mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Orange Gyro 1x10

I'm thinking of running my Gyro 1x10 with a 34t front chainring and a MRP 1x chainguide. Will the 34t chainring fit or will it interfere with the pivot? Thanks!

Not Bad
    It shouldn't interfere, if you try a 34T and running it on the outside of the spider. Your CG should be able to accommodate this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I will run it in the middle ring position. According to Orange, there are no problems with converting to 1x10 on any of their models so hopefully the pivot won't mash up my chainring as it moves.

Not Bad
    Yes, I meant on the outside of the middle ring position on the spider rather than run it inboard.

Just let all the air out the shock and test at full compression before you go for your first ride, just to make sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Speaking of shocks, do you feel like the Fox rear on the Gyro has a too linear compression? I'm currently just fettling with the adjustments to make the shock ride higher in its travel in descend mode instead of blowing through it all. After I put all my upgrades on my Gyro, expect some pictures!

Not Bad
    Looking forward to seeing them!

I have a 2012 non-CTD Fox RP23 Factory Kashima on mine so I find it fine BUT I have ridden quite a few bikes with the CTD shock on recently and I find them a pain with the dumbed down CTD settings. Descent was too soft and trail too harsh. I am currently considering getting a RS shock for mine but we'll see what happens there...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah, CTD is utter BS. Maybe a Rock Shox Monarch Plus? Do they have it in 165mm? And of course the incredibly sexy Pike up front

Not Bad
    Unfortunately it's not coming in that size, I know, I looked! LOL

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I really want to try X-Fusion on my Gyro. They apparently have some really great options that unlike some Fox forks, actually resist brake dive and bottoming out when you ride of a curb.

Not Bad
    I had a Trace on order but cancelled because they can't deliver the one-peice steerer and gold anodised coating which initially attracted me. I'd still go for one over a Fox at the moment but when the RS Pikes were announced last week they're everything I'm looking for in terms of a fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    There is still a few ways off, the Pike won't be released until 2014. I think I'm just looking forward to DVO's enduro and 29" offerings that hopefully will be released in the next five years. If they make one in the first place.

Not Bad
    I hadn't realised that they're not released until then! Damnit! Lol

There's always next year.
    It is a "2014" model, but should be out soonish. From the article on pinkbike about the the new Pike: "Availability: May, 2013"

Granted, thats worth about nothing, but I'm hoping for that release date to be the case, as my current bike could benefit from a fork upgrade...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Considering they announced it, it will probably be released in May. Fingers crossed it will be a good fork!

Not Bad
    Yeah I thought it was May, got mine on provisional order so we'll see when they turn up...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just ordered some volume spacers for my Fox rear shock to make it slightly more progressive through its travel Can't wait! Hopefully, it will magnify the Gyro's relentless, bullet-like speed!

Not Bad
    That's great, let me know how you get on please!