Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pivot Les

RIDE TO LIVE

Pivot Les

Just finished building it up. Single speed for now. Need to mod the rear hub to run gears with a 142mm thru axle. 19 1/2 lbs on my crappy scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les-pivot.jpg  

Pivot Les-pivot1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks real nice...

More info and pics please...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I wonder how that thing would feel with a lefty on her. Definitely going to get me one of those once i can get a hand on one.

RIDE TO LIVE
    Most of the build kit was from my Superfly SS. The only new item is a Syntace P6 carbon seatpost which is a work or art. Fox RLC 100mm just returned from Push. Formula R1 brakes, XTR M970 crank with XT pedals, DT Swiss 240's laced to Stans Arch EX rims, with a Nobby Nic 2.35 in front and NN 2.25 in the back. DT QR 9mm thru axle in front and a DT QR 10mm thru axle out back. Race face Next carbon low rise bars and 90mm reverse rise stem for starters. I may go with a 80mm stem soon as the TT is .4" longer than my Superfly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les-pivot4.jpg  

Pivot Les-pivot5.jpg  

Pivot Les-pivot6.jpg  

Pivot Les-pivot7.jpg  

RIDE TO LIVE
    A couple more shots. Lots of room for a 2.35 Nobby Nic with the sliders slammed forward
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pivot Les-pivot-8.jpg  

RIDE TO LIVE

1st ride impression

Its real cold and snowy right now in Mass so I decided to give my knees a break and set the bike up geared last night. It weighs out at 21.5 lbs with my winter rims and tires and 1x9 setup. Having been on a Superfly SS for the past 3 years, I was excited when I first read about the Les because it's geometry matches the Superfly with the notable difference of shorter chainstays and a longer toptube. Let me start by saying that Pivot has absolutely nailed the geometry on the Les. The bike feels more trail bike up front and more race bike out back. Acceleration is impressive, it feels like the bike gets up to speed a bit quicker than my 'fly. Whats interesting is even though the wheelbase is shorter, it rails turns with more authority. Ride quality is very refined, stiff in the BB and headube area but the rear chainstays are tuned to level the chatter in the trail. You stay more connected to the trail on the Les, my 'fly was stiff but a bit harsher out back. BTW, the Syntace P6 Hiflex post is a work of art and helps dampen the ride to a very comfortable level for a hardtail. Its only one ride but it took me a couple of miles to find my groove on this bike and by the 10 mile mark it felt just like home, I believe this is a true sign of a dialed bike. Very little was needed to tweak the cockpit in. I can't wait for the weather to improve so i can turn it loose as a SS.

mtbr member
    Awesome bike, love the Pivot brand. Is that a size small frame? If you dont mind me asking, how tall are you bro?

Not Bad
    That looks good! Hope you enjoy it

RIDE TO LIVE
    Small frame. 5'6" tall. The Pivot site lists the small for people up to 5'9".

Cheesiest
    Killer looking bike! I like the tensioners.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    Nice looking bike man. How do you like the R1s, I've heard people had warping and rubbing problems in the past?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

A super bike there

Great bike there Liv2ryd. I've been eyeing the LES off as well, based on what I see as great geo numbers. I run a Highball C in SS mode, and this rips fantastically, but I like the Les even better, slightly slacker and slightly short chainstay is just the tweak I think I need to get more aggressive on the trail.

Can you tell me, running the SS mode and the tensioners on the LES, does this increase the chainstay length from what is stated for the normal geared geo at all? Do you know what the SS CS might be?

I recently updated my seat post to the P6 as well, and I agree with you it is a great seat post. Having run a different version before hand and changing to the P6 I can definitely feel an improvement in the ride. Also, I reckon that in a small way it helps me put more power to the ground. I can stay seated longer and push harder on the pedals over uneven terrain, it definitely lets me put more power down. The comfort is a bonus, but the performance was what I was after and the P6 gives a small but perceptible improvement imo. It's still a hardtail mind you, so it won't replace suspension at all, good for ride quality.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was looking at this for a new XC weapon yet I fell for the Trek Superfly Elite SL instead, yet I've had my order on the Superfly for over 4 months and now thinking the Les is a good idea again does anyone know the frame weight?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Pivot Les

1200g for a medium according to BikeRadar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by jc280 View Post
    1200g for a medium according to BikeRadar.
    So thats 1,200 grams for the Pivot Les VS 896 grams for the Superfly SL , I know this isn't weight weenies but 300 grams is quite a lot...

RIDE TO LIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by ridonkulus View Post
    Nice looking bike man. How do you like the R1s, I've heard people had warping and rubbing problems in the past?
    I have been running the same R1's for 4 seasons and I couldn't be happier with them. Mine have been thru 4 seasons of hardcore New England racing and riding conditions. They have never given me any trouble with rubbing unless the rotor got bent. These brakes get a 9 out of 10 in my opinion. Much better than the Avids I have used in the past.

RIDE TO LIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    I like the Les even better, slightly slacker and slightly short chainstay is just the tweak I think I need to get more aggressive on the trail.

Can you tell me, running the SS mode and the tensioners on the LES, does this increase the chainstay length from what is stated for the normal geared geo at all? Do you know what the SS CS might be?
    I went with the Les for the same reason, I have a motocross background and I wanted a bike that could rip the turns. To me, the Les represents the next generation of 29er hardtail (this is my 5th HT 29er). If I was designing a HT, I would have used virtually the same numbers in my design. I'm surprised the Les isn't being shown more love, its a killer ride.

I spoke with Pivot a bunch of times about the Les and asked them about where they get the CS length from. Pivot said the center position of SS dropouts places the CS length very close to the geared position of 17.1" so you can tighten it up a bit as the axle is moved towards the BB. I'm not sure exactly how much but my guess is maybe a 1/2 inch"?

RIDE TO LIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Benread View Post
    So thats 1,200 grams for the Pivot Les VS 896 grams for the Superfly SL , I know this isn't weight weenies but 300 grams is quite a lot...
    You might want to check to make sure both are being compared with the exact same specs. For example, are both weights listed w/o BB and headset bearings, seatpost collar or any other bits? My Les is a 120 grams lighter than my Superfly SS with the BB, HS, Seatpost collar and rear dropouts.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LIV2RYD View Post
    You might want to check to make sure both are being compared with the exact same specs. For example, are both weights listed w/o BB and headset bearings, seatpost collar or any other bits? My Les is a 120 grams lighter than my Superfly SS with the BB, HS, Seatpost collar and rear dropouts.
    That SuperFly weight is for a medium also. The SuperFly is on the crazy light side of frames. I for one believe that they are having problems with that frame and that is why no paying customers have thrown a leg over one. I would take the 1200g Pivot over the unreliable 896g Trek any day. This coming from a Trek guy. My 2 warrantied SuperFly 100 frames could have something to do with that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Oops, I feared you might say something like that. Now that hasn’t helped my cause at all, I think you are tormenting me now. I’m about to start a stint of riding my Highball now, you know that I will be judging it even more harshly at every corner, saying bias things like “it needs to be a touch slacker” – like you do when the halo of new bikes or frames or upgrades start to descend onto your riding head.

Thanks for the confirmation and it comes with some authority from a multiple 29er HT owner, really good to hear your thoughtful opinion.

I re read your 1st ride impressions, can I ask you to shine some more love on the Les and elaborate in glowing words what riding attributes shine out to you when you are hitting corners, capability, confidence? The question is probably more torture that fact finding for me.

My first hardtail was a SC Chameleon, so it was low and slack and super fun to rip around turns. My Highball is awesome and very impressive, surprisingly so, but I am thinking a little more confidence ‘in corner’ will invite some more smile induce lunacy for me. (perhaps it’s merely a move from XC steering to ripping steering)

Thanks for the info re the CS length in SS mode. So are you saying that you can tighten it right down/back that you can effectively get less than 17.1” or is it the case that 17.1” is the best possible or shortest position before chain slackening makes you back it out a tad?

As for weight, I reckon 1200grams if very reasonable and is pretty light IMO. The Highball C is the same weight as the Les. Whenever I approach my bike and pick it up, to turn around and ride off, I get a buzz of excitement at how light it is and more importantly, I know that it transfers power so immediately that I can’t wait to try and smash the pedals for the thrill. Even when you are wrecked, it keeps on enticing you. Yes, under 1kg is super light and they are a bag of fun too. You can be less planted on the super light bikes in some situations I believe, so the weight advantage starts to be cancelled as your core strength gets tapped and when the trail is moderately bumpy, I find they don’t power down as well either. This is why I think Liv2ryd has had a speed improvement, it’s more planted and more sustainable. Sure the Fly does fly and you feel fast and if you are an XC racer, I guess you can stay fast. For me, it’s about sustained fun with less than a XC racers lungs and legs on tap. In the end frame choice comes down to your trails, usage and your riding, I wouldn’t recommend choosing on weight alone.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got to lay my eyes on an Orange Pivot Les today. It is a thing of beauty. I hope my BH Ultimate 29er looks as good as the Pivot did.

RIDE TO LIVE
    For reference, I am a Cat 1 racer/rider with many years of MX and MC Trials experience. I started riding 29ers in 05 with a Gen 1 GF Rig. In 06 I raced a Salsa Dos Niner, in 08 a Gen 2 GF Rig and in 10 a GF Superfly SS. The Superfly has been a reliable racer/rider for 3 years and I have really enjoyed the bike. I learned a lot from these bikes and have had my eye out for my next HT for a while. One requirement is SS capability, this trims the field down dramatically. The next was the geometry, I actually like the superfly geo alot with the exception of the longish wheelbase/chainstay length. In have 50 miles on the Pivot so far, two rides in 2" of snow and 10-20 degrees temps and another ride yesterday in 60 degree peanut butter mud. Its been a wild week for weather, not ideal conditions to test a bike. I would prefer to reserve my comments until I can really get some time on the bike in better conditions. Also, I have been riding SS exclusively for 2 years and right now its setup geared because of the crazy conditions. I hope to go back to SS soon now that the snow is gone (I ride in snow up to 6" deep with 2.35 tires and low pressure, geared) unless we get hit with another storm. Once I get some time on the open trails with my SS setup, I will post some more impressions. I am also looking to replace the Fox fork with a SID WC XX w/remote lockout and 15mm axle soon. I am hoping to find one with the 51mm offset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Bummer on the weather, I was focused on the conversation and totally over looked your weather issues. I don't get snow here, so sorry, I'm a little ignorant of your conditions.

Hope you get a drier ride soon.

Cheers

fav
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Been a while since anyone posted here. Any updates on how the Les performs? Have you had a chance to run it as a ss yet?
    Interested in building up a ss as a race bike and really like the looks of the LES.
    cheers
    fav

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    BUMP

any further ride reports? SS specific info would be great, i'm considering pulling the trigger on one soon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast