Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipedream Moxie

Anytime. Anywhere.

Pipedream Moxie

After a long search for a 29 hardtail I built up a Pipedream Moxie. I had not heard of Pipedream until a few months ago and was originally looking at the NS Eccentric and the Chromag Rootdown. After driving myself slightly more crazy going over geometry I ordered a long Moxie Moxie Enduro Hardtail | 27.5/27.5+/29er Compatible . I just completed the 4th ride on it, and have given it a go on a few different types of trail. Enough that I have some solid first impressions.

I'm 5'9", older, but a pretty solid handler. No KOMs but top 3rd to 10% on a lot of segments. I am definitely a better descender than climber these days, but still hold my own going up. The Moxie is setup 29 with WT DHR/DHF tires, Fox 150mm 34 (10mm longer than the geometry chart), 30mm stem, and a 770mm bar. The bar is higher than the saddle, but is as low as it can go without my shifter hitting the top tube. I could angle it up more but I like my paddles pointed quite far down.

On the flats this bike pedals and handles very normally. The seat tube is steep but I have always favoured it that way. It's a hardtail so it accelerates quite well.

Tight and twisty. I thought that a bike this long would have one weakness here so I purposely hit up a couple of our more noodley trails. 180° turns while climbing or descending. Not normally my cup of tea, but still a bit of fun. I got through just as well as with my medium Knolly Endorphin, which is a lot shorter. I made all the corners, enjoyed it, and was surprised and impressed.

Climbing. The front end stays down easily and does not wander. I don't have to get on the nose as much as I'm used to. The frame is about 6 pounds so it's not ever going to be a weight weanie wonder.

Descending is about what I was expecting, which is great. Slack HTA, short stem, wide bars, and Minions = ripping. No surprises here. The frame seems pretty forgiving, and on quite a few sections I'm not missing the rear suspension.

Cornering. If this bike has a strong suit, it is cornering. I have never been on a 29er before so there is a bit of wheel size influencing this. I have lots of experience with these tires in 650b though. First I tried to keep my position neutral and not get my weight to far back. That said, this is the best cornering bike I've ever been on. Bear in mind today was only the 4th time out on the Moxie, but I was railing the corners from the get go. I kept up with a better rider quite easily, and I was no where near the bike's limits.

Early days, but an impressive frame from a smaller UK maker. For me this forward, or modern geometry just does not have any drawbacks. Well, I haven't tried to put it on my Kuat rack yet, and I think it may be a bit long for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pipedream Moxie-20180208_121306-1.jpg  

Pipedream Moxie-20180208_121257.jpg  

I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Glad you are digging the new bike Travis.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sick bike. Glad you like it.

mtbr member

Pipedream Moxie

Deleted
    Last edited by MikeDee; 02-24-2018 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't need or want sliders, but that looks like a great bike. I'd love to try one.

mtbr member
    Sweet looking build! How are you finding the rigid rear end and big wheels?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I was not looking for sliding dropouts because then single speed is an easy conversion and I am stupid enough to want to try it again. The problem is that I'm a lot older this time. I like the big wheels a lot so far, they feel faster rolling. I have no idea how much. We went to a smoother trail network yesterday and I brought the right gun to that fight. I have taken it down a few rougher trails and while the big wheels and steel frame take out a bit of the sting it gives a good pounding. There was one short section that beats the crap out of me on the Endorphin that felt about the same.

The front triangle has so much room I think I will shop for a frame bag.

mtbr member
    Tested mine for the first time today, I'm a speechless for how good it is.
    It's the best climbing bike I ever had

Pipedream Moxie-ukt1jqe.jpg

Pipedream Moxie-vpshjqf.jpg

(I know, the bottle cage, pump and light are not very #ENDURO, but I need those)

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Ahhh, can't see the photos. Yes, it does climb well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, I have a question about the sliders. Does this bikes Enduro centric geo lend itself to SS riding?

I too am 5'9" and older. I too would be tempted to try it SS. But SS'ing seems like a different genre of bike than this, so I'm still confused why they made it this way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Okay, I have a question about the sliders. Does this bikes Enduro centric geo lend itself to SS riding?

