Thread: Picking a FS

mtbr member
    May 2013

Picking a FS

So I've been reading here for a few months, decided to finally register and ask my question. I'm currently riding a 2013 Giant Talon (HT) and I'm looking to upgrade to a FS 29er. When I bought this bike my wife wasn't to keen on the price (I pushed it to get that far), now however she understands, so I can push a lot higher (Say 4k?).

Most of my riding is at a place in Oklahoma called Turkey Mountain, though I plan on traveling a lot, so whatever bike I end up with will go everywhere with me (Hopefully). Turkey Mountain is mostly rocky rooted trails with a few spots where you can really tear across a semi-smooth xc style area, but it's short lived.

Most everything is rocky climbs and decents. I'm to the point where I'm getting a little to brave(Read here, Stupid) for what my mike has to offer being a "Sport". Just yesterday I empailed my kneecap on the fork lockout after hitting a rock going wayy to fast.

I should also add I'm 6'4, 290 lbs (Not small by any means).

From everything I've read, I'm shooting for Shimano over SRAM and Elix brakes, I'm looking for something XT equpied if possible. At the momen I have two really good bikes in mind, but I can't find much compairing the two.

I can get the three star Niner Rip 9 for a very good price (And tax free). I also prefer how it looks over the other option. It has the Shimano XT I prefer, it would also be sold to me Tubeless (Not just tubeless ready).

Second is the Giant Trance X 29er 0. It's almost the exact same equpment, though a Fox 32 in lue of a 34, also the wheels are only tubeless ready. I can get the 0 for around 4k (Dealer won't budge more than that..).

The down side is I can't demo either. The only demo bike I could find locoally was a Trek Rumblefish.. and it just felt cheap, maybe I'm being too picky? The Niner dealer said if I don't like it, he'll let me return it without an issue, they're such a hot ticket item he can sell it without an issue if I decide I dont' like it. The Giant dealer however isn't the same, they'll buy it back I'm sure, but at a chuck to me.

A third possible option is to pick up a left over niner rip 9 frame and have it qupied like a new bike, This may even put it down in the 3k range. From what I gather from reading the only thing differnt is it's the older (Non CTD) Fox shock.

Any thoughts? I'm really leaning twords the Niner, but everyone raves about the new Trace. Is the Trance better than the RIP 9?

Always Learning
    You'll love a size XL RIP!!!

Carbon & Ti rule
    I quite like the Trace x as a bike & have talked a couple of people I know into them in the lower speck because that is all they could afford.

One of the guys that has just started ridding with us has a Trance X 29 & he is 6'3 275 lb & at his size he really finds the Trance just isn't enough bike for him.

He decided last night that he is going to get a Rip9.

The Rip9 is a much stiffer frame & the just straight out pedal so dam well over the ruff stuff.

IMO the I would go for the new Rip9 over the 2012 because it has more travel & has a shock that may well suit your size better.

If you can spend $4k I would not try to build a cheaper bike, At your size & weight you will have so much more fun on a bike that is up to the Job.

Xt stuff is good, make sure they put 180mm brake rotors on it for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It sounds very much as if the suspension is what's needed for your rocky type of riding. Maybe you shouldn't get too fixated on the 29er. You might keep your eye out of a used Turner 5-spot frame in XL as they seem to be going cheap these days. I guess you might even see a Sultan.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So I found a local dealer that carries Scott and Cannondale. I really liked the Scott Genius 730, however it may not support my weight . I decided against the RIP after hearing a back story on the dealer. The Cannondale trigger 29er is an option I'm considering, but it's all up in the air.

This is like shopping for clothes and shoes!

Carbon & Ti rule
    What story did you hear about the Rip9 ??

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Nothing about the bike, just the dealer, the next dealer is a good ways away.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Namlehse View Post
    Nothing about the bike, just the dealer, the next dealer is a good ways away.
    You could still buy online.

The Rip9 is well worth a look.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just bought a Trance 29er x2. I got to Demo the 0. For $4k can I suggest you take a look at the yeti SB-95?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a RIP9 and mostly ride in NW Arkansas, but I hit Turkey and Keystone whenever I'm in the mood for chunk. I can tell you without question, that the RIP is the perfect bike for Turkey Mountain. First time I took mine out to there, I left feeling like that bike was built for those trails. It absolutely eats that terrain up. No joke. You cannot go wrong with that bike.

I bought mine from what was 918xc, then turned into Hammerhead and is now Switchback bikes I think. Those guys were great and honestly I've never been to another shop that even comes close to it. Pretty sure they're the only niner dealer in Tulsa, so I assume that's who you've been dealing with. Not sure what kind of issues you're hearing about but I've always had great experiences buying stuff from them. Really helpful and very knowledgable guys.