mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Opinions/advice Great condition RIP 9 or new $3-3.5K new??

I have the opportunity to purchase a very well maintained 2011 RIP 9, spec'd well with a 2012 Kashima Talas, Hope/Flow wheels, NEW, just installed XT 2x10 drivetrain, Thomson bits, and Stroker ACE brakes (though if I don't dig them, I could pull the XT Ice off current ride) for mid 2k range. I am curious what the opinions here are when comparison shopping that vs a 2013 Satori, SJ FSR, Remedy 29? The newer bikes will run about a grand more, the drivetrain will be a step down to SLX. I have looked at these long enough that the gray matter is numb. Maybe some objective advice would help clear the fog. Thanks in advance for weighing in.

BTW, I am 6'1" by 245, ride mostly Smoky or Ozark mtn singletrack.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The biggest thing you have to consider is how comfortable are you not having a warranty?

Had this guy bought used, he'd be screwed:So.. Am I the first? Cracks on the new Rev. RIP

I'm of an opinion that unless you're getting a great deal, saving just a little going used isn't worth it, but that's me.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Happy Trails

Opinions/advice Great condition RIP 9 or new $3-3.5K new??

Pics would help, but I think that sounds about right as long as "mid" means 2300. IMO it is a fair deal at about 60% price of new and a good deal at about 50% of new. Is it a size Large? And is it the bike you want? If so, my opinion is that you should pay for a tune up to have it checked out, then you can be pretty confident. The last factor is how much does the grand mean to you? If you can only afford 2000 and are stretching to 2500, then this is a much better bike than you can afford new. In that case, pull the trigger. If you can afford to get the bike you want, well.... In a free market you usually get what you pay for, but maybe you should go for a new bike that is exactly what you want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Aside from price considerations, have you got test rides on those bikes? They will all ride quite differently-there is quite a range of suspension designs and geometries in those options. None of them are going to be bad but they will be different...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You should buy my ellsworth instead
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I appreciate the feedback, and having broken a SJ 29 SS frame, I am leary about not having a warranty. I have ridden the Satori in Bentonville AR at the Slaughter Pen trails and my local trail. Giggled like a school girl the whole time, and average more than a mph faster than on my 2010 SC BlurLT. I know the Kona uses a faux-bar suspension (same as Yeti?) But I don't know that it seemed any less efficient in pedaling. Love the SLX brakes (have the XT on my Blur.) Really would like to try the SJ FSR 29 and the Fuel EX8 to see if there is a preference between the two. I do believe that for my riding the Remedy may be overkill.