I too am 5'9" and older. I too would be tempted to try it SS. But SS'ing seems like a different genre of bike than this, so I'm still confused why they made it this way.
    You don't have to go SS to use the sliding dropouts. They let you adjust wheelbase/CS length based on tire size and rider preference even when running gears.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Also allow for an emergency SS when you destroy your rear derailleur in the middle of nowhere. Been there, done that, so now any form of chain tensioning is a must have on my frames.

Could you guys confirm if my pics are visible? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Could you guys confirm if my pics are visible? Thanks
    Nope.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Thanks, now?

mtbr member
    Thanks, now?
    Yes. Now I see them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have a SS cog and will try it out once I get up enough nerve. I don't see why the geometry would preclude it from single speeding.

mtbr member
    Does this bikes Enduro centric geo lend itself to SS riding?

SS'ing seems like a different genre of bike than this, so I'm still confused why they made it this way.
    What's different about SSing, more out of the saddle climbing?

Traditional: http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/g...e_climbing.jpg

New: http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/g...pb14645450.jpg

I think if anything the longer front-centre would be better for going up? No doubt it would be better for carrying speed and momentum going downhill when you've exceeded the speed of your gearing.

mtbr member
    Hi Travis/Zasker,
    Would one of you guys be able to measure your BB height? I'm thinking of pre-ordering ofr the 2nd batch.

Also, what travel fork is that Zasker?

Thnnks!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    312mm with the 150mm 34 and DHR/DHF WT tires.

mtbr member
    My BB is at 305mm.

Fork is a 130mm 29" Fox 34. I run it at 16/17% sag, ending at a similar loaded AC to a 20% sag 140mm fork. Might extend it to 140mm in the future, but I like firm forks

mtbr member
    Great info guys, thanks. I have a new 130mm 34, so that's good to know it can work on the frame.

Zaskar - is your frame also a 'Long'?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist View Post
    Great info guys, thanks. I have a new 130mm 34, so that's good to know it can work on the frame.

Zaskar - is your frame also a 'Long'?

Mine is a Longer, 510mm reach.

You can always extend you fork's travel to 140mm

mtbr member
    Hey guys, congrats on the bikes, they look great. I was checking the geo chart and the front end is clearly on the long side of long, while the chainstays are really short (I understand they are adjustable though).

Does it feel like you have to consiously weigh the front all the time or does the steep seat tube angle naturally put you in a balanced position?

Whyte (one of the early adopters of long-low-slack) on their previous generation enduro bike (G-160) had gone very long on the front with 420mm chainstays and they later found that it wasn't ideal. Their newer model, the G-170 is a tad shorter in reach with slightly longer CS to achieve a balanced stance. They did similar changes to their hardtail range, lengthening the chainstays as the heat tube angle got even slacker for '18.

mtbr member
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    @David R - you are probably right, and those images helped.

I'm now thinking that the longer reach and slacker HTA might make the front of the bike easier to control on steeper climbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Am I allowed to ask about the ride quality of the frame? The chainstay type makes it seem like it would be a pretty stiff chassis. I'm sure using 27.5+ tires would make that less of an issue, but I'm wondering how it feels with 29er wheels. I'm leaning towards wanting 29x2.6 than anything else. (I know the rear won't fit that though.)

EDIT: Hmm... I see some of those questions were covered a little in the review mentioned above. Would still like to hear from the owners here though.

mtbr member
    For the little I have ride, I can't really comment on frame compliance at all.
    Personally, when I go over 2.2 or so tire width and suspension I can't really feel that much of a difference.

I happen to know from a reliable source that 29x2.6 should indeed fit, as some 27.5x3.0.
    My 2.4 Ardents fit with room

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Am I allowed to ask about the ride quality of the frame? The chainstay type makes it seem like it would be a pretty stiff chassis. I'm sure using 27.5+ tires would make that less of an issue, but I'm wondering how it feels with 29er wheels. I'm leaning towards wanting 29x2.6 than anything else. (I know the rear won't fit that though.)

