Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Origin 8 sub compact crankset...

Sorry if I missed information on this in the forums:

http://www.origin-8.com/?page_id=91&...+ARMS+%26+SETS

Does anybody have these? Does anybody have any opinion on them as far as weight and durability? If there are threads, please direct me because I didn't see much using the search. thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin

Does anybody have these? Does anybody have any opinion on them as far as weight and durability? If there are threads, please direct me because I didn't see much using the search. thanks
    It is a new product. Shown at interbike. Weight is listed in your link. It is an external bearing BB with a separate spindle.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ballbuster

Spot on!

... almost.

That 44t big ring is super tall. I would have dropped that down to a 42t or even a 40t. If they were 180mm and silver, I would sell my own children to the carpet weavers in India for a set.

I was hoping somebody would come out with an external BB compact mountain triple. Sweet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    It is a new product. Shown at interbike. Weight is listed in your link. It is an external bearing BB with a separate spindle.
    Thanks Shiggy. I guess my newbishness is asking about the weight and opinions about the heft as in: is 800 grams reasonable/good for a triple crank? If memory of other cranksets serves, the Origin8 weight is pretty good, around XT level, right? So then now I wonder about durability and clydeworthiness, but since the cranks are so new, maybe nobody is using them yet.

Pimpbot, I was thinking 40T would be better myself. Or just pulling the 44 and running a bash.

ballbuster

That is pretty dang light

Thanks Shiggy. I guess my newbishness is asking about the weight and opinions about the heft as in: is 800 grams reasonable/good for a triple crank? If memory of other cranksets serves, the Origin8 weight is pretty good, around XT level, right? So then now I wonder about durability and clydeworthiness, but since the cranks are so new, maybe nobody is using them yet.

Pimpbot, I was thinking 40T would be better myself. Or just pulling the 44 and running a bash.
    IIRC, LX cranks, M585s are around 910 grams complete. XTs of the same era (2006 or so) were 860g or therebouts. A big chunk of the difference in weight was the steel vs alu granny gear. The current XTRs are 795 grams, IIRC.

A pic, so folks know what the crud we are talking about

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

I was hoping somebody would come out with an external BB compact mountain triple. Sweet!
    Here's another one... No weight info, but if my Phil Wood square taper ever fails me, I'd upgrade to these Middleburns.

5 Arm 94BCD spider, single, daul ring options as well! NICE!
    http://www.mtbtandems.com/Middleburn.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Origin 8 sub compact crankset...-rs8_external_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Origin8's parts usually aren't the lightest, but they're an excellent value and I will happily pick one up when they're available so I can change my 32x20 to a 29x18 with a White Industries Trials freewheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quick FYI: There's a set of these on FleaBay right now (12/15/10) for the buy it now price of $169.00. I don't know what MSRP will be, but if somebody wants to get the jump on a set...
    I haven't decided what cranks I want on my new build or I might already have purchased them.

Edit: They sold off Fleabay, but nobody thanked me for the tip. Purchaser, you owe us a report as soon as you get them!
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 12-16-2010 at 11:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So are these going to be HT2 compatible or are they going to use some separate BB system. I'm fine with the separate spindle (ala Mr. Whirly cranks) but don't want to get involved in Powerspline, Howitzer, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    don't believe the weight, origin 8 says 800 grams,more like 2.6 pounds including bottom bracket.that's what mine weighs...lying bastards

mtbr member
    Bringing this back from the dead since a search doesn't reveal much on this crank.

Any one else use these? Would middleburn rings fit on this crankset? The description on the Origin8 site is confusing...does it come with a bottom bracket? Any ride reports?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Double bump. I started this thread. Can't believe nobody is riding these. Would also like to see/hear if anybody put these on a scale to see if the 800gram claims are true.

Double bump. I started this thread. Can't believe nobody is riding these. Would also like to see/hear if anybody put these on a scale to see if the 800gram claims are true.
    I am hoping to get a set soon. Been looking around for a smaller outer ring, too.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    After I do my taxes I am picking hopefully picking one up and putting 20/30/40 rings on. I will weigh it then. Would be nice to hear use reports though!

MTB B'dos
    Biggest thing going for these is that they're 5 bolt and not 4 like most other cranks these days. Not sure why in hell they'd do 20/30 and then throw a 44 on there, makes absolutely no sense what so ever
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Biggest thing going for these is that they're 5 bolt and not 4 like most other cranks these days. Not sure why in hell they'd do 20/30 and then throw a 44 on there, makes absolutely no sense what so ever
    The stock rings are actually 22/30/44, which does make sense for 26" wheels.

Would be nice to have a 20/30/40 and 180mm option
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy

Would be nice to have a 20/30/40 and 180mm option
    Agreed - the best part about the 94BCD is the option to run smaller middle chainrings (<30T), but I need this crank in a 180mm format.
    180mm outboard bearing cranks with the option to run 29T middle ring:
    -Mr Whirly
    -XTR M985
    I'm not aware of any other cranks that come in 180mm that can do this.

ballbuster

2.6 pounds?!?

Quote Originally Posted by love to pedal
    don't believe the weight, origin 8 says 800 grams,more like 2.6 pounds including bottom bracket.that's what mine weighs...lying bastards
    That's 1179 grams, according to Google metric conversion. Dayum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mlk3454
    After I do my taxes I am picking hopefully picking one up and putting 20/30/40 rings on. I will weigh it then. Would be nice to hear use reports though!
    Let us know what you end up with. Maybe adding the two new rings will save some weight.

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    The idea behind it is that with the use of 11-36/12-36 cassettes, you will be able to spend more time in the middle ring. You may ask "why" would it matter. From the perspective of someone that rides a full suspension, riding in the middle ring creates more chain tension than riding granny. The suspension stiffens out and climbs better. You remove a lot of chain tension when using the granny gear. Of course if you are a stonger rider, and a more avid rider, this crank would not make any sense. You lose gear inches with the decrease in chainring size, and replacement ring availability and options are shrunk significantly when you move away from a 104/64 BCD.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    1060 grams, actual weight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old2mtbike
    This is with bb or just crank/rings/bolts?

Ride report?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Includes bb, never rode it, sold it.

ballbuster

Fooey! I had high hopes

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2mtbike

mtbr member
    Wow, I dont need something a half pound heavier than what I have! I wonder if anyone else has one close to the advertised weight?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast