mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Pivot Mach 429SL Bent Seatpost Issue

I have a new Pivot Mach 429SL (carbon) in size large with the XT build that I got in early February. The bike has exceeded all my expectations in the limited rides I have had with it and I highly recommend it. HOWEVER, I have already bent two of the stock Phoenix Team Alloy seatposts after only 6 rides. After my first two rides I noticed the seatpost was bent backwards some. Thinking I was seeing things, I rode it a third time and it bent even more. I brought the bike and post into the shop where they and Pivot quickly warrantied the post at no cost to me. I got the new post and after two rides the same thing has happened. Bent backwards pretty noticeably. So I am taking it back to the shop today for another warranty.

So what is going on? I am 6'2" and 185 lbs. I ride the seatpost at the middle of its range of allowed extension (line marker 4 out of 10). No wrecks. I barely tighten the collar enough to keep it from slipping. I have been riding for 15 years and have never bent a seatpost. I stand up in all the rocky/bumpy sections. No jumping or freeriding, just standard XC riding/enduro riding in the beautiful Virginia mountains. Anyone else having this issue?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sounds like a different post in your future with two failures.
    The bike I demoed had a dropper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Agreed. Maybe I can pay for the difference between the carbon and aluminum version when I do this warranty. It is a little frustrating to have to deal with this all though right after buying a $5K bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thomson
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    While I appreciate your frustration, it is just a seat post. Should it bend? No. Obviously there's an issue, though.

If you don't want to run a dropper, see if the shop will credit you for the stock post and buy a Thomson.

Formerly of Kent
    Greg, were you at Pandapas Pond yesterday?

Saw a guy on a Pivot 429SL there, and there ain't too many of them in this neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Nope, Charlottesville area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Like some others said, get a Thomson, end of problem.

cowbell
    I'd say it's time for a different post, for sure. I've become a big fan of carbon posts, especially if weight is "an issue" - which I'm sure it is with the 429SL - probably why the post is bending. You can probably get a good carbon post for the same price or less than a Thomson. If you're in the 'ville and using the shop I think you are, I wouldn't worry about it too much, they'll for sure take care of you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yep, shop took care of me and gave me a nice credit towards a Thomson! I think that should resolve the issue

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I just got the exact bike as you -- 429sl, but mine is a large. It's first ride was an easy, short ride with the family and my seat post bent as well. Same seat post height it of 4. I'm 180lbs.

I was barely moving behind my family and felt the seat go back -- thought it was the seat moving but nope, seat post is made out of swiss cheese. Trying to nicely explain to my wife that the new uber bike is bending was interesting.

Pivot Mach 429SL Bent Seatpost Issue-fullsizerender.jpg

DFMBA.org
    Easton EC70. Carbon on carbon baby.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.