EDIT: Hmm... I see some of those questions were covered a little in the review mentioned above. Would still like to hear from the owners here though.
    It is more compliant than the 98 Kona Explosif and the Mondraker Vantage I had. Those are the only 2 hardtails I've been on since 98. It doesn't feel that bad to me, but I can't compare it to much.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by justwan naride View Post
    Does it feel like you have to consiously weigh the front all the time or does the steep seat tube angle naturally put you in a balanced position?
    The steep seat tube has nothing to do with it, since my cornering and descending is with the saddle dropped out of the way. Seated pedaling feels normal and for me cornering has been very natural so far. Zero front wheel drama so far.

mtbr member
    Mine is a Longer, 510mm reach.

You can always extend you fork's travel to 140mm
    How tall are you Zaskar? I'm just under 6ft, and was leaning towards the 'Longer' frame.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyquist View Post
    How tall are you Zaskar? I'm just under 6ft, and was leaning towards the 'Longer' frame.
    I'm 5'9" on a long and don't think I want more reach. Their sizing puts you on a longer.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I tried it single speed today, not sure if I will be able to walk tomorrow. With external cable routing and sliding dropouts it's very easy to go SS and back to geared.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I measured the angles at 65° HTA, 75.5° STA.

mtbr member

Travis you'll have to take the Moxie here ^^^.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have to double up on the calcium.

mtbr member
    Looks pretty hardtail friendly for Moab.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I measured the angles at 65° HTA, 75.5° STA.
    How did you measure the STA? Is that the effective STA for the top of your dropper?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I know, the bottle cage, pump and light are not very #ENDURO, but I need those)
    Everything, but the light is ENDURO AF! You need water and tools when you #ENDURO!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    How did you measure the STA? Is that the effective STA for the top of your dropper?
    Straight line from the centre of the seat post clamp to the centre of the BB. The higher the saddle the slacker the STA will get.

mtbr member
    Makes sense. Thanks!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Wasnt it last year that you tried a mondraker of something like that, decided it was too rough for us old guys and got rid of it? How are you liking the Moxie in comparison?

Apologies if I have mistaken you for someone else......

After a long search for a 29 hardtail I built up a Pipedream Moxie. I had not heard of Pipedream until a few months ago and was originally looking at the NS Eccentric and the Chromag Rootdown. After driving myself slightly more crazy going over geometry I ordered a long Moxie Moxie Enduro Hardtail | 27.5/27.5+/29er Compatible . I just completed the 4th ride on it, and have given it a go on a few different types of trail. Enough that I have some solid first impressions.

I'm 5'9", older, but a pretty solid handler. No KOMs but top 3rd to 10% on a lot of segments. I am definitely a better descender than climber these days, but still hold my own going up. The Moxie is setup 29 with WT DHR/DHF tires, Fox 150mm 34 (10mm longer than the geometry chart), 30mm stem, and a 770mm bar. The bar is higher than the saddle, but is as low as it can go without my shifter hitting the top tube. I could angle it up more but I like my paddles pointed quite far down.

On the flats this bike pedals and handles very normally. The seat tube is steep but I have always favoured it that way. It's a hardtail so it accelerates quite well.

Tight and twisty. I thought that a bike this long would have one weakness here so I purposely hit up a couple of our more noodley trails. 180° turns while climbing or descending. Not normally my cup of tea, but still a bit of fun. I got through just as well as with my medium Knolly Endorphin, which is a lot shorter. I made all the corners, enjoyed it, and was surprised and impressed.

Climbing. The front end stays down easily and does not wander. I don't have to get on the nose as much as I'm used to. The frame is about 6 pounds so it's not ever going to be a weight weanie wonder.

Descending is about what I was expecting, which is great. Slack HTA, short stem, wide bars, and Minions = ripping. No surprises here. The frame seems pretty forgiving, and on quite a few sections I'm not missing the rear suspension.

Cornering. If this bike has a strong suit, it is cornering. I have never been on a 29er before so there is a bit of wheel size influencing this. I have lots of experience with these tires in 650b though. First I tried to keep my position neutral and not get my weight to far back. That said, this is the best cornering bike I've ever been on. Bear in mind today was only the 4th time out on the Moxie, but I was railing the corners from the get go. I kept up with a better rider quite easily, and I was no where near the bike's limits.

Early days, but an impressive frame from a smaller UK maker. For me this forward, or modern geometry just does not have any drawbacks. Well, I haven't tried to put it on my Kuat rack yet, and I think it may be a bit long for it.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The Moxie is a very comfortable ride, the most comfortable hard tail I've ever been on. That is a short list though, and the first 700c mountain bike for me. The Mondraker needed + tires and they had a Vantage plus.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Here are a few quotes from Enduro-Mtb's review that I though might be stretching it. I now concur.

"the Moxie hammers down the hill with a composure and confidence that is rare in a bike with no rear travel"

"The narrow 4130 seatstays filter out a lot of trail buz and we often felt like we were riding a super burly short rear-travel machine" This one I agree with sometimes, and at others it feels like a HT.

From imbikemag.

"This compliance, however, is also part of the winning combination of the bike, making full use of the characteristics of steel for a comfortable ride"

mtbr member
    Are you on 29er wheels now or 27+ Travis?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    1st ride tonight on 2.8 Slaughters.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Last night was my first ride on a plus bike. The slaughters only measure 68mm on my 40mm internal rims. Nice profile, wicked traction, and cornering seems good so far. This was a night ride and we had a bit of fresh, grippy snow on the ground. So far the only downside is the lower BB, which looks to be 296mm when measured hastily. I did notice extra cushioning, and with a BB that low I'm looking forward to exploring the cornering limits. Slaughters were $75 CDN at the local S dealer.

Ride On
    Last night was my first ride on a plus bike. The slaughters only measure 68mm on my 40mm internal rims. Nice profile, wicked traction, and cornering seems good so far. This was a night ride and we had a bit of fresh, grippy snow on the ground. So far the only downside is the lower BB, which looks to be 296mm when measured hastily. I did notice extra cushioning, and with a BB that low I'm looking forward to exploring the cornering limits. Slaughters were $75 CDN at the local S dealer.
    296mm! Killer and I thought my 313 was low. Have you tried climbing tech at that height Travis?
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm disappointed by the lack of pict updating. And if you run 27.5+ don't you have to change forums? ;-)

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm waiting on a new lens for my phone There was some climbing last night but not techy. I'm sure it is going to be an issue in some places My friend rides a Honzo with normal 27.5 wheels and tires just fine. I could gain some BB height with 3.0 tires but that can wait until perhaps next winter.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    2nd plus ride and the BB didn't feel too low so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    296mm! Killer and I thought my 313 was low. Have you tried climbing tech at that height Travis?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I could gain some BB height with 3.0 tires but that can wait until perhaps next winter.
    So there is room for a 76mm tire in the rear?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yes, but the chainstays may have to be all the way back at 431mm. I am using 175mm cranks because that's what I had and Kona Wah Wah 2 pedals which are large.

I spun out climbing over a root today because I had gotten my weight forward on the saddle. With the steep STA I don't need to slide forward on the saddle very often, but it's instinctive.

mtbr member
    Nice. I'd run 29er tires, but if I was going to bother with 27+ for part of the year I'd go full 3"ers.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Still rocking the Moxie SS?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Just one SS ride so far. My legs need the trails to dry out, a few shots of bourbon wouldn't hurt either. Slush and mud take enough out of my legs for now.

Ride On

Pipedream Moxie

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Gimme the red pill! Or was it the blue? What’s happens if I take both? If I ride a bike with a 296mm B.B. height can I get an invite to the cave party?
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldooka View Post
    Gimme the red pill! Or was it the blue? What’s happens if I take both? If I ride a bike with a 296mm B.B. height can I get an invite to the cave party?
    If you take both pills you go straight to the cave party VIP lineup. You won't remember anything after that so no point talking about it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Just one SS ride so far. My legs need the trails to dry out, a few shots of bourbon wouldn't hurt either. Slush and mud take enough out of my legs for now.
    SS can wait for summer and you can blow the minds of visitors from Victoria.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have been riding 650b+ for a few rides and a couple more PRs fell today. Except on the quite chunky it doesn't give up and speed compared to FS. Chasing and keeping up with a Knolly Warden piloted by my faster buddy today.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Oh yea, it climbs like a goat that just stole a purse.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Still waiting on your camera lens? I'm itching to see some more shots.

mtbr member
    I have been riding 650b+ for a few rides and a couple more PRs fell today. Except on the quite chunky it doesn't give up and speed compared to FS. Chasing and keeping up with a Knolly Warden piloted by my faster buddy today.
    Nice.

Lots of money to be saved if you don't need a FS bike[s] not to mention if you go SS. I'm glad it's working out for you.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I am looking for a FS 700c (used to be known as 29er) that is similar now. On some trails there is no substitute for suspension and I rode one of those trails yesterday. The pace was slower and I was keeping up, but the rear tire was on the ground maybe 50% of the time. I am impressed with the Fox 34 GRIP that I picked up. My phone camera is still kaput because the part that came in was defective

mtbr member
    I am looking for a FS 700c (used to be known as 29er) that is similar now. (
    What bikes are on the short list so far?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Fugitive is the front runner, but Gravity Guerrilla, and a carbon Smuggler are on my bike radar. I'm in no rush and a few more may appear this spring.

mtbr member
    Fugitive is the front runner, but Gravity Guerrilla, and a carbon Smuggler are on my bike radar. I'm in no rush and a few more may appear this spring.
    The Fug seems right up your alley given your love for your current Knolly bikes. The Smuggler [at least on paper] doesn't have much rear tire clearance, which would be a deal breaker for me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Pole Evolink? Nicolai?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I took the Moxie with 650b+ down the road to some flowier trails yesterday. Conditions were perfect, and I had the trails to myself. I PRd a segment even though I'm a bit less fit compared to my previous record. I may have to do some back to back testing between 700c and 650b+. I had assumed that the + tires would be better in the wet winter and "normal" tires better in the dry.

One negative though. Yesterday was the first time I loaded the Moxie on my Kuat rack, and it is a bit too long. I will rig a strap to hold the rear wheel on because the stock strap isn't quite long enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looking forward to some back to back test feedback and pictures too.

mtbr member
    Meanwhile, I have some hundreds of kms now on the Moxie.

Two weeks ago was a very fun ride, total 50km, 1000m vertical gain. 15 or 20km each way of flatish path to a local DH track, then climb and descend the 3 DH courses. Clipped a tree and crashed pretty hard at a rock garden.

Last Sunday we went (unofficially) to a 45km XC race. I slashed the rear tire in the first 10km, big bummer. Then we decided the singletrack was too crowded and went searching for an alternative track. Ended up climbing even bigger hills than the race that felt like EWS tracks and being attacked by 120lb dogs, then my friend bent his Eagle RD.
    A trail/enduro HT is no match to a XC race bike on good to medium terrain, not to extreme step climbs, but you can have fun too.

Overall, I'm in love. This bike brought me back a love and enthusiasm for MTB I didn't had in years.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you're really enjoying the bike, regardless of which one is faster are you enjoying the 650+ more than the "regular" 29er tyres, or is it just a matter of horses for courses?

With the FS 29er would you go for a large Smuggler/Fugitive to get similar sizing to the Moxie?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My next FS bike will have geometry similar to the Moxie. I don't know anyone with a XC race bike so keeping up with them is not an issue. Our riding is firmly in the Funduro® zone.

mtbr member
    I don't know anyone with a XC race bike so keeping up with them is not an issue. Our riding is firmly in the Funduro® zone.
    Is being able to run the plus tyres on the FS a consideration, with squish at both ends will you stick with the regular 700c?

I was surprised at how good the 650b+ tyres felt when I borrowed a friends LaPierre Edge last year (when my Inline failed the day before I left for a weekend in Rotorua) but the frame was way too rigid for my liking. I can see how they could be fun on something like the Moxie though.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I had not considered + tires on a FS bike. I think normal 2.4-2.6 tires have plenty of traction and FS doesn't need extra cush. However further testing is required. Good thing testing is fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi,

What rear disc size does the Moxie frame take, and does it have ISCG 05 tabs? It's not all that clear in their website or in pictures online.

Thanks

mtbr member
    It takes a rear 160mm disc minimum.

Yes, it has the tabs, quite burly

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I just want to add that this bike may be impossible to Endo. I should have last night, but amazingly I am unscathed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Still no picts? (sad face)

Do you think this bike would work with a 130mm fork?

