Dickhouse
    Dec 2010

Orion Cycles...still there??

A while back I had Orion Cycles build me a set of wheels. His prices were unbelievable, customer service was great, and timing was spot-on. In the last month I've been trying to get a hold of him again, with no luck. Does anyone know if they are still building wheels? Still around? Lost in the woods on an endless journey (a universal excuse, of which all mountain bikers must accept)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't know if he is still there or not, but frankly, I wouldn't do business with him. He bailed on a fair number of eBay orders this spring. I had to go through the eBay complaint process to get my money back, as did a number of others. Search the forum for details.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah unfortunately at the beginning of the year he had a lot of family and work related stuff happen that cause him to not be able to meet his orders. I think I was probably one of the last people to get my wheels from him. He came on and explained the situation, apologized and said that he would be taking a hiatus from building for some time. He was a one man shop that did all the building himself in his free time (which from what I gathered was almost nill).

Best try MikeSee or RedBarn Cycles if you are looking for a handbuilt set.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I ordered a wheel set from him back in March. I have yet to recieve them, or a refund. I think I am one of about 5 that he shafted. He owes me $510

Not saying he is a con artist, I honestly can't see why he would come through on just about all his orders and then suddenly decide to take his customers money and run....but oh well.

I am still holding out hope that I will have a package wating at my door someday. If anyone knows him personally can you please let him know to at least contact me or something?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Orion had amazing prices, and did good work (from what I can tell from purchases friends made). I always ordered my wheel building supplies from him, and shipping to Canada was very reasonable. When I dealt with him he was very quick, just sometimes a took a couple days to hear back. Unfortunately I think he got really busy with a bunch of stuff and emailed a whole bunch of customers to say he wasn't taking on any new orders. A friend ended up waiting 3 or 4 months to get his wheels, he was not pleased. Within that order was some stuff I ordered, I recall a roll of yellow tape, but it was missing from the package, even though we were billed for it. After waiting that long I figured it wasn't worth pursuing for tape. That was the last I heard.

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Wow, looks like I got lucky then, or just missed the "cut-off". I ordered a set from him in February/March and received them very quickly...quick, fast, easy transaction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had ordered and paid for a set of Flow / DT240S last year. The next day a used set went up on Ebay. Orion refunded me immediately. Sad to hear.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah is truly a talented builder and was well liked in the community here. Sucks that this happened and he had to back out on so many people. Looks like the orders that were placed before Feb/March were honored and completed, rest were either refunded or he is still working to refund.

Talking with him when I did he said he had so many builds that he did not have time to even ride, then family deaths (yes multiple) and life got in the way. Hopefully he will be back and building for the community, albeit in a limited aspect. My Flows with M629 Shimano hubs were flawless and have took some hard beatings from me. Even my local shop owner was like "wow, these are solid. Where did you get them again?"
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JCoop341 View Post
    I ordered a wheel set from him back in March. I have yet to recieve them, or a refund. I think I am one of about 5 that he shafted. He owes me $510

Not saying he is a con artist, I honestly can't see why he would come through on just about all his orders and then suddenly decide to take his customers money and run....but oh well.

I am still holding out hope that I will have a package wating at my door someday. If anyone knows him personally can you please let him know to at least contact me or something?

Thanks!

I'm with you on that. He stole $495 from me, I went through them directly not ebay so I got screwed out of my money.