mtbr member

Origin 8 scout 29 geometry vs Voodoo Dambala

I've been thinking about doing a budget 29er build for a while, and have narrowed it down to either the Origin-8 Scout29 or the Voodoo Dambala. I like both bikes, I was pretty much set on the Dambala until I heard about the Scout 29. I like the short chain stays of the Scout29, but my MTB riding friend brought up an interesting point about it's geometry:

As for the origin, remember that you don't want TOO MUCH weight over the back wheel. Your goal is not to have as much weight on the back wheel as possible when climbing (that'll make you wheelie - and force you to lean hard on your handle bars) or descending (the front end will get light and slide out side ways. That was something I learned at the bike course, I ride too far back and don't have enough weight on my front wheel, which causes a lot of my crashes). Given that so much else on the bike is going to be an unknown for you (like how the wheels will actually handle), I'd stick with a more traditional geometery (just like dialing in your bike, it is all about gradual changes to make sure you like what you get, and can pin down what you don't like to specific things).
    Do you think this is a valid concern with the Origin 8? I want to build up a good general purpose mountain bike for crashing around in the woods. The trail conditions vary a lot around here in Ottawa, from really technical single track in Kanata Lakes to long steep climbs and descents in Gatineau park.

In case you guys and gals were wondering about the origin 8, I got in contact with Chris Dupuis from Origin 8 about the Scout29. Apparently it's built around a 465mm axle to crown and a 43mm offset with a 80mm fork. Looks like it's perfect fit for the new RST M29! (Too bad the M29's price has been going up and up.)

HTFU and Ride
    I have a Voodoo OTW from Jenson and I will post a ride review as soon as I build it up
    Winter is coming.

trail rat
    Search "origin 8 scout"; a number of posters like them, but I'm not sure how steep their terrain might be. Rear tire clearance is limited, if you want big meat. That frame would not work for me in coastal CA, for the reasons your friend states, but I love the looks of it. Maybe some Scout owners will pipe up?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie