mtbr member

Pivot 429T or Yeti SB4.5 or Niner Jet 9 RDO

After a fair amount of internal deliberating I have narrowed my choice to these framesets* (but somewhat open to suggestions if I'm missing something analogous out there...). They all seem to have what I want and need travel and very close geo wise, +/- a centimeter here or there. I'm sticking to solid rear triangles just cuz. No need for over 130-140/11x-120 for where and how I ride, less than seems to feel too racey (like my old bike). Not racing anymore (obviously), but might get the bug now and again just for giggles if its a nicely technical course and I'm feeling froggy. Frame will be built-up definitely on the light end of things- and aiming for sub 24# for sure.

Between these three, lets throw out considerations of BB type ( I don't care), ICSG or not( neat place to mount a bash though), company's financial stability (hoping for no warranty claims...), 27.5 capability (not interested), and price difference. I do place a huge premium on rear end suppleness and seated traction, especially when climbing rocky/roots steeps. I'm too old to be a big huckster- gave that up when I gave up the KTMs.

I'm very familiar with a 5 year old Jet 9 RDO CVA (not bad), but no saddle time the current version. I fell in love with the Pivot T's DW butt this weekend , and have yet to (and probably won't get a chance to ) flip the Yeti's Infinity switch.

All opinions and experience appreciated!
    Last edited by Noclutch; 03-11-2018 at 05:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Get the one you think is prettiest.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Iíve owned two of the three as a secondary trail bike in Phoenix. Iíd buy the Pivot again. VERY capable trail bike. I could not get rid of the Yeti fast enough. Beautiful bike, but the suspension was off putting for me and the bike felt spindly and flexy in the rear (Iím 180 before gear).
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Personally, I like the 429T. I find Niner's recent financial machinations off-putting. Not a fan of Switch Infinity from the design standpoint, though the kinematics are fine.
    Do the math.

Norūwegr
    https://www.backcountry.com/ibis-rip...KU=IBS003M&MER

That should tick all your boxes and is on closeout for the model year. A steal if you fit M or XL.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Iíve owned two of the three as a secondary trail bike in Phoenix. Iíd buy the Pivot again. VERY capable trail bike. I could not get rid of the Yeti fast enough. Beautiful bike, but the suspension was off putting for me and the bike felt spindly and flexy in the rear (Iím 180 before gear).
    Thanks Blatant. Spindly and flexy? Surprised considering the full box symmetrical/design of the rear triangle. Must come from the pivots and infinity?

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!
    Last edited by Noclutch; 03-11-2018 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post

That should tick all your boxes and is on closeout for the model year. A steal if you fit M or XL.
    I thought that too until yesterday! Had the opportunity to test a my size medium V3 Ripley on my local trails at a demo event, but left dissatisfied with the Ripley uphill bump compliance relative to the 429T. Maybe it was a set up thing? Sag was set fwiw. The 2.6 tires bugged me but didnít help any either.

The best analogy describing the Pivot ascending is it was almost like pedaling up a ramp instead of a flight of stairs! Exaggeration, but you get the drift. I rode the same trails over and over on five different bikes for apples comparisons, and intentionally took the ďstupid lineĒ just to make it more obvious how the bikes would behave. 🤣

But I still donít know how a 4.5 or Jet 9 would compare, though I can probably guess on the Niner ( and yea, their situation is a concern but ..., just as the Yeti surcharge annoys me...). I did eliminate 429sl, Tallboy CC and Fuel EX 9.9 as well.

Last edited by Noclutch; 03-11-2018 at 05:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My new Jet9 in not supple in the rear end. But climbs great. I too considered all the same bikes you are. And I went with the one that I thought looked the coolest. I wanted matte black Plus at the time I was a Niner fan boy.

But if I had to do it again today I wouldnít go Niner. Given their current finicial situation and recent warranty issues. They may take a turn for the better with new owenership. But itís a gamble.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    My new Jet9 in not supple in the rear end. But climbs great. I too considered all the same bikes you are. And I went with the one that I thought looked the coolest. I wanted matte black Plus at the time I was a Niner fan boy.

But if I had to do it again today I wouldnít go Niner. Given their current finicial situation and recent warranty issues. They may take a turn for the better with new owenership. But itís a gamble.
    . Thanks for the insight.

mtbr member
    Out of those three I only rode the Pivot 429T..its a great bike, then I tested my current bike Spot Mayhem and knew it was the bike for me. If you get a chance take a look at one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Intense Sniper Trail fits in your test group.
    https://intensecycles.com/collection...rail-pro-build
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...e-xc-2018.html
    Intense has built the XC race bike many are clamoring for (at least online)
    Longer front with slack ht> and slightly steeper seat tube and shorter chainstays. May help with fit. Reach on a L 429T is 423. Sniper is 445 for a M. Framesets in July.

mtbr member
    Thanks eb 1888. Yes both the Sniper and Primer have popped onto my radar

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post

Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Both bikes are 3 years old and due for a refresh, and it looks like both are getting blowout sales. Maybe we'll see something before Sea Otter?

