mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Orbea Lanza 29er, 2009 and 2010 tire clearance

My old Lanza from 2008 broke the other day and I will probably get a new one on warranty. My old frame did suffer of really bad tire clearance. 2.2 is about absolute maximum.

I read somewhere that Orbea had fixed this problem for later models and increased the tire clearence. Does anyone know if thatís true for 2009 or 2010 models?

Thanks!

Stalle

mtbr member
    I ride a 2010 Lanza, with 2.1 Pythons and the space between chaintay and tyre is, more or less, 1cm wide.

I'll post some pics of the area later.
    Tommy:It's for protection.
    Turkish:Protection from what . . . zee Germans?
    veintinuevepulgadas

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ok, it seems to be a little bit more than what I got.

I'll go up in the attic to measure the width later.

Thank you, keep me/us posted!

Stalle

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    67mm at the seat stays and 64mm at the chain stays it is. Measured where the tires are widest.

Stalle

mtbr member
    Crappy pics, sorry:

Hope it helps!
    veintinuevepulgadas

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Looks like there is a little bit more clearence yours then on mine. What fram size is it?

But that's not enough I think. Hmmmm... to bad! I love the bikes handeling and characteristics but the bad tire clearence is a bummer.

Stalle

mtbr member
    It's a 20".
    veintinuevepulgadas

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The sizing changed btw 2007 and 2008 so before you say send me another large, make sure you actually had a 2008.

I had a 2007 and loved to ride it but the chainstay clearance was a problem. Haven't measured, but have a friend with a 2009 and it is still a problem. You will still have to be careful with tire selection.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riding29
    The sizing changed btw 2007 and 2008 so before you say send me another large, make sure you actually had a 2008.

I had a 2007 and loved to ride it but the chainstay clearance was a problem. Haven't measured, but have a friend with a 2009 and it is still a problem. You will still have to be careful with tire selection.
    I'm sure it's a 2008.

They have made changes to the frame from 2008 to 2010. My geometry table for the 2008 frame differs from the 2010 table.

My 2008 have a effective top tube length of 620mm and the 2010 is measured 629mm according to Orbeas home page. So the frame is changing. Too bad they don't bother fix the tight tire clearance.

:-(

Stalle

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Stalle
    I'm sure it's a 2008.

They have made changes to the frame from 2008 to 2010. My geometry table for the 2008 frame differs from the 2010 table.

My 2008 have a effective top tube length of 620mm and the 2010 is measured 629mm according to Orbeas home page. So the frame is changing. Too bad they don't bother fix the tight tire clearance.

:-(

Stalle
    you're right - the geometry did change again. I'd ask the orbea rep if they changed anything else on the frame. I like that red black white color scheme too. Also noticed that they had 2008 closeout frames advertised on their website which they might use for the warranty replacement.

sort of curious where it broke? if you read the threads they all break so the best way to judge a brand seems to be customer service. you are about to experience that.

there are other frames out there in a similar price range that do have better clearance and also have those nice short chainstays. I was assuming that you had some sort of loyalty towards your brand so I refrained from other suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No, i'm not a Orbea fan. I like the bike alot thou (except the clearence issue).

But a new frame on warranty is no cost and any frame else is (even if it's cheap) money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riding29
    sort of curious where it broke?
    Right chain stay, just rear of the weld to the little support stay for the both chain stays.

The stay is not of, it's a crack stretching 1/3 of the stay.

Stalle