shining bright

Orbea Lanza Comp - any thoughts?

I have an opportunity to pick one of these up, just don't know much about Orbeas. From what I can tell they seem like a pretty good bike company.

I have a couple of things I'm not sure of. The person selling doesn't know whether it is a 2009 or 2010 model, and also does not know the "trim level" so to speak. He says he bought it new in February of this year and paid $1600. Judging from the prices I could find of new Lanza models, this seems to be the "Comp" trim level.

The pictures of it show it having a mostly flat black frame with some red and white. The 2010 Lanza does not seem to even come in a Comp model; at least I didn't see one on the website. I thought it may be a 2009, but the Comp for 2009 is a brown color. They have one that looks like his bike, but it seems to be the "Team" model which has a price tag of around $2800.

The rims, seat post, and forks on the one in his pictures match the "comp" trim level for 2009, so that's what I am assuming it is. Maybe it has a color option I am not seeing - I'm not sure.

Any case, this is what will come with it:

Cateye
    $100 pedals - he didn't say what brand
    aftermarket grips

He says it has around 300-400 miles on it. If the bike is the comp trim level, the Orbea 2009 catalog lists the features as about 28 lbs, Avid juicy 3's (which the reviews didn't look too hot) and a Rockshox Tora fork. Not sure about the fork or the brakes. It was suggested to me that I get an air fork because of my weight - 235. I'm not sure if this is an air fork. Anybody know?

He wants $1000 for the bike and said I'm welcome to test ride anytime. I feel like it may be a good deal on a decent 29er. I don't do extreme DH or anything, just beginner-intermediate XC. I'm cureently riding a 32 lb 1988+/- Bianchi Alante, with no suspension.

Since it was suggested to me to go ahead an buy a complete bike instead of building, I have been trying to find something. I do intend to test ride, I just want to know of anything i should look for while doing so. Is it worth a look?

mtbr member
    my wife enjoys her Lanza a lot. Its a very polished frame, I think the same frame for all of the aluminum based Lanza models. Built with mid range parts its 25lbs. Not shabby at all. If its in good shape, $1000 seems fair and and decent deal.

shining bright
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster
    my wife enjoys her Lanza a lot. Its a very polished frame, I think the same frame for all of the aluminum based Lanza models. Built with mid range parts its 25lbs. Not shabby at all. If its in good shape, $1000 seems fair and and decent deal.
    From what I saw it looks like the alloy frame (7005 aluminum) is the same across the different Lanza trim levels - aside from the carbon frame ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    according to user rewievs the lanza frame has mud clearance issues. It can handle not biger than 2.0 tires

shining bright
    From what I read this all seems to be resolved after around 2007 or so. I may be wrong though.