mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Pivot Mach 429 Carbon vs Specialized S-Works Epic

Looking for a 29" FS. I've narrowed it down to the Pivot or S-Works. I like the S-Works because it's lighter andI think it will be better for XC racing. I like the Pivot because I think it will be a better trail bike and like the small brand factor. Would love to hear from people who have experience with either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've ridden and raced the Epic extensively, and would agree with your impressions.

Pure xc racer? Epic.

Endurance racer and trail bike? Pivot.

And honestly, I would hesitate to buy almost anybody's first year carbon version of a bike, though Pivot appears to be on the right track, not having taken stupid amounts of weight off the frame, in comparison to the aluminum version.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post

Endurance racer and trail bike? Pivot.
    Agreed (I own one)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by peptillelaBut View Post
    vesteabercrombie9 webnode fr/#822979]abercrombie and fitch abercrombiecanada webnode fr/#461006]abercrombie france abercrombiesoldes webnode fr/#433765]abercrombie pas cher Real nice design and style and wonderful content , nothing else we require : D Steelers president Artwork Rooney II issued a press release Friday expressing the organization's "thoughts and prayers are with Kirby and his whole household "Ratnayake, forty seven, earlier briefly held the publish of assistant coach in 2007 Really the blogging is spreading its wings quickly Your write up is a great example of it
    doudoune-abercrombie webnode fr/#138177]abercrombie & fitch abercrombiesuisse webnode fr/#157085]abercrombie france vesteabercrombie9 webnode fr/#550045]veste abercrombie Hello very cool web site!! Man Excellent Superb Another spoof is around the horizon, this time centering around the world of monster flicks by director Bo Zenga (Scary Movie producer) Range reports that production for Stan Helsing will be run by Scott Steindorf's Stone Village Photos and it's expected to start in April As soon as I found this internet site I went on reddit to share some of the love with them Wow! This can be one particular of the most helpful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject
    abercrombiesuisse webnode fr/#786858]abercrombie Suisse vesteabercrombie9 webnode fr/#570550]abercrombie and fitch abercrombiesoldes webnode fr/#786402]abercrombie soldes Im happy that you just shared this useful info with us You could certainly see your skills in the paintings you write You really make it seem really easy together with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually something that I feel I might by no means understand It seems too complicated and extremely wide for me Its like men and women don't seem to be interested unless it is something to do with Woman gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding Always deal with it up!
    I don't mean to unduly challenge your opinion on woman gaga but can you elaborate on the Pivot's handling vs say a Tallboy? thanks in advance

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Art.C View Post
    I don't mean to unduly challenge your opinion on woman gaga but can you elaborate on the Pivot's handling vs say a Tallboy? thanks in advance
    I think this will amount to being a rhetorical question if you expect an answer :P

I also agree with the OP's assessment. I think you have to calculate how many races you're going to do a year, and if you plan on being competitive in the points race. If the focus is going to be a race bike..you might as well go with a HT. Its going to be faster and lighter.

If its going to be a part time race bike and your general trail riding bike...of the two, I'd side with the Pivot, but I wouldn't dismiss the tallboy or the Divinchi Atlas 29 Carbon either. At least explore all your options.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I demoed the new 429 carbon and own a 2010 429. The 429 carbon is closer to the handling of 650B. Short chainstays and super stiff frame make for a very nimble and flickable ride. If you are a good technical bike handler you will love this bike. Check out the reviews on Pivots website. I agree with the other responses: the Epic is pure XC. For trail ridding I would also check out the Tallboy carbon and the Ibis Ripley. I still waiting to demo a Ripley. I think it will be the 29er of choice for 2013. All of these bikes can be built up under 25 lbs. I saw a medium Tallboy C at my local shop which weighed 22 lbs with carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was choosing between the Trek SuperFly 100 SL and the Niner Jet 9 RDO. One is a race bike and one is a race/ trail bike. I went with the Niner. I'm glad I did every time I ride it. If you are only racing get the Epic but I would go with the Pivot.