mtbr member

Onza Canis 2.25: Tubeless Ready

This is not exactly a review, more like a user experience of the tires with regards to the tubeless setup and ride quality on the trail. Do note that my experiences with the Canis only relates to it's usage as a front tire.

The Canis 2.25 was shown to the world earlier at Eurobike 2011. Onza had a series of tyres in the 26er game, ranging from the weight-weenie Lynx Light, to the Canis, to the Ibex. After much testing, they finally released their Canis model in a 29er outfit. The Canis 29er comes in one size, the 2.25 version, and in 2 compounds, the 120 tpi version and the 60 tpi version which weighs 50g more.

The Canis 29er features a 65a center thread and a 55a side thread in it's advertised "RC2 dual compound system" . The tire thread actually looks a lot like a Racing Ralph, except that the rectangular "center knob" on the Ralph is replaced by a X-shaped knob on the Canis.

Cute little Canis paws throughout the tire

I only purchased one tire with the intention of running it on the front of my Monkey, my rigid steel 29er singlespeed, after my front Racing Ralph 2.4 EVO's bead broke during tubeless setup on my ZTR Crest 29ers. I wanted to go for something with a stronger bead and less porous, thicker side walls this time. The Onza Canis 2.25 120tpi Tubeless Ready tires fit the bill at only 700g, 60g heavier than the RR 2.4 .

When the tire arrived in the mail, I excitedly un-packaged it and quickly got a first-time feel of the tire. The bead felt very strong and the sidewalls were about 2-3x as thick as the RR 2.4. Despite being a folding tire, I could make the tire stand on the floor like a wirebead tire. I think this really shows the rigidity of the bead.

Mounting the tire on the Crest was a considerably easy process, though it didn't fit loose and required the usage of a tire lever to fit in place. I pumped the tires up to 30 psi(no sealant in the tires yet, only yellow tape) to sit the bead.

Amazing! The tire didn't lose air rapidly like the Racing Ralphs and Stan's The Crow. In fact, I was able to leave the inflated tire for 15 minutes, come back and have it still standing firm against the wall at perhaps around 10-15 psi left. Wow! Also, I managed to use only a floor pump to inflate the tires.

I then added sealant to the tires. This time, I only added 1 oz of sealant. The tires sealed up very rapidly. It was very non-porous to start with. In fact, I think I could have done with less sealant but I decided to leave it that way.

Well, the ease of the tubeless setup with the Canis just struck me. Even with "tubeless ready" tires like The Crow, I would have to spend some time doing the "Stan's dance" to get everything to seal up nicely. True that I haven't tried other tires yet, but the Canis definitely gets a tick in my list for ease of tubeless conversion.

As for tyre width, I didn't manage to procure a vernier caliper for the measurement of the true size of it but I will just go ahead and say that it is only slightly smaller than the Racing Ralph 2.4. The again, the tire was brand new. It's profile should expand over time.

I'll get more pictures in there soon once I get back to my desktop. Meanwhile, these are the only pictures I have of it in my flickr.

bikerpilot
    Any long term feedback on these? Puncture resistance? Sidewalls stand up well to rocks?

I will likely end up with a pair coming stock on my next bike, and while they're too heavy for my liking for normal use, I'm wondering if I should hang on to them for rocky races where flats and sidewall tears are common or ditch them for a pair of Snakeskin Racing Ralphs or Ikon EXOs.

(This thread may now belong in the components forum.)
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

bikerpilot
    One more bump. Anyone have any ride time on these?
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

I'm with stupid
    I didnt even know Onza was still around. My first set of "clipless" pedals were the onzas.

bikerpilot
    I think it's the same name but a different company now. Or something like that.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Where's the Rip and Rail in 29"?!?!

mtbr member

Canis

Love them! Excellent grip. Excellent tubeless setup. Runs perfectly true!

Onza Canis 2.25: Tubeless Ready-sawyer.jpegOnza Canis 2.25: Tubeless Ready-image.jpg

Ride Everything
    Just started testing them on my rigid 29er.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Just A Mountain Biker.
    How is the sizing? True 2.25, or more narrow than you had thought? Can't tell too much from that angle.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Just started testing them on my rigid 29er.

26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

Ride Everything
    Right around 55mm wide.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything