mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Panaracer Rampage 2.35 vs WTB Weirwolf LT 2.55

I have both of these tires to go on a fully rigid SS (Kona Unit) running ghetto tubeless (split tube). Which would you put on front?

I actually have two of the Rampages, though, so another option is to use those front & rear.

Terrain is typical midwest - some short/steep hills, rocks, roots...

I know typical wisdom is to use the wider tire on front, but I've also read some reviews that the WWLT is not as wide as advertised.

Thanks.

-

mtbr member
    Never used the Rampage, but have many miles on the Weirwolf in Az rocks down south and roots up north through the piney woods. Run them front and rear on my 29 SS and love them. Their durability is also amazing, considering all the rocks we have. I run them tubeless at 24 psi and weigh 190.
    Casing width is 61mm on a Flow.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd run the more aggressive tread, Rampage, up front.

mtbr member
    Rampage 2.35 up front, Ignitor on the back. Pedals nice, and corners great. Typical Midwest trails for me too.
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

Plan #123-D
    I ride rigid and use the Rampage as a front. It's set up tubeless at about 18-20 psi and I really like it. I ride typical midwest singletrack....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I haven't ridden the Rampage, but have heard good things about them. I am running a Weirwolf 2.55 on the front of ridgid Jabber and really like it. Azjonboy is right they wear very well, I run my tubed at about 24 psi on a Stans 355. Another tire to consider IMHO, is the 2.4 Maxxis Ardent. I just put on the front of my Nimble9, only one ride in so far but really like the traction and seems to roll very fast(coming from a nevegal).

mtbr member
    I've ridden both the WWLTs f&r and Rampages f&r. You're correct about the LT size. WTB should be spanked for lying. They're actually about 2.3, but still a great tire. I preferred the suppleness of the LTs for most of my riding, but when things got wet they were scary, so I'd switch to the Rampages for their superior bite. Since then I've been riding Ardent 2.4s. Lots of volume, good sidewalls and decent bite.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Just as an FYI, Rampage is very slow out back, consider an Ardent or Crossmark on the rear instead.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

All That is Man
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Never used the Rampage, but have many miles on the Weirwolf in Az rocks down south and roots up north through the piney woods. Run them front and rear on my 29 SS and love them. Their durability is also amazing, considering all the rocks we have. I run them tubeless at 24 psi and weigh 190.
    Casing width is 61mm on a Flow.
    Ditto on this. I've been using my WWLT on the rear and Rampage up front for about a year and the WWLT just now starting to show signs of needing replacement. I've snagged the sidewalls so many times that I'm starting to wear through them, but no tears.

I replaced my Rampage up front with a WWLT for the TotWM. Very good balance of speed, grip, plushness. I'm also running 24psi at 185-190lbs. I'm still running the fresh WWLT up front and the old one in the rear with good results, but the rear is starting to slip on climbs, but not bad enough for me to want to spend the money on a new one yet.

One thing to note is that the WWLT will wander sideways a bit at speed on loose terrain. The Rampage tracks way better and gives more confidence on that stuff. It's a super grippy tire for what it weighs and isn't the slowest thing out there, but is not very good on the rear (very slow on the rear).
    John

mtbr member
    I'm running two rampage 29x2.35 tires and they work great for everything but for mud/wet conditions. I run my rear tire backwards. I do feel a bit slow but I like the traction the rampage's give me. I'm gonna try the crossmark on the rear and rampage up front as I kinda know how two rampage's feel. I'm coming from maxxis crossmark tires.

Bike Snob
    I use a WWLT up front exclusively. I thought the rampage was a decent front tire but heavy, just go with the WW and you will be happy.
    Find a nice tire like the Crossmark for the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    With your choices mentioned: Rampage up front, WW in the back. WW is faster rolling, both are heavy but not too bad, volume is very close (despite the numbers no the side). Most want the faster tire in the back, and the one that hooks up will in the front. Guys are right in that the Rampage is low on the back.

Personally run a Rampage in the front and a Crossmark in the rear. If you can stand the rear volume loss, that might be an option down the line.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

MTB B'dos
    I've used both as front and rear tyres and they both work quite well depending on your specific terrain. Right now I'm running the WW LT upfront with a Bonti XR front in the rear and it's a nice, fairly fast combo for the dry and not bad if it's really sloppy wet that the mud is like water, but in mud they pack up too fast and big. Volume wise I'd say I give the edge to the WW LT by a couple MM casing wise. WW LT is definitely a faster roller, but doesn't give up a whole lot, again terrain dependent on the Rampage.

I say you've got the tyres, hold off on setting them up tubeless and just throw them on with tubes and experiment and find out for yourself what both of them are like. Remember to play with the pressures as these tyres, especially as fronts like low PSI - FYI I run them around 19-21 on Flows and I weigh about 180lbs kitted to ride and that's tubed.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Both work great tubeless, no reason not to run them as such.

The Rampage has much bigger knobs, more aggressive.

The Weirwolf has larger volume, on equal rims.

I prefer the weirwolf front and rear after running rampages for the last 3 or 4 years. The extra volume is worth it on my rigid bike.

The WTB weirwolf tubeless compatible is about to hit the market, and product numbers are showing up at my distributor. No stock yet though. Can't wait for this tire!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, guys. I forgot, but I do have an Ignitor that I could add to the options. I'm hesitant to use it, though. I've had bad luck with sidewall cuts on the Ignitors.

As for rims... The front is the stock Alex EN-24 and the rear is a Salsa Delgado X, so neither is particularly wide.

Change anyone's mind?

mtbr member
    Ok, gonna go riding tomorrow morning with a crossmark (reversed and round knobs cut) in the rear with a rampage up front. Running tubes around 40psi on the crossmark and 35 on the rampage. Southern California conditions here.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat View Post
    Rampage 2.35 up front, Ignitor on the back. Pedals nice, and corners great. Typical Midwest trails for me too.
    I like this combo on my HT. Allowed me to drop about 1/2lb of weight over dual Rampages. All in all, for the kind of volume and knobbage that the Rampage offers, it is not a heavy tire. Couple its reasonable weight and decent performance with its <$40 price tag and you have a fine product indeed. It dwarfs the Ignitor, and the Crossmark has serious knob-envy when in the company of the Rampage. It seems to me the OP has two tires that would be great up front. I have never ridden the WW, but I'd probably try it out back first if the dilemna were mine.
    Responds to gravity

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    Ok, gonna go riding tomorrow morning with a crossmark (reversed and round knobs cut) in the rear with a rampage up front. Running tubes around 40psi on the crossmark and 35 on the rampage. Southern California conditions here.
    How much do you weigh? I'd consider 30 psi in the rear and 22-25 psi in the front, for what I weigh, 240 wet. If you weigh less than me, air down a bit, so you don't ping pong ball those tires off of every rock and root. I do ride alot in So Cal.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    @The_Mickstar: Ignitor would fall into the Crossmark family. With the choices you have, if you can forgoe the volume in the back run WW or Rampage up front, Ignitor rear. If you need extra volume or float, I say WW rear. I run the ignitor in the front with a Crossmark in the rear on my race oriented setup. Smaller volumes on both, but spin up and change direction quicker. I would run something bigger on the front for even a race setup if fully rigid though.

Since you seem to be running tubes, why not try it a few ways and see what works? Tubed swap out shouldn't take more than 10 minutes and a beer.

@Slipphatty & RandyBoy: Bookmarking the weight thing. Run Rampage F/Crossmark R tubeless @ 21F/26R lbs on a hard tail. 140 lb rider with gear. Definitely can go lower with 29" wheels, and lower still if tubeless than you might think. I used to pinch flat my 26" rears nearly every ride at 35lbs...go figure. This is desert SW with rock and sand, but ran the same when I was in the Colorado front range too.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    A little more info...

I've been running Rampage 2.35s front & rear on the stock Alex EN-24 rims, ghetto tubeless (split tube) at ~30psi. I weight 190lb, and, as mentioned, full rigid singlespeed.

The stock rear hub was a POS and finally crapped-out, so I'm replacing it with a Surly SS hub laced to a Salsa Delgado X rim (got a deal locally used).

Since I'm running tubeless, I'm mainly just trying to figure out what the best rear tire to go with w/o trying different combos. From the sounds of it, I'll give a Ignitor a try first and, if necessary, change it out for the WWLT.

Steve

Dinner for wolves
    I run my Ignitor tubeless via split-tube on a Rhyno-Lite. No problems, nary a burp. I'll add this, the Crossmark and Ignitors have similar weights, but the Crossmark is a noticeably puffier tire than the Ignitor. The weight of the ignitor is in the knobs. The casing is laughably small when compared to the Rampage. I was in your boat and tried the Ignitors on a whim. Although it works well, I would love to have a ~650gm with the Crossmarks casing and the Ignitor's knobs.

Suggestions are welcome.
    Responds to gravity

usually cranky
    go for the rampage, one of the best fronts i have run next to a minion dhf.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat View Post

This is the setup I'm using on my Unit in the Mid-Atlantic area. Works very well. Still playing with tire pressure though (running tubes).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    How much do you weigh? I'd consider 30 psi in the rear and 22-25 psi in the front, for what I weigh, 240 wet. If you weigh less than me, air down a bit, so you don't ping pong ball those tires off of every rock and root. I do ride alot in So Cal.
    Thanks for the tip. It really felt a lot grippier running at lower psi's. Also, with the crossmark in the back my ride feels a lot faster. I did not have any traction issues as I was having my first few rides on the crossmarks. I'm definitely gonna be riding this setup for a while now.

mtbr member
    The Rampage up front, because of the relative high rolling resitance.
    I have an old Rampage at the back, but it feels slow.
    No problems as a front tire though, just love it.
    Ghetto tubeless, F +R.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.