mtbr member
    Sep 2010

origin 8 scout 29er durability

Anybody have this bike ? Has it held up ? Any word on the new disc tabs located on the chain stays ? thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Anybody?

No word on these frames

Gen
    mtbr member
    I have one just recently built up. My friend has had the 2009 or 2010 version for a while now with no problems, he actually has 3 frames, 2 geared and 1 single speed. I'm 210lbs and run it as a single speed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thx

mtbr member
    I've been riding mine since fall of last year with no frame issues at all. I'm a clyde at 6'2" 270 lbs and i've had it in rocks, roots and just about everything else I can throw at it. So far, so good.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

Disabled Vet
    Guitar Ted did a series of write ups on it on his blog and twentynineinches.com,without having to go through buttloads of posts,I did find a beginning on it here...

http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com...eal-short.html

Hope that helps (I'm considering building one up myself,cause the 2 29er SS's I have don't beat the formula for needing one more than I have )
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ive had mine for a few weeks now and I love it, Its really responsive and seems to be holding up really well.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    Guitar Ted did a series of write ups on it on his blog and twentynineinches.com,without having to go through buttloads of posts,I did find a beginning on it here...

http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com...eal-short.html

Hope that helps (I'm considering building one up myself,cause the 2 29er SS's I have don't beat the formula for needing one more than I have )
    Just thought I'd post on my experiences.

I liked it best with a 465-470mm axle to crown fork. It just rips single track with a fork that length, and about the "normal" offset- 44-46mm.

I don't care for all the fiddly-ness of the track ends/brake mount/tensioners. I am spoiled by the other, less fiddly ways of doing single speed bikes. May be just me.

The real issue with mine is that the seat stays were welded on at un-equal length, canting the rear wheel towards the non-drive side. Until I get that resolved, I won't be riding it.

Nothing else is really wrong with it, and the bike is a blast to ride in single track. I think it would hold up well for most riders, on the order of a Karate Monkey, for instance. If you get one with a straight alignment, you'll be golden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thank you. I was thinking of building up this frame as a geared bike with a free used reba I got. In the future I thought of adding some braze ons or drilling some holes to the rear end and having a budget fargo/troll frame. Just wondering if folks would trust this frame for such an activity?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Anyone with more (recent) feedback?

I was able to pick up the most recent version of this frame with the disc tabs on the chain stay. It also is slightly out of rear end alignment like others have mentioned with the wheel off-center towards the non-drive side. I won't know how bad until the finalize the drivetrain, but it doesn't appear bad enough for me not to give it whirl.

Does anyone have more recent feedback after they've ridden theirs for a while? I'm planning to go 2x9 since I need my gears. Comments Scout 29er riders?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    At the moment I'm waiting on word whether they'll warranty my 2009 frame or not. Big crack in the seat tube, emanating both ways from the seatpost cutout.

I ride it with a 465mm fork but it's way too quick-steering for me. Constantly overcorrecting on singletrack.

Can't beat the price though

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the update Flanman. How much seatpost did you have inserted? I'm curious that the seattube stressed at that location. It sounds more like a lateral stress from the way you describe it. If you don't mind me asking - how much do you weigh?

I'm building up a steel 29er (with gears and front suspension) - either a Origin 8 Scout or Raleigh XXIX+G. I am still undecided but through strange luck have both frames available. Both are new and unused. The Raleigh is lighter by almost a pound, has cleaner welds, smaller, more traditional tubing, and a gusseted downtube. The Scout is beefier (but maybe not stronger) but I like the potential for shorter chain stays and it also appears it will have a more sloping top tube once built. It will likely also have a slightly shorter wheelbase. Origin8 doesn't give full geometry numbers anywhere I saw since they provided the frame only. Wheelbase would depend on what fork I use. From the feedback I have gotten - it should be quicker steering than the XXIX. I don't typically wear out my frames as my riding is not too aggressive and I weigh 175. Still not sure which one to hang the parts on...

Anyone have more thoughts or feedback?

mtbr member
    I have the 2008 Aluminum frame version of the scout that I have been riding ss rigid for 3 yrs now with no issues. I am always on the look out for another frame with similar geo just in case of a failure but to be honest, this bike has turned into my favorite ride so I hope it holds up! I am surprised that only custom manufacturers offer this kind of geo. It is such a fun and flickable bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have the 2008 steel version and have several cracks at the top of the seat tube, but I believe these are due to manufacturing errors. There are cracks along the drive side seat tube welds, which caused the rear wheel to turn from the drive side; annoying, but doesn't affect handling for me. Eventually (I believe) these led to lateral cracks near the seat post clamp, but I'm sure my seat post height had a lot to due with this as well. The diagonal piece of tubing between the seat tube and top tube has minor cracks on the drive side cracks, and I can see why it was put there. Hopefully it'll be warrantied.

This frame (2008) handles like a dream, and there isn't a steel frame that comes close in its price. The seat post angle and low seat tube are its biggest weaknesses. The new frame seems to be a good mix of what they got right in 2008 without what they got wrong in 2010.
    Suspension and gears are the bastion of the proletariat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Poorboy and KodiakBear. From the comments everyone is leaving about the ride and handling -- I think I'll build up the Scout and give it a try. I don't have too much seat post exposed on my other bikes, so hopefully my seat tube will hold up for a while.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Using a 400mm+ seatpost will help distribute the seat loading throughout the seat tube, instead of a concentrated load at the top. You'll more than likely need a 27.2/29.8 shim to do this.
    Suspension and gears are the bastion of the proletariat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm not sure how significant the seat tube 'bend' was in the 2008 versions - but my 2010/2011 version has a notable bend (more like joint) in the seat tube. I don't think an extremely long post will slide down past the 'bend' if you removed the water bottle bolts. That said, a 350-400 mm seatpost would get a lot of the load distributed. Also - I'm pretty sure my seat tube already requires a 27.2 --- I'll have to double check as that's all I have available.

Quote Originally Posted by KodiakBear View Post
    Using a 400mm+ seatpost will help distribute the seat loading throughout the seat tube, instead of a concentrated load at the top. You'll more than likely need a 27.2/29.8 shim to do this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails origin 8 scout 29er durability-scout-29er.jpg