No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Origin 8 Scout 29er SS build complete

Got turned on to SS awhile back and fell in love. I picked the Origin 8 Scout frame up locally for a great price a few weeks ago and the build wrapped up today.

I had a bunch of parts from previous builds laying around, many of which I put to use here. It's not very bling, but seems functional. I've only been able to ride around the block since I just had my wisdom teeth removed and I'm not allowed to raise my heart rate yet.

My total out-of-pocket for this build comes in at $935 (including the King headsets I have such a weakness for, but not including parts I had laying around). I got the Minute used here on this site. It's sitting at 120 right now, which is probably too much for this frame. I debated using the black one off my Monk, but my wife insisted the white looked better.

This is an older steel frame and does have limited tire clearance. The Ignitor 2.1 is about all you can run. The wheelbase as built is about 44.5 inches.

Origin 8 Scout steel frame, size L
    Manitou Minute 120 TA fork
    Race Face cranks with Spot guide and Blackspire ring. Time Atac pedals
    Front: WTB DD with Laserdisc TA hub, Panaracer Rampage, ghetto tubeless
    Rear: WTB DD, Shimano hub, Maxxis Ignitor, ghetto tubeless, currently QR with two Surly tugs
    Avid BB5 discs

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Really nice bike for the money, enjoy.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Looks sweet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice bike! I hope you got some sort of in store credit. Looks like they forgot to send all of your gears!

Expert Crasher
    Nice! I'm in your camp - put the black fork on and put the 120 on the Monk.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Both forks are 120mm. After looking at 'em side by side, I hate to admit that my wife might be right. The white fork looks OK. Gonna be interesting to see how the bike handles with a 120mm fork. I suspect it's gonna be too much, but I plan on giving it a whirl to see.

Funny story. First time I threw a leg over the bike, I pulled up for a wheelie and went arse over teakettle because I couldn't get unclipped. The rear end of this thing is so short it's like a big BMX bike.

Can't wait to get out on the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You can always lower that fork to 100mm by using a spacer fwiw.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yes, I know. I have the spacer.

mtbr member
    Nice bike! I really like the origin 8 frame, I would love to build one up some day. How do you find the tire clearance in the back?

mtbr member
    Nice bike! Looks great - but yeah give that fork swap a try.

no fat chicks
    king headset on a junk 'n' bargains frame LOL
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I love your front yard shots. Looks like my hood in Glendale. Are your Ignitors still holding air? Mine were very loose on Bontrager rims. Watch the side walls. The don't like the rocks here too much.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Not sure I'd call it a junk frame; way to be a d1ck.

Bob: Very tight tire clearance in the rear. If you went larger than the 2.1 Ignitor, you'd have to move the wheel well back into the dropouts.

AZ: It's a Rampage up front with the Ignitor in the rear for clearance. Yep, I finally got the bead to seal after building up the rim bed. I'm not a huge fan of the tire, but then again, I ran a set on my Inbred out here for well over a year and no failures. We'll see.

dtheo
    Sep 2005

Junk

I have one. It's a great frame for the money even though it cracked. If not warrantied, then it will indeed be a piece of junk.
    I had a King HS on mine too. It's a contradiction but I had it lying around so why not.

DT

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    haha someone questioned me on the my king headset with my low end tektro hydro stoppers... basicly a "um those don't go together" kinda thing.. whatever

nice bike
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The headset is probably the only bling item on the bike. Hell, the shop where I buy most of my parts gave me a nice deal and installed it for me. Hard to pass up.

I've always been a little bit of a parts snob. I run nice Hope M4 hydros on my Monk. I ended up with these BB5s somehow, ended up running them on another SS and liked them so much I popped them on this build. I wouldn't run them on my FS bike, but I'm slow enough on an SS hardtail, that they do the job nicely.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Still can't go on a real ride, but I did take a quick jaunt down the hiking trail by my house. This rig is a manual/wheelie monster with the short rear stays. I'm almost certain 120 up front is going to be too much, but I'm gonna take it on at least one real ride before I decide to limit the travel.

And, putting it right next to my Monk, I do think the black fork is going to have to go on the Scout and the white on the Monk. I need to take the black one back apart anyway, as the 10-weight oil I put in there is WAY to heavy.

Couple more pics of my "stable." Interesting to see how different they really are.

Keep on Rockin...

Nice bikes...

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Still can't go on a real ride, but I did take a quick jaunt down the hiking trail by my house. This rig is a manual/wheelie monster with the short rear stays. I'm almost certain 120 up front is going to be too much, but I'm gonna take it on at least one real ride before I decide to limit the travel.

And, putting it right next to my Monk, I do think the black fork is going to have to go on the Scout and the white on the Monk. I need to take the black one back apart anyway, as the 10-weight oil I put in there is WAY to heavy.

Couple more pics of my "stable." Interesting to see how different they really are.

Are those Ardents on Stan's rims? If so how are they working out? Are the beads a tight fit? The Maxxis tires I had in the past were a loose fit.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yes, they're Ardents on Flows. The Ardents were the tightest bead I've ever seen. The Ignitor on the SS, on the other hand, was the loosest bead I've ever seen.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Yes, they're Ardents on Flows. The Ardents were the tightest bead I've ever seen. The Ignitor on the SS, on the other hand, was the loosest bead I've ever seen.
    +2, Ardent on Flow = Goodness.

Good call, black on the Scout, white on the Monk (will work well with the white graphics).
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    nice build! looks like you are running something like tugnuts on both sides, w/ a QR. Is that working ok? I'm trying to throw together parts to build up one of these (SS, carbon fork...), and wondering whether I can get buy without bolt on rear wheel. You think an Exiwolf would fit in the rear?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's an older steel skewer. With two tugs, it's fine. I wouldn't run it with just one. No way an exi would fit unless you run the wheel pretty far back in the dropout.