Are you still running 27.5+? Got any more feedback about the difference between that and 29er?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I am considering phones right now, didn't think I would miss a camera this much. I have been on plus for a while and am loving it. Butchers are measuring 69.5mm so not real big, but fast with extra cush. Super low BB and a planted feel. I'm going to try the 29 some more but if I gad to have only one it would be 650b+ right now. This may be the best hardtail in the world

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Followed my buddy who rides a Spartan down a rocky section last night and kept up. Bent the needle on my funometer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That awesome. I'm thinking I want a 29er that will take 2.6" tires as my ideal. 130mm is probably enough travel, but I want the new geo like this bike has.

Please get a new phone damnit!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I am running my fork at 150mm and think 130 would lower the BB too much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe so, but if I ran 29x2.6 it would be okay?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yes, I think so. I don't think it'll fit in the rear, but it's out front where you need it.

mtbr member
    I've run a 130mm 29" for a while, but with a smaller sag to compensate the compressed length. Ended up swapping the air shaft to 140mm which is the recommended 29" length.
    Can't you extend your fork with a different air shaft? That would be the proper fix

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Phone WITH camera is on the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I am running my fork at 150mm and think 130 would lower the BB too much.
    Hi I'm new on the forum and just ordered a Moxie.
    Was pretty disapointed when I read your post because I bought a Pike 140 for 29 wheels.
    But it's all clear now, the specs to consider is the Fork Length, and not the travel.
    I measured my Pike and it's 550, Moxie specs on the website are done with a 555 fork length. So it's perfect, I can sleep peacefully and wait 2 months for my frame.

transmitter~receiver
    that thing is raked AF!!
    glad you're digging it... nice build.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Phone WITH camera is on the way.
    You need to expedite that shipping Travis!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vandaal View Post
    Hi I'm new on the forum and just ordered a Moxie.
    Was pretty disapointed when I read your post because I bought a Pike 140 for 29 wheels.
    But it's all clear now, the specs to consider is the Fork Length, and not the travel.
    I measured my Pike and it's 550, Moxie specs on the website are done with a 555 fork length. So it's perfect, I can sleep peacefully and wait 2 months for my frame.
    That great, congrats. But 2 months? Damn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Two months, taking the worst case.
    End of batch 2: April
    Delivery: May (Begin or end?)

If end, 2 months

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I took the Moxie over to the big boy trails yesterday. Steeper, rougher, and crazy fun. I found my limits of hardtail riding in the chunk, and the Moxie is more capable than I had imagined. It made one particular near vertical rock face almost easy. Very confident rolling down steep rocks. With the 650b+ tires, 175mm cranks and huge Kona Wah Wah 2 pedals it is too low for me to pedal chunk without strikes. Next up it's back to 29 wheels. I may get some shorter cranks to try. I also PR'd the pavement/gravel road segment to the trails so I know the 2.8 Butchers are fast.

mtbr member
    Also had a go at a very technical track last week. Rock, rock and more rock, crazy cramped, step, lots of almost vertical faces.
    This thing really is OTB proof, is unbelievable. Lots of drops have a 90° or worse corner right before and since I suck at wheely dropping I just rolled down the thing. Was absolutely convinced I was going OTB a couple of times, only to roll down the thing without drama

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Last week I rolled into a steep chute that I have crashed a few times on. With the Moxie I hit a rock with the front tire and assumed I would endo, but nothing happened other than a hard stop. It's about as endo proof as it gets.

mtbr member
    Mine also ordered, thanks to Travis and zaskar for their input, much appreciated.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Back on 700c (29) wheels yesterday and that seemed to raise the BB enough to alleviate the pedal strikes. Trails were dry to tacky and riding was pure magic.

Ride On
    Back on 700c (29) wheels yesterday and that seemed to raise the BB enough to alleviate the pedal strikes. Trails were dry to tacky and riding was pure magic.
    Travis, give the B+9er a try B+ in the rear. I’ve been running this for a while on my nine with a fast rear tire, freaking loving it.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    We are talking about a Cumby trip 21 & 22 April. I'd like to see the Moxie in action Travis.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast