Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: Oliver's Twist

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027

    Oliver's Twist

    I just got done switching out my Unit 2-9 for a custom powder coated BanderSnatch! Big thumbs up to Vassago, they hooked me up with a brand new color they wanted to try out. My pictures do not do it justice, the paint is so deep, and has so much sparkle. It just glows in the sun light. I have only had a parking lot kind of ride, but I love the way it feel compared to my Kona. Full ride report will come this weekend, if it does not rain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    anyone else smell that?
    Reputation: jgsatl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,314
    interesting....no braze-on toward the rear of the top tube?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    754
    There's one there...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    interesting....no braze-on toward the rear of the top tube?
    No, there is one there, maybe it is the angle.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: burner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    817
    really nice bike

    what do they call the color? it looks almost the same as niner's root beer.

  6. #6
    SingleTrackSal
    Guest

    Sweet!

    Please be sure to add your ride report, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on how it rides compared to the Kona. I work for a Kona dealer and can get a Unit 2-9 frame cheap (we have one in the shop in my size, rides nice in the parking lot), but I'm more than intrigued with all the reports I keep hearing about the Vassagos and their climbing abilities.

    Congrats on a nice bike!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1
    Longtime Lurker - Pushed To Write In

    I have probably talked to Vassago more than they want to talk to me about their frames. I finally decided to do it and get the free shipping deal they have. I ordered my frame today but in the Redemption Red.....but now I'm thinking......

    What color is this? I didn't see it on their web site when I did my order.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ss29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    207

    Very nice!

    Thats one good looking ride. Well done with the cable routing. What kind of stick ons are those?
    I will also be looking forward to your ride report. I had my Jabberwocky out yesterday for a longer ride and it still impresses me with it's ride and (value $).

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin29
    Longtime Lurker - Pushed To Write In
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin29

    I have probably talked to Vassago more than they want to talk to me about their frames. I finally decided to do it and get the free shipping deal they have. I ordered my frame today but in the Redemption Red.....but now I'm thinking......

    What color is this? I didn't see it on their web site when I did my order.



    They told me, they called it molten brimstone.


    "Thats one good looking ride. Well done with the cable routing. What kind of stick ons are those?"

    The stick ons are made by Jagwire



    "really nice bike

    what do they call the color? it looks almost the same as niner's root beer."

    I can see what you say about it looking like niner's root beer, but the picture does not show the true color. If you were to see them side by side, mine is a lot more orange in color.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    142
    Nice ride Oliver. Can't wait to hear the ride report comparing to your Unit. What is the screwed in cable guide? I see it's screwed in to your braze-on - I haven't seen those yet.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Xayden, those are Problem Solver hydro cable guides, Jagwire also makes them.

    I had my wife take a couple more pictures of the bike. She has a better eye for this kind of stuff. I think this better show the true color of the frame.

    As for the ride, it feels great compared to the Kona, I use to think my wheels were too flexable, turns out it is was the frame. The bike feels lower and more centered compared to my Kona, and the turning is more crisp. I can huck the front wheel up with ease, and ride a wheelie for days. I will have a more serious ride report this week. I had to go shopping with the wife, I guess that is the trade off for getting a new frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    91
    WOW! I love the multi-color looking metalic. How long did it take to get the custom powdercoat done?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpedals23
    WOW! I love the multi-color looking metalic. How long did it take to get the custom powdercoat done?
    Vassago's website says 2 weeks, but mine took about a week. I cannot complaine about the fast turn around.

  14. #14
    anyone else smell that?
    Reputation: jgsatl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,314
    that metalflake is hot.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    that metalflake is hot.
    That is what I was saying, when I saw if for the first time.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollinon29s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    253
    yeah....she's a keeper. congrats

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinon29s
    yeah....she's a keeper. congrats
    Thanks, I liked it so much, I bought second one.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    937
    WOW. Now I wish I got that color!

    I'm also going from a 16" Kona Unit 2-9 to a 16" Jabberwocky. I'm interested to see the difference. For me, I LOVE my Kona Unit, but the seat tube angle was not steep enough for me. I'll be sure to post a ride comparison and pics when I get my Jabberwocky built up later this week or next.

    Seriously, I really really like that color.
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by namrita
    WOW. Now I wish I got that color!

    I'm also going from a 16" Kona Unit 2-9 to a 16" Jabberwocky. I'm interested to see the difference. For me, I LOVE my Kona Unit, but the seat tube angle was not steep enough for me. I'll be sure to post a ride comparison and pics when I get my Jabberwocky built up later this week or next.

    Seriously, I really really like that color.
    Thanks, I would like to see what you think of the Vassago compared to your Unit 2-9. I think you will be happy with the new frame. Maybe you could have two Vassago's. Like I said earlier, I like it so much, I picked up a second BanderSnatch in Grey.

  20. #20
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,355
    how much does she weigh? That's almost identical (except color - Granny Smith green with blue bits like a Cane Creek Solos HS, blue skewers, etc) to what I want to build.

    Thanks.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    how much does she weigh? That's almost identical (except color - Granny Smith green with blue bits like a Cane Creek Solos HS, blue skewers, etc) to what I want to build.

    Thanks.
    I came in at 27lbs, but it could be lighter. I have a few heavy bits, but I am 245lbs, so I do not want to run any of the extra light stuff. I try to shoot for strength first, and weight second. That being said, I love the bike, it does everything better than my Unit 2-9.

  22. #22
    Law
    Law is offline
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Reputation: Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver


    They told me, they called it molten brimstone.

    what do they call the color?
    A good name for a color considering the brand is named after a demon or something. They seem to have a thing for Alice in Wonderland though. The bandersnatch and jabberwocky are out of Through the Looking Glass oddly.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    Thanks, I would like to see what you think of the Vassago compared to your Unit 2-9. I think you will be happy with the new frame. Maybe you could have two Vassago's. Like I said earlier, I like it so much, I picked up a second BanderSnatch in Grey.
    After getting the bike built up, test riding it for an hour, and racing it for 6 hours...all in the same week..here are my thoughts.

    Climbing: better, more traction

    Descending: better, more stable, can get back easier, definitely feel the "riding in the bike" feeling with the geometry..can't think of a better way to describe that

    Cornering: much faster, i don't have to brake as much..the bike just goes

    Switchbacks and turns: easier, more stable

    The only thing I'm not crazy about is the brake cable routing for hydraulics, but that is fixed on the new frames anyway.
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ss29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    207

    brake routing?

    Quote Originally Posted by namrita
    The only thing I'm not crazy about is the brake cable routing for hydraulics, but that is fixed on the new frames anyway.
    How did they fix the brake routing?

  25. #25
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,355
    thanks. I'm about 215 geared up so 27lbs is ok with me. My build plan has some Hope stuff so it may be a tad lighter but not much.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by ss29er
    How did they fix the brake routing?
    The frame was setup to run run both V-Brakes and Discs. The next frames will be more geared towards disc brakes with hydro guides. See picture for current setup, I do not mind, I just bought some cable guides, and called it good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    The frame was setup to run run both V-Brakes and Discs. The next frames will be more geared towards disc brakes with hydro guides. See picture for current setup, I do not mind, I just bought some cable guides, and called it good.
    Yes, that works well. I need to get me some of those.
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by namrita
    Yes, that works well. I need to get me some of those.
    Get three, two for the top tube, and one for the seat stay. After that, you sould be set.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dubjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by namrita
    The only thing I'm not crazy about is the brake cable routing for hydraulics, but that is fixed on the new frames anyway.
    On the new frames, did they replace the normal cable stops with those little zip tie guides? I wish more people would do that.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    20
    that's the color i was thinking of getting. is it really orange? your pics make it look redish. i REALLY want orange.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdixon
    that's the color i was thinking of getting. is it really orange? your pics make it look redish. i REALLY want orange.
    It is Orange/Copper Metalic. Looks great in the sun!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •