Thread: Opinions wanted

mtbr member

Opinions wanted

So here is the scoop, I am 6' 230lb with a 34" inseam. I ride about 5 days a week, usually early in the mornings before work. The trails I ride most often are steep, rocky and technical up then steep, rocky and technical back down usually between 5-10mi and 700 to 2000' elevation. At least twice a month I will go on a longer trail ride like Brown Mountain, Waldo Lake, Mckenze River Trail, NUT ect. Once or twice a week in the evenings we do a shuttle run which is about 7mi long with 2400' down, the trail is very soft and the golf ball to cantaloupe sized rocks in spots move in the soft soil...very tricky in sections.

I am currently riding a 2013 Giant Trance X0 29er with a little wider bars and a 2.5 Minion DHF and a 2.4 Ardent on the rear. I am really impressed with the spec(except for the stock gearing in the front) I absolutely love the way the Trance pedals and climbs both in and out of the saddle. My issue with the Trance is the noodle 120mm Fox Float in the front and the flexy frame! I can feel the fork flexing in the rocky sections when I have any speed and it just won't hold a line. Not to mention the 130ish travel in the rear and 120 front just seems odd to me. After a lot of thinking, my options are as follows.

1) Replace the fork with a 140mm travel and minimum 34mm stanchion. Replace the front chainrings to get a descent granny gear. Hopefully this will take care of some issues but I still have a flexy frame.

2) Sell the Trance and look at a slacker and stiffer bike. My front runners are a Stumpy Evo, Kona Satori, Banshee Prime and an Enduro.

What are your thoughts? I am hesitant to throw more money at the Trance and still have a flexy frame on the other hand I would hate to throw more money an another bike and not like it. The local shop only demo's Santa Cruz and other shops in the area don't have the same terrain as we do.

mtbr member
    IMHO money spent on a fork when you are questioning the frame is $$$$ that should be spent on a bike that you will be happier with. My answer would be for #2. I sold my hei hei a couple years back for the same reason, and although it was a good bike, I am extremely pleased.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

Formerly of Kent

Opinions wanted

Money says its wheel or tire flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Interesting, from what I have read the Giant wheels on the X0 and hubs(DT 240) have a reputation for being solid. What wheel set would you recommend for a hard charging clyde?

mtbr member
    My current fork is a 2013 Fox CTD fit with 32mm stanchions and a 15mm axle. The rear is a QR 135 which is, in my opinion, part of the issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey View Post
    Interesting, from what I have read the Giant wheels on the X0 and hubs(DT 240) have a reputation for being solid. What wheel set would you recommend for a hard charging clyde?
    Wide carbon....

Also is your fork a 15mm through axle or QR?

mtbr member
    My current fork is a 2013 Fox CTD fit with 32mm stanchions and a 15mm axle. The rear is a QR 135 which is, in my opinion, part of the issue.
    Put a 10mm through bolt on the back and FEEL the difference

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Second that!

Short-Change-Hero
    One thing that you have to remember, you are considered a clyde and most bikes are not designed for you. While companies will build larges and x-larges they really build them based around their riders so you are looking at a guy that could be 6'4" with a 34" inseam but only weighs in at 190ish lbs. From everything I have been reading, the FOX 32 forks are known to be noodly in technical sections seemingly meant more for XC riding without much "gnar" thrown in there. Add to that the possibility that you have very nice hubs on your bike but the rims and build of the wheels are not meant for someone your size on that bike will add for a noodly feel.

Might be time to try some different bikes to see what you do and don't like about them. I know that the new Trance SX (only 650b I believe) is set on a more AM/Enduro format so you are looking at a 160mm front/130mm rear with all the bells and whistles. That might give you a better idea of things to come. Amazingly it looks like Giant got ride of the Trance in the 29er format this year and is strictly looking at the 27.5" for that bike (only 29ers in their performance range are the Anthem series and XTc series).

If you like the way the bike rides for the most part then putting a beefier, longer travel fork on it with some better wheels cannot be a bad thing. If worse comes to worse, you can always buy another bike (depending on budget) and throw the upgrade fork and wheels on it. But if you are upgrading then I would look at something that is known to be a burly long travel 29er fork and then seriously look at wider rims, of which many of the new carbon AM rims are starting to hit good price points!.....
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Great information so far, thank you!

mtbr member
    I have been doing some research and can't find a 10mm through bolt conversion. Does one exist and if so can you point me in the right direction? Am I looking for a 10mm through bolt that replaces the QR skewer?

Edit - I am assuming this is what I need but will I also need new end caps for the hub?

DT Swiss - RWS Thru bolt

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Not sure why Niner no longer shows this build option for their Rip 9, but this could be a good option for you to consider. The Fox 34 TALAS was a very impressive fork and it eats babyheads for breakfast. I had one on test for about a month earlier this year. Superb bike for the rough stuff.

Niner RIP 9 4-Star X01 Complete Mountain Bike - 2014 | Competitive Cyclist

Also check out the Enduro 29er Comp. They run about $3,500, and have a nice RS Pike up front. Bombs away!

mtbr member
    I have been doing some research and can't find a 10mm through bolt conversion. Does one exist and if so can you point me in the right direction? Am I looking for a 10mm through bolt that replaces the QR skewer?

Edit - I am assuming this is what I need but will I also need new end caps for the hub?

DT Swiss - RWS Thru bolt
    Do you have DT Swiss hubs?

There are several 10mm through bolts...they all work well.

First you need to determine if your hub can be converted.

mtbr member
    It is a Giant hub made by DT Swiss, from what I gather it is the same as a DT 240. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    It is a Giant hub made by DT Swiss, from what I gather it is the same as a DT 240. Thanks for the help.
    Easy and cheap fix..........

Just last week I converted my buddies SS to a 9mm through bolt front and 10mm rear. He was blown away on how much stiffer the bike is and it also got rid of an annoying squeak.

mtbr member
    Easy and cheap fix..........

Just last week I converted my buddies SS to a 9mm through bolt front and 10mm rear. He was blown away on how much stiffer the bike is and it also got rid of an annoying squeak.
    Was the bolt I found above the correct one for the rear? Does it require end caps on the hub? I can't find much info. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Was the bolt I found above the correct one for the rear? Does it require end caps on the hub? I can't find much info. Thanks.
    Yes that will work perfect........you also need these.......

Amazon.com : DT Swiss Rear Conversion Kit for QR to 10mm Thru Bolt : Bike Hubs : Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Awesome, thank you.

Now that I have a few relatively inexpensive fixes, what is everybody's thoughts and suggestions on a stiffer, slacker bike?
    Last edited by ACLakey; 07-31-2014 at 08:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thank you.

Now that I have a few relatively inexpensive fixes, what is everybody's thoughts and suggestions on a stiffer, slacker bike?
    I don't know.......sounds like you have a good bike there...
    Giant Trance X 29er Full Suspension Reviews - Mtbr.com
    2013 Giant Trance X 29er | Mountain Bike Review

Maybe a longer travel fork?

mtbr member
    I went with a Transition Covert 29

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk