Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Pivot 429 Carbon or Santa Cruz Tallboy

Which one would you go with?

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Um... is a Carbon 429 available?
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    yes, just announced. Check out their website.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Wow that was quick... I heard some rumors but didn't know it was available already...

I think for the sake of being one of the first ones to get your hands on the Carbon 429 its a no brainer!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Carbon & Ti rule
    Out of those 2, 429

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looking to get my first bike and these are the two bikes I was looking at. I thought I was going to buy the Tallboy simply because of Carbon...

What is the 429 carbon price? And availability?

mtbr member
    Ride 'em both and then decide....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If rear tire clearance isn't an issue, then definitely the Pivot. This one looks awesome, but still wish they would have done a 529.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Ride 'em both and then decide....
    Where do all you people live that can actually test ride a out of the norm bike? There's not even a dealer in my state that carries a SC or better yet a Pivot! I doubt anyone on here has even swung a leg over a 429 carbon yet.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Where do all you people live that can actually test ride a out of the norm bike? There's not even a dealer in my state that carries a SC or better yet a Pivot! I doubt anyone on here has even swung a leg over a 429 carbon yet.
    +1! Only thing I can ride within a 5hr drive is Trek & specialized!

AZ
    banned

Arizona, you can demo virtually anything here. Go west young man. Oh, 429 carbon FTW!

Fuji1971
    Apr 2010
    Any idea how the 429 frame is going to be constructed? Research how the frames are built first!!!! I'm not a carbon expert and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I would look for a single lay up not glued together tubes.

~Reformed Mechanic~

Here is an Email I received from Pivot about the 429c

Thank you for your email and interest in our bikes.

The final weight hasnít been published yet, as we are not in final production mode. It will be around ľ lbs lighter than the alloy frame, putting it as one of the lighter frames on the market. It will begin shipping in small quantities in late November, early December.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
    Best regards,

Daniel Limburg | Terrestrial Sales Manager | 1829 West Drake Drive Suite 104 | Tempe, AZ 85283 | office: 480-467-2920 | cell: 480-371-4661 | fax: 480-467-2930 | email: daniel@pivotcycles.com | skype: daniel.limburg | Home | Pivot Cycles - Mountain Bikes for XC, Trail, Downhill | Home - BH Bikes

1/4 of a lb lighter than the alloy? Doesn't sound like its going to "one of the lighter frames on the market" to me... I hope its more like a 1/2 lb...

Trail Junkie
    I wonder if their numbers are strewed by the direct mount F. derailleur and PF92 BB wights added to the frame weight package?

I really like my Tallboy Carbon, and I think originally many stated that they didn't "trust" carbon for their type of riding which made it more appealing to those that opted for the 429.

Originally the biggest turn offs about the 429 was the geometry..particularly the longish stays, but it appears the they have shortened them down to 17.65"....still longer than the Tallboy, but not by much.

I think for many, the most appealing thing is a "Carbon DW-Link" XC Racer that is also suitable for trail...I guess. Sounds exactly like the Tallboy, but with DW-Link

BTW..before everyone gets excited about them offering size "Small" check the geo..its a 23" TT which is equal to the medium of the Tallboy...but with slightly more standover.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    I'm in Boston area. I test rode a TB for a month before ordering mine. Another shop that deals Pivot's offers shorter test rides (weekends), I'm sure he'll have a carbon 429 as soon as they're shipping.

Trail Junkie
    I live in S. Florida and up until 2 months ago, both Santa Cruz and Pivot out of the same shop. They stopped carrying Santa Cruz due to allegations that the shop was illegally exporting their bikes south of the border. I am both sad and mad at SC with this situation..

I would like to take the Pivot for a ride, rode the aluminum one of course....but it didn't ride nothing like my Tallboy..but then again, I typically ride a Ti SS so I am not so much in the market for another Carbon FS 29er.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

2ts
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KaneK View Post
    +1! Only thing I can ride within a 5hr drive is Trek & specialized!
    Here in Orange County, California you can name the bike you want and you can demo or test ride in a parking lot anytime you want.

mtbr member
    Parking lot demos can be good, but if I'm going to drop this kind of cash on a bike, I want to get it out in its natural environment first. And I know that's unfortunately tough to do with bikes like this because of cost and lack of dealers. Well worth it, though.

As for the original question, if it rides as well as the Al 429 (or better!), then the 429 in a heartbeat!! I'm looking forward - sort of - to demoing one eventually. I say sort of, because it might cost me money....
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The Winner Is .....

My final 3 bikes were the Jet 9, Pivot 429 and TallBoy.c. All very nice bikes and great companies. Pivot carbon 429 is not out for another 6 months, plus they have been in business for only 4 years. A tad green. Niner was nice and probally would have been equally happy with the Jet 9. But the winner is a BlueTall Boy.c. A very solid company, with good customer support, or so I've been told. I did your typical research and found nothing but great reviews. No demos were available, so I was limited to a parking lot ride. For the home trails I ride the TBc is a great fit. Also, it will handle out west trips as well. TBc is currently being built and I should have it by this Monday.

mtbr member
    Congrats on your choice!

And not that it matters, but yes, Pivot has only been around for a few years (5, I believe). However, Chris Cocalis, the owner, has been around a lot longer. He started Titus in '91, so I think you could be pretty darn comfortable that Pivot knows what they are doing and not worry about that aspect, at least.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I find it interesting that so many people are quick to recommend the pivot over the tallboy. Considering the tallboy has been around for a few years already and has been highly reviewed by so many people and publications I would think that the tallboy would be the recommendation at this point in time. Maybe a year down the road I'll think otherwise but At this point the tallboy is the obvious choice in my opinion.
    My disclaimer to this post is that I do own a tallboy carbon. I have been intrigued by the pivot bikes (5.7 carbon looks very sweet) but I've yet to actually see one in a store or on the trail. I'm in Canada so perhaps the haven't arrived by dogsled yet.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeriderguy View Post
    Considering the tallboy has been around for a few years already and has been highly reviewed by so many people and publications I would think that the tallboy would be the recommendation at this point in time.
    I dunno... the people that I trust the most seem to all unanimously agree on the major pitfalls about the TB including myself.

I would assume the recommendations of the 429 over the TB would be those who prefer a decent pedaling platform.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    I dunno... the people that I trust the most seem to all unanimously agree on the major pitfalls about the TB including myself.

I would assume the recommendations of the 429 over the TB would be those who prefer a decent pedaling platform.
    Interesting. I've only ever seen very positive reviews of VPP. Each to their own I guess- they do take a bit of experimenting to find the sweet spot as sag is crucial to setup on vpp. However I cannot say I've ever seen a review of
    A vpp bike (intense or sc) that faulted their pedaling platform. But hey I guess I learn something new everyday

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeriderguy View Post
    Interesting. I've only ever seen very positive reviews of VPP. Each to their own I guess- they do take a bit of experimenting to find the sweet spot as sag is crucial to setup on vpp. However I cannot say I've ever seen a review of
    A vpp bike (intense or sc) that faulted their pedaling platform. But hey I guess I learn something new everyday
    Its just an opinion that some of us ex TB owners share, and a fine line to walk when critiquing one of the all time most popular FS 29ers

Not a lot of people are likely going to be quick to point out its flaws... There are some things the TB does well, and I have a feeling the people (like myself) that it did not suite well are comparing it to at least the Top 2 or 3 FS 29er pedaling platforms in existence, so it is a relative opinion...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast