mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Opinion New SS: C'dale trail SS vs Gen1 Chumba HX2?

Hi All,

First let me say for all those who wish the bag Chumba as a company, this is a thread about a product comparison not about the company's customer service.

I'm going to upgrade my SS Bike. Currently i have a Haro Ally, nice enough but not really a frame that I feel has a lot of upgrade potential, i just think is would be better spending the upgrade $$$ I have on a nicer, high quality option.

The 2 i have to choose from are a Chumba HX2 frame only, versus a complete Cannondale Trail SL3 SS.

I am asking for opinions on what everyone thinks would be the better of these two options. I'm partial to the Cannondale as i already have a Flash alloy geared 29, But the Chumba frame is about 60% of the cost of the complete Trail SL3, and i would be upgrading it as i went, so The main difference is left over part from the trail and a ridable bike while a upgrade against a frame that have to wait for the bit to added before i can use it.

So I guess this is a request about what people think of the frame's ride, quality, features/benefit etc, rather than a brand comparison. As i said a the start i want to talk about the bike not what people think of the companies themselves.

Andrew (Ozbikebuddy)
    29er you just know when ur ready!!!!

mtbr member
    Don't know much (anything) about the Chumba, but I have an 11 Trail SL3 SS and really like it (I also have a Flash 29er, so as you can tell, I'm also partial to Cannondale and thus probably biased).
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    sandyeggo, a little more on the sl3? i know someone who just got a large (i need medium), but reported so far loving it...but they've only begun rigid riding, so not alot for them to compare to...

i'm partial to GT and Giant, but neither now (i believe) offers a ss rigid. all i have are my two GT Peace 9rs....love them, but a little heavy.

really intrigued by the aluminum fork...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well wot i have had

Well its time for the blinglespeed on a budget!
    I have a 2 different model GT Peace (gen1 v-brake and the more recent matt green), and an On-one inbred (which was unfortunately a little small).

Now a want something nice that can become a long termer but option with a reasonable price here in Oz are rare, think double U.S. prices fro a Niner frame and the many places wont ship here for a reasonable amount so that kills many other options too.

Well need to clear out the Haro 1st anyway so i have a cpl of options there and what i recover from it will help a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I wouldn't be the right person to ask about what a good bike is. I have a '11 cdale 29er that I bought last month. I've only put less than 20 miles on her, but I like it.

Had some issues out the box with the crank. The lbs changed/serviced the ebb, crank ring & chain.

Stock was 33x20. It's now 34x20 w/a race face crank ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UBUgoat View Post
    sandyeggo, a little more on the sl3? i know someone who just got a large (i need medium), but reported so far loving it...but they've only begun rigid riding, so not alot for them to compare to...

i'm partial to GT and Giant, but neither now (i believe) offers a ss rigid. all i have are my two GT Peace 9rs....love them, but a little heavy.

really intrigued by the aluminum fork...
    I'm not exactly sure what detail you are looking for, but in general I would say that I really like the way it feels -- despite having the stock wheels she's still really light and fast. Can't imagine how it would feel with a new set of wheels on her.

As far as the fork goes, I was a bit worried about the aluminum being way too harsh. Either I'm just not an observant person, or the harshness of aluminum is exaggerated as I haven't found anything negative about it. In comparison to my rigid Redline 'Cog (which is all steel), the SL3 is "louder" than the the steel and while noticeable its not like my teeth have all fallen out after riding it.

Of my two SS rigid bikes I have, I would pick the Trail for the fast, smooth stuff and I would pick the Monocog for just about everything else. And if forced to pick only one, the $450 cheapo, heavy as all get out Monocog would be the one I'd pick -- the geo just "feels right" and I really like the steel.

Now that said, I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Trail. I personally think it is definitely upgradeable and could be built into a really light, nice handling machine. The only knock I've heard is the EBB, but then every EBB I've read about people have complained about. I haven't had any issues with mine yet but I've only owned since November-ish.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    2013 Santa Cruz Solo C
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyeggo View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what detail you are looking for....
    thanks....no, that helps alot...i really love my two GT Peace 9rs (one has the EBB...no problems so far) and one with the track ends. yeah, heavy, but i've raced one of them on countless rugged pennsylvania (and delaware) trails...rigid all the way. but it's time to go light...and that's why i've been considering this. since i am already a rigid mutant, i figure the jump to aluminum won't be too crazy.

appreciate the insights

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Chumba! Way more chi-chi, go for the bling!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Maybe I shouldconcentrate on the costs then

From what i see it comes dowm to the frame and the set up of a susp fork or not.

Rigid- maybe a the Cannondale trail

Susp- the Chumba.

The big thing is getting rid of the Haro, if I can do that I can over the cost of the Chumba frame, i already have rims and Hubs and a 15mm Suntour Epicron (which needs to be tweaked for my 120kg. So that could be a leaning toward the Chumba I think