame you can't get a Bronson sooner. It really seems like a perfect candidate for you. How about 650b TRc?
    I don't believe 29ers are for everybody, you might fit, but I thing you would feel better on a 650b bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Jazzanova, how long is your stem on your TB? Keep in mind that you have better standover on the Tallboy LTc than the Tallboy due to the shock mount. My medium Tallboy LTc has better standover than my old small Nomad.

No problems with the shifters hitting the TT. As well, the setup is a personal preference because definately, at 5'5", my medium LTc is not too big. But I have it setup more for AM with a 35mm stem (my seat height at full extension is level with my stem... short little legs)

The Bronson would be a great bike but I wouldn't trade my LTc for a Bronson with the same setup. I am having too much fun.

However, if you like your position more xc, I can see why a lot of short people think 29er are too big.

I was a die hard 26er. Never tried a 29er before I bought my Tallboy LTc, not even my bike. Bought it because I thought SC had done their homework. Really not biased on 29er, just my LTc. Tried other 29er after I rode mine. Mine is just plain fun.

If you can wait Pedro, get the Bronson since you still have doubt on the Tallboy.

There's a reason why so many people ride different bikes and setup. Personal preference and no real answer on the winner.

My friends think my bars are too wide and the wheels too big, yet can't keep up with the smile and the riding so obviously it works for ME...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Man View Post
    There's a funny sense that 29er can't be for short people and only big guys should be on them. And also that they should ride like 26er. They can't and never will. That's why you buy a 26er.

But my Tallboy LTc is every bit, even more than my old Nomad. Riding the same terrain and all. Subtleties in the setup. Fat rockers skis vs non-rockers. Same fun, different feel.

If the Bronson had come out last year and the Tallboy LTc now, maybe I would have been a proud owner of a Bronson. You would love the Bronson; my lbs has 2 in stock (M). Great looking bike!

But I am still jazzed up about my LTc and the way I have it set-up.

Whatever gives you a thrill and a huge smile is the bike.

Unfortunately, try before you buy for SC is nearly impossible, around here anyway.

If you have any bit of concerns, even after all the rave review you can find on the Tallboy LTc, get the Bronson. It's my 4th Santa Cruz and I wouldn't change that.

Good luck ( by the way, the neon yellow of the Bronson is stellar in real life... The Black is kinda like the black LTc); either way, you won't be disappointed.
    Thanks, I appreciate your help!!!! I'm going to order the tallboy LT aluminum in gun black, because the price on the carbon is out of my pocket range after the shipping and import costs.
    The bronson only comes in medium also.... If you ever ride one let me know how it feels ... who knows that might be my next move when they are more available in my country and dont have to wait a year to get one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks everyone .... your comments have been very helpful...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No problem, glad I could help. If the price difference is not much, go for carbon. In the long run, it'll pay off.

Enjoy the bike when you get it and spend some time dialing the cockpit. A shredding machine once dialed in. Look at the Bionicon chain guide too. Inexpensive, light and very effective...

Rip it up...

mtbr member
    my wife is 5'4" and loves her TB size M. i am 5'11" with shoes and on a size L TB LTc. best bike i have ever ridden.