Thread: Orbea

ol'guy who says hi &waves

Orbea

Anyone using an Orbea? My local LBS is picking up the line. I have a FS that I race occasionally and a SS that's getting a little tough on this 52 yr.old. I think a geared 29 may be just what I need on speedy singletrack. I dunno. Any comments?

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Complete Bikes for 2006

Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog
    Anyone using an Orbea? My local LBS is picking up the line. I have a FS that I race occasionally and a SS that's getting a little tough on this 52 yr.old. I think a geared 29 may be just what I need on speedy singletrack. I dunno. Any comments?

The owner of the shop I work at has been riding one this year. He loves it! He likes beating up on all his buddies while they ride their 26" wheel dualies.

The company has been nothing but top notch to deal with and for next year they have addressed a one of the issues that creep up with a lot of 29"ers - tire clearance. I have not seen any issues on his, but he runs Kendas (No way Exi's would fit).

If you want a nice light hardtail that won't beat you up go for it! Orbea still has a few 19" frames left.

For 2006 they are offering two build options XT or X9 both with a Reba fork! In addition to frame only.

mtbr member

Great bikes!

I have owned an Orbea 26er HT, a roadie and my wife still has a roadie and they are all great bikes for sure! I also rode an Orbea 29er a couple of times last Fall - the 05 model. It handled really well and the geometry was just right for me in the 17" I believe. (They have a longish TT which I prefer.) Their paint jobs are top shelf and it's a lightweight for sure. BTW, I rode it with a White Brothers .8 which was fine. The demo I rode had XT V-brakes but I will say that the only issue I ever had with my 26er was facing the disc tabs properly. I wouldn't have thought anything of it had I not heard another similar report but the tabs were not faced well at all from the factory? Any good shop will have the tools tho take care of this and it's not that big of a deal but worth considering if in fact you build one up. I'd like to get an 06 next Spring. Truly great bikes, I highly recommend them

mtbr member

tire clearance

There's been a few threads discussing the Orbea frame here, a search will turn those threads up. Of particular interest, I remember reading that there was mention of changes to the frame for the '06 model in enhancing tire clearance (which was an issue for the '05 models). Be aware of that if its true ...

mtbr member

Orbea-where?

None of my LBSs carry Orbea, but I'd really like to check out their 29er, specifically their frame. Anyone know of online shops that sell them? Searching hasn't turned up any good leads for me. Thanks

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by grodo
    None of my LBSs carry Orbea, but I'd really like to check out their 29er, specifically their frame. Anyone know of online shops that sell them? Searching hasn't turned up any good leads for me. Thanks

If you are in the ArkLaTex, I know River City Cycles carries them. Talk to Ian Webb.

http://www.rivercitycycling.com/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My LBS tells me that 60 Orbea 29er frames are being shipped from Spain to arrive North America the last week of September.

I have been waiting and waiting and waiting......

Dr. Frost

06 tire clearance

I thought I read in Dirt Rag that the 06 frame will have more tire clearance.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    The winner of most of the races of the 30-39 expert class in the AMBCS is on an ORBEA 29er. And the exclusive importer is located here in Arkansas. Locally in Arkansas Chainwheel bike shop carries them. They may have internet sales of ORBEAs, but I'm not sure. Competitive Cyclist has some sweet Salsa Dos Niners, very nice rides.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

mtbr member

Orbea USA

Actually, they are not just a distributor. Orbea USA actually has part ownership in the company as far as I understand. I only mention that because that it bodes well for us here in the US. They have input on design that other Eurpean distributors might not have? For example, the tire clearance issue was supposedly resolved via input from the US market. (They might have even had a 29er available in Europe last year?) Anyway, my dealings with those guys were very positive and that's on top of their great bikes-

BTW, someone posted pics of the new 06 29er about a week ago. I looked but could not find it. If anyone has those now would be a good time to drop them into this thread.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by heenan
    He likes beating up on all his buddies while they ride their 26" wheel dualies.
    It's definitley the wheels? This is the kind of nonsense that makes me laugh about the 29er cult.
    "Do not touch the trim"