Nope got nothing

Paging Colonel 29r owners

Picked up a Colonel in the classifieds and have started the build up. Things are going pretty well...I will post the details latter.

But I am looking for some feed back on which front derailleur works best with this frame.

The wheel set that was swapped in has Fast Traks, which makes things a little tight.
    I have tried a Sram X-gen and when it is in the correct orientation hits on both the cage and the pull arm (Top pull bottom swing).

I remember seeing something about this in another thread, but wasn't able to search it out.

Thanks
    Can't out ride karma

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What size frame? What are your dimensions (height, inseam)? I'm reeeeally close to calling on Monday to order a Colonel 29r. Would love to see some pics. Is it geared only, or does it have the modular dropouts? Sorry for all the questions. Still trying to bang out the details of what exactly I want.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS
    What size frame? What are your dimensions (height, inseam)? I'm reeeeally close to calling on Monday to order a Colonel 29r. Would love to see some pics. Is it geared only, or does it have the modular dropouts? Sorry for all the questions. Still trying to bang out the details of what exactly I want.

yep without more info I have no idea. I can use what ever der. I want. there are no clearance issues. But I understand that the first several Colonel 29er used shorter chainstays according to John at Dean.

In fact, if I were you I would just call them up on Monday and ask them what to do.
    my builder: Neil at Cernitz Bike

Nope got nothing

Good plan

To give Dean a call. I figured I'd throw it out here to get a quick answer.
    The frame built up pretty nice. It came in at 22.5 without the front derailleur, cable and housing.

The frame was listed as a year old large. It has a 19" ST, 23.75" EFTT, and 16.75" chain stays.

I am 6'1" 34" inseam and 225 in gear. (Yea I know about the weight limit on the fork) We'll have to see how it rides with my weight. If I am too heavy for it it will go back in the classified to the next Ti fan.

Here are a few pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Law
    yep without more info I have no idea. I can use what ever der. I want. there are no clearance issues. But I understand that the first several Colonel 29er used shorter chainstays according to John at Dean.

In fact, if I were you I would just call them up on Monday and ask them what to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Can't out ride karma

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Dude that is sweet. What is the weight limit for the fork?

Where's Toto?
    Here's my Colonel. I'm using an older Shimano XTR courtesy of S-Goat. The Xgen and M760 do not provide enough tire clearance for my taste. I think mine is a M961...

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...=130&brand=226

Attached Images Attached Images

Nope got nothing

Weight limit for the Pace

The manual says that the limit is 210 lbs. I ride pretty light so I don't think it will be an issue. I had my first short ride this morning and I have to say that I am impressed with the feel of the frame and fork. The trails should be drying out in a day or so and I'll give it the full test.
    Spoke with the previous owner, and he confirmed that the XTR bottom swing fits well. Dean lists the clamp size at 1 1/4" so I need to figure the conversion to metric.

All in all I am impressed, I'll give it a good write up (Dean can use the positive press ) as soon as I get some miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Law
    Dude that is sweet. What is the weight limit for the fork?
    Can't out ride karma

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    1-1/4" clamp would be 31.8mm for your front derrailleur.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by Tex Mannz
    The manual says that the limit is 210 lbs. I ride pretty light so I don't think it will be an issue. I had my first short ride this morning and I have to say that I am impressed with the feel of the frame and fork. The trails should be drying out in a day or so and I'll give it the full test.
    Spoke with the previous owner, and he confirmed that the XTR bottom swing fits well. Dean lists the clamp size at 1 1/4" so I need to figure the conversion to metric.

All in all I am impressed, I'll give it a good write up (Dean can use the positive press ) as soon as I get some miles on it.

There has to be a buffer on the weight limit. I am sure that you are fine. I was thinking that it as only like 185lbs or something.