Thread: Phoenix Mrazek

mtbr member

Phoenix Mrazek

Here's a little story of rebirth...
    Back in early 2010 my bike (the orange Mrazek in the pics below) is loaded in the back of a VW pickup/van to go riding with a couple folks. The 3 bikes are leaning against the cab, unsecured, as we head off. After a while the road straightens out and we reach cruising speed of ~60 mph. I turn around to look at the bikes just in time to see the bikes do a big shift (the seats and bars were catching the wind) and my Mrazek take a little bounce, catch air, fly out the back, and tumble seat over wheels on the road. Oh man, that hurt deep inside to see that happen. Fortunately, there were no cars behind us. Upon inspection, the patient is injured, with bent front rim, seat rails and rear rotor, but the frame appears ok. These things do not prevent me from riding as planned that day, but the parts are replaced asap.

4 weeks and many rides later, I'm cleaning my bike in preparation for a local race, the Lemurian Classic, and that's when I notice the two small cracks: one on the top tube where it meets the seat tube, and one in the downtube where the 'chainstays' attach (and across the water bottle hole). This makes me sad, and I'm unable to join the race and I start looking for a replacement frame.

With full disclosure, I inform Mrazek of what has happened to see if there is anything to be done for the frame. They are unsure, but if I ship to the Czech Rep, they will take a look. This I do. In the meantime, my componentry has merged with a 2010 Kona Unit frame, and I discover the joys of single speeding.

Some months later, I hear that Boh Mrazek may actually be able to fix it up, but he is very busy building new frames, and there are big floods, etc.... So I patiently wait, and that's ok by me, I don't have high expectations. Then one day, again months later, an email: Boh has welded on a couple of gussets to repair the cracks, the frame is finished and deemed trail-worthy, what color would you like?... And nearly 2 years from the day of the bungled transport, I am reunited with my frame, enclosed in a nice dark green powder coat. Yea.

I've taken several long hard rides on the repaired frame, and it's performed admirably, and I'm very grateful to have it back. It's quite a bit more slack than the Kona, something I didn't really notice before, when I first got the Unit. The Mrazek can bomb.

So, there you go, and 3 Cheers to Mrazek (and Jeff Burnard, the liaison) for fixing up one of their frames that they didn't really have to....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phoenix Mrazek-bb_mrazek.jpg  

Phoenix Mrazek-mrazekside2.jpg  

Phoenix Mrazek-mrazekrear.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Great story. I've always liked the looks of these bikes, and I bet this one will always have a special place in your mtb heart.