When I demo'd a 429T, I loved everything but the fit (well, and the under-BB cable routing). At a minimum I'd want them both to switch from seattube-based sizing to reach-based sizing like the newer bikes in Ibis' and Pivot's lineups, and just steepen the STA appropriately to keep the ETT in the right ballpark per size.

Geometry like a Sniper or perhaps Tallboy is the direction I want to go for an efficient marathon/trail bike in the 110-120mm range, but I'd much rather have a dw-link bike. Particularly a Pivot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My first thought was to look at a Ripley LS with smaller tires. From my experience the stair feeling could be due to either suspension setup or bigger tires. Had the same issue on mine bigger tires with thinner sides walls.

Pivot 429 Trail, is great bike with a good company with great customer service. If the bike fits and you like it I would get it. Very efficient, very capable bike.

As for the other contenders best to worst:
    Ripley LS: youíve already tried it. Best customer support, great bike. Cons, you rode it and you donít like it. No go.
    Niner Jet 9: Pivot has less uncertainty about the company moving forward and more important, Pivot is a much better bike. No go
    Yeti SB4.5: Efficient uphill. Very capable. I personally like it more than the Jet 9, but... Cons: if supple is what you are looking for, SB4.5 is not your cup of tea. New 120/100 XC bike coming out next moth though. Expensive, no water bottle, 429 even going uphill, much better going downhill.
    Scott 900 series: 120/120 light and fast. I donít know much about customer service though.

Intense: ridden the Primer and loved the Spider (funnest bike Iíve demoed). Sniper seems like a great bike. I have the least amount of faith in this company moving forward. Iíve heard horror stories from multiple dealers of getting warranty work done. While I understand the move to customer direct I would want to wait until the work out the bugs first. Recent change in leadership seems like a step in the right direction. All that said, Intense makes very fun bikes..

You rode and loved the Pivot. Make it easy on yourself and get it. Sooner you get it, the sooner youíll be riding it. My $.02.
    Yeti SB6c
    Cannondale Jekyll Carbon Team
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Scalpel

mtbr member
    Thanks for taking the time for the analysis Legion x! And I agree from what Iíve experienced.

So yes, I actually did pull the trigger on the 429T, and the frameset is sitting in the living room as the build kit rolls in!

mtbr member
    FYI for others, Niner was recently purchased by the same conglomerate that owns Huffy and a bunch of other brands. They now have solid financial backing and are stronger than ever. And during their brief period in chapter 11, they continued to honor all warranty claims. Their future is bright.

I really like that Pivot 429T, you will love that bike!

mtbr member
    Boz- yup. I know there's no way I could build it down to RKT weight without crazy expense, but still angling for a pretty light build. We'll $ee LOl

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    I thought that too until yesterday! Had the opportunity to test a my size medium V3 Ripley on my local trails at a demo event, but left dissatisfied with the Ripley uphill bump compliance relative to the 429T. Maybe it was a set up thing? Sag was set fwiw. The 2.6 tires bugged me but didnít help any either.

The best analogy describing the Pivot ascending is it was almost like pedaling up a ramp instead of a flight of stairs! Exaggeration, but you get the drift. I rode the same trails over and over on five different bikes for apples comparisons, and intentionally took the ďstupid lineĒ just to make it more obvious how the bikes would behave. 🤣

But I still donít know how a 4.5 or Jet 9 would compare, though I can probably guess on the Niner ( and yea, their situation is a concern but ..., just as the Yeti surcharge annoys me...). I did eliminate 429sl, Tallboy CC and Fuel EX 9.9 as well.

Interesting. This is an imperfect comparison, but I had a Pivot 5.7c that I had managed to set PR's on. I then got an SB5 and initially thought I had made a huge mistake. The suspension on Pivots is beautiful, but very different from that on the Yetis (which I now think is beautiful as well). After about 3 months of riding, I started setting a couple of PR's but after putting 2.6" tires on, blew away my previous timed climb records.

I'm not completely sure there's a lesson there, other than initial impressions can be imperfect.

As for the 2.6" tires on the Ripley (or any other 29er), that's a subject that really intrigues me, after my experience with them on the SB5. Lower pressure is better. If I'm above 18 PSI or so front or back, it's like bouncing around on beach balls, and people insist on running 25 PSI or so.

Anyway, very informative. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Did you happen to have the xc shock or trail shock ? Iíve seen people hammer this bike in Moab which is why Iím surprised you found the rear end to be so incapable.

Appreciate your insights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like the Yeti 4.5 a lot- got it after owning a Spider for two years. It climbs well and descends well. I don't find it to be to flexy. It certainly feels like a little less stiff than a Ventana X-5 or Salty but feels stiffer to me than my Spider or Mojo, for example.