Thread: Pipedream Moxie

Anytime. Anywhere.

Pipedream Moxie

After a long search for a 29 hardtail I built up a Pipedream Moxie. I had not heard of Pipedream until a few months ago and was originally looking at the NS Eccentric and the Chromag Rootdown. After driving myself slightly more crazy going over geometry I ordered a long Moxie Moxie Enduro Hardtail | 27.5/27.5+/29er Compatible . I just completed the 4th ride on it, and have given it a go on a few different types of trail. Enough that I have some solid first impressions.

I'm 5'9", older, but a pretty solid handler. No KOMs but top 3rd to 10% on a lot of segments. I am definitely a better descender than climber these days, but still hold my own going up. The Moxie is setup 29 with WT DHR/DHF tires, Fox 150mm 34 (10mm longer than the geometry chart), 30mm stem, and a 770mm bar. The bar is higher than the saddle, but is as low as it can go without my shifter hitting the top tube. I could angle it up more but I like my paddles pointed quite far down.

On the flats this bike pedals and handles very normally. The seat tube is steep but I have always favoured it that way. It's a hardtail so it accelerates quite well.

Tight and twisty. I thought that a bike this long would have one weakness here so I purposely hit up a couple of our more noodley trails. 180 turns while climbing or descending. Not normally my cup of tea, but still a bit of fun. I got through just as well as with my medium Knolly Endorphin, which is a lot shorter. I made all the corners, enjoyed it, and was surprised and impressed.

Climbing. The front end stays down easily and does not wander. I don't have to get on the nose as much as I'm used to. The frame is about 6 pounds so it's not ever going to be a weight weanie wonder.

Descending is about what I was expecting, which is great. Slack HTA, short stem, wide bars, and Minions = ripping. No surprises here. The frame seems pretty forgiving, and on quite a few sections I'm not missing the rear suspension.

Cornering. If this bike has a strong suit, it is cornering. I have never been on a 29er before so there is a bit of wheel size influencing this. I have lots of experience with these tires in 650b though. First I tried to keep my position neutral and not get my weight to far back. That said, this is the best cornering bike I've ever been on. Bear in mind today was only the 4th time out on the Moxie, but I was railing the corners from the get go. I kept up with a better rider quite easily, and I was no where near the bike's limits.

Early days, but an impressive frame from a smaller UK maker. For me this forward, or modern geometry just does not have any drawbacks. Well, I haven't tried to put it on my Kuat rack yet, and I think it may be a bit long for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pipedream Moxie-20180208_121306-1.jpg  

Pipedream Moxie-20180208_121257.jpg  

I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Glad you are digging the new bike Travis.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sick bike. Glad you like it.

mtbr member

Pipedream Moxie

WTF?! Travis on a hardtail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't need or want sliders, but that looks like a great bike. I'd love to try one.

mtbr member
    Sweet looking build! How are you finding the rigid rear end and big wheels?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I was not looking for sliding dropouts because then single speed is an easy conversion and I am stupid enough to want to try it again. The problem is that I'm a lot older this time. I like the big wheels a lot so far, they feel faster rolling. I have no idea how much. We went to a smoother trail network yesterday and I brought the right gun to that fight. I have taken it down a few rougher trails and while the big wheels and steel frame take out a bit of the sting it gives a good pounding. There was one short section that beats the crap out of me on the Endorphin that felt about the same.

The front triangle has so much room I think I will shop for a frame bag.

mtbr member
    Tested mine for the first time today, I'm a speechless for how good it is.
    It's the best climbing bike I ever had

Pipedream Moxie-ukt1jqe.jpg

Pipedream Moxie-vpshjqf.jpg

(I know, the bottle cage, pump and light are not very #ENDURO, but I need those)

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Ahhh, can't see the photos. Yes, it does climb well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, I have a question about the sliders. Does this bikes Enduro centric geo lend itself to SS riding?

I too am 5'9" and older. I too would be tempted to try it SS. But SS'ing seems like a different genre of bike than this, so I'm still confused why they made it this way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Okay, I have a question about the sliders. Does this bikes Enduro centric geo lend itself to SS riding?

I too am 5'9" and older. I too would be tempted to try it SS. But SS'ing seems like a different genre of bike than this, so I'm still confused why they made it this way.
    You don't have to go SS to use the sliding dropouts. They let you adjust wheelbase/CS length based on tire size and rider preference even when running gears.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Also allow for an emergency SS when you destroy your rear derailleur in the middle of nowhere. Been there, done that, so now any form of chain tensioning is a must have on my frames.

Could you guys confirm if my pics are visible? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Could you guys confirm if my pics are visible? Thanks
    Nope.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks, now?

mtbr member
    Thanks, now?
    Yes. Now I see them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have a SS cog and will try it out once I get up enough nerve. I don't see why the geometry would preclude it from single speeding.

mtbr member
    Does this bikes Enduro centric geo lend itself to SS riding?

SS'ing seems like a different genre of bike than this, so I'm still confused why they made it this way.
    What's different about SSing, more out of the saddle climbing?

Traditional: http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/g...e_climbing.jpg

New: http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/g...pb14645450.jpg

I think if anything the longer front-centre would be better for going up? No doubt it would be better for carrying speed and momentum going downhill when you've exceeded the speed of your gearing.

mtbr member
    Hi Travis/Zasker,
    Would one of you guys be able to measure your BB height? I'm thinking of pre-ordering ofr the 2nd batch.

Also, what travel fork is that Zasker?

Thnnks!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    312mm with the 150mm 34 and DHR/DHF WT tires.

mtbr member
    My BB is at 305mm.

Fork is a 130mm 29" Fox 34. I run it at 16/17% sag, ending at a similar loaded AC to a 20% sag 140mm fork. Might extend it to 140mm in the future, but I like firm forks

mtbr member
    Great info guys, thanks. I have a new 130mm 34, so that's good to know it can work on the frame.

Zaskar - is your frame also a 'Long'?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist View Post
    Great info guys, thanks. I have a new 130mm 34, so that's good to know it can work on the frame.

Zaskar - is your frame also a 'Long'?

Mine is a Longer, 510mm reach.

You can always extend you fork's travel to 140mm

mtbr member
    Hey guys, congrats on the bikes, they look great. I was checking the geo chart and the front end is clearly on the long side of long, while the chainstays are really short (I understand they are adjustable though).

Does it feel like you have to consiously weigh the front all the time or does the steep seat tube angle naturally put you in a balanced position?

Whyte (one of the early adopters of long-low-slack) on their previous generation enduro bike (G-160) had gone very long on the front with 420mm chainstays and they later found that it wasn't ideal. Their newer model, the G-170 is a tad shorter in reach with slightly longer CS to achieve a balanced stance. They did similar changes to their hardtail range, lengthening the chainstays as the heat tube angle got even slacker for '18.

mtbr member
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    @David R - you are probably right, and those images helped.

I'm now thinking that the longer reach and slacker HTA might make the front of the bike easier to control on steeper climbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Am I allowed to ask about the ride quality of the frame? The chainstay type makes it seem like it would be a pretty stiff chassis. I'm sure using 27.5+ tires would make that less of an issue, but I'm wondering how it feels with 29er wheels. I'm leaning towards wanting 29x2.6 than anything else. (I know the rear won't fit that though.)

EDIT: Hmm... I see some of those questions were covered a little in the review mentioned above. Would still like to hear from the owners here though.

mtbr member
    For the little I have ride, I can't really comment on frame compliance at all.
    Personally, when I go over 2.2 or so tire width and suspension I can't really feel that much of a difference.

I happen to know from a reliable source that 29x2.6 should indeed fit, as some 27.5x3.0.
    My 2.4 Ardents fit with room

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Am I allowed to ask about the ride quality of the frame? The chainstay type makes it seem like it would be a pretty stiff chassis. I'm sure using 27.5+ tires would make that less of an issue, but I'm wondering how it feels with 29er wheels. I'm leaning towards wanting 29x2.6 than anything else. (I know the rear won't fit that though.)

EDIT: Hmm... I see some of those questions were covered a little in the review mentioned above. Would still like to hear from the owners here though.
    It is more compliant than the 98 Kona Explosif and the Mondraker Vantage I had. Those are the only 2 hardtails I've been on since 98. It doesn't feel that bad to me, but I can't compare it to much.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by justwan naride View Post
    Does it feel like you have to consiously weigh the front all the time or does the steep seat tube angle naturally put you in a balanced position?
    The steep seat tube has nothing to do with it, since my cornering and descending is with the saddle dropped out of the way. Seated pedaling feels normal and for me cornering has been very natural so far. Zero front wheel drama so far.

mtbr member
    Mine is a Longer, 510mm reach.

You can always extend you fork's travel to 140mm
    How tall are you Zaskar? I'm just under 6ft, and was leaning towards the 'Longer' frame.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist View Post
    How tall are you Zaskar? I'm just under 6ft, and was leaning towards the 'Longer' frame.
    I'm 5'9" on a long and don't think I want more reach. Their sizing puts you on a longer.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I tried it single speed today, not sure if I will be able to walk tomorrow. With external cable routing and sliding dropouts it's very easy to go SS and back to geared.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I measured the angles at 65 HTA, 75.5 STA.

mtbr member

Travis you'll have to take the Moxie here ^^^.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have to double up on the calcium.

mtbr member
    Looks pretty hardtail friendly for Moab.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I measured the angles at 65 HTA, 75.5 STA.
    How did you measure the STA? Is that the effective STA for the top of your dropper?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I know, the bottle cage, pump and light are not very #ENDURO, but I need those)
    Everything, but the light is ENDURO AF! You need water and tools when you #ENDURO!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    How did you measure the STA? Is that the effective STA for the top of your dropper?
    Straight line from the centre of the seat post clamp to the centre of the BB. The higher the saddle the slacker the STA will get.

mtbr member
    Makes sense. Thanks!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com