mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good job! Old dusty Asylum G2

End-of-the-second-season report on the old Asylum in it's new home across the ocean.

I just upgraded the bike with a sort of inexpensive (375 USD) G2 (51 mm offset) F29 RL 100 mm from ebay. This breathed such new life into the bike that I thought I may just as well relay the info. I was inspired by ncj01, thanks!

The Fox replaced a very dependable and generally very nice Reba Race. When I got the frame last year I first moved my 100 mm Reba from my Scandal HT. The Asylum with it's slacker head tube felt very slow and akward around our very tight and technical singletrack. I changed the Reba to 80 mm which helped a lot with the steering, but of course made it less forgiving. However the bike still had some of a familiar 29er issue. In every tight situation or when I wanted to pick a different line quickly the bike would be a tad slow and sometimes I just ended up in a wider turn than I wanted. This was no biggie, just a quirk.

When I read about G2 being a good idea for an Asylum I was immediatly interested. I honestly never thought of it. I tried a friends G2 Paragon and liked the steering so I decided to give it a try.

I got the fork Friday and put it on yesterday. I'm about 70 kgs (155 lbs) and put 75 psi in the fork to get about 20 mm of sag. Then I took the bike for some serious testing on familiar trails.

Note that our trails are very rooty, rocky and twisty. In different terrain the effects I describe may be less desirable I guess.

I immediatly noticed that an old friend from the 26er days was back, steering by telepathy! I didn't know how much I missed it. Now the bike turns whithout conscious effort. I can make those split second line changes again.

100 mm made the front end float just as nice as my old Reba did in 100 mm. I can live without that but it does make most riding more fun. 80 mm works well for my riding and racing, but 100 mm is better still. I think the somewhat slacker head angle with the longer fork makes it work better too.

I have noticed that my RP23 never gets full travel (picture). I have 85 psi in it and it is about as plush as I want it. I tried a bit less pressure but I just get more bob, no more travel...

Considering this I was not very surprised to find the Fox fork being the same (picture). With correct sag and feel for my riding I use about 80-85 mm of travel riding my familiar trails at race like speed. With the 80 mm Reba at 105 psi I used about 70-75 mm of travel. Is this a Fox feature? No matter really, the fork feels great. It eats the small stuff and big stuff with the same ease, nice. Those last 15-20 mm will be good on the long really fast technical descends some races have, that I don't have at home.

One minor drawback with this set-up is a slight increase of bob out of the saddle, but this was annoying with the Reba at 80 mm too. Another is that the Fox lockout requires a longer twist of the lever, that may be irritating when racing. On the other hand the fork is a lot stiffer when locked out, me likes.

Stability is as good or better than before, I'm happy.

The season is definitely coming to an end here. I have one XC race left to do in early October, that will be really interesting, but after that it will be hibernation for the race bike. I feel very confident for 2010 now.

The bike is 11.65 kgs (25.6 lbs) as pictured. Pretty good considering the frame is heavy-ish.

Dusty bike = nice wheather.

rider
    Good writeup. What is the headtube angle on your Asylum? I beleive my Asylum headtube to be a hair steeper than your. I'm riding one of the original Asylums.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Not sure about the headtube angle, sorry. Did they change it? My frame is relatively rescent, maybe 2006?

The Duuude, man...
    Very well done. Looks fantastic. Only thing I would change would be to shorten/tighten up those brake lines and work on the front brake line routing. I'm "OCD" in those areas if you'll forgive the pun. I like the lines to be very tight and tidy, so I usually wind up taking the finished bike to a shop to have the lines cut/trimmed/re-bled...the only thing I can't do myself.

I beleive the Asylum HT angle is ~71 degrees. IE, same as the HIFI 29er's HT angle that feature the G2 fork...which is why the G2 is a perfect mate to the OCD. I'm not aware of any running geo changes in the Asylum's...what I do know changed is that over time, more sizes were introduced...but I'm not aware that things like HT angles changed from size to size.

FS: Everything

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    I believe the Asylum HT angle is ~71 degrees.
    Sounds about right for the newer builds depending on size:

http://www.asylumcycles.com/ocd.asp

When I bought my Asylum it was one size fits all. Here's the original geometry from way back:

rider
    Forgot to finish where I was going...

Since I'm closer to 71 degree head angle I'm wondering if the Fox non-G2 at 44mm rake would be a nice middle ground between my slow steering Reba and the G2 Fox.

Nate - have you run this combo?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I run a fox on my titus racer x

standard 44mm and it is great.

the orginal frame (2003) was designed around an 80mm bomber fork. however the 100mm fox works great on it and while keeping it fast enough in the steering while making it easy to bomb downhill (putting a racing ralph 2.4 on the front works well as well - adds a bit more height and rake)

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by edicviz
    I have noticed that my RP23 never gets full travel (picture). I have 85 psi in it and it is about as plush as I want it. I tried a bit less pressure but I just get more bob, no more travel...
    PUSH will work wonders
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just bought a 100mm G2 for my 08 RX 29er. Mine is a small speced for a 80mm fork.
    I hope the 52mm offset compromises for the extra 20mm travel. At a 71 degree HT angle I think it's going to work well, if not I can use travel reducer spacer

Thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I was just thinking my O.C.D. needed something....
    Last edited by MR. ED; 09-24-2009 at 09:56 PM.

Did I catch a niner?
    edicviz,

I really really like your bike, I think its the fact it's so simple.

pink

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    PUSH will work wonders
    I have been thinking about a PUSH mod of the RP23. What is your experience of the difference? I'm specifically after a bit plusher first inch of the stroke, without reducing pressure and having more sag. I think the Fox fork does just that compared to the Reba. It's noticably plusher on small stuff even with relatively high pressure. But then the Fox is 100 mm and the Reba is 80 mm...

It feels a bit "if it sounds too good to be true..." but maybe clever damper valving can make it happen?

I like the Fox fork performance too much, even without using full travel, to experiment with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    edicviz,

I really really like your bike, I think its the fact it's so simple.

pink
    Thanks. It's a race bike, form follows function.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by edicviz
    I have been thinking about a PUSH mod of the RP23. What is your experience of the difference? I'm specifically after a bit plusher first inch of the stroke, without reducing pressure and having more sag. I think the Fox fork does just that compared to the Reba. It's noticably plusher on small stuff even with relatively high pressure. But then the Fox is 100 mm and the Reba is 80 mm...

It feels a bit "if it sounds too good to be true..." but maybe clever damper valving can make it happen?

I like the Fox fork performance too much, even without using full travel, to experiment with it.
    My experience with PUSH (XC full Factory tune applied to my Sultan's RP23 last December) was fantastic. I was able to get exactly what I was looking for out of the tune.

Best thing to do is to shoot them an email with what you're looking for out of the shock and they will make some recommendations based on your weight, the bike's characteristics and your desired outcome.

When you schedule the appointment for the 'tune' - turnaround is really quick. I pulled my shock off Sunday after a race, mailed it Monday, had it back on Friday....and I live in Miami, FL, not all that close to Colorado.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

rider
    Off came the Reba and on with the Fox F29 G2. So far just a urban ride but I like the feel. I anxious to get some downhill speed on it so see how it handles. On tight, twisting maneuvers it feel superior to the old Reba. The Asylum may have some new life!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Swami Scott
    Off came the Reba and on with the Fox F29 G2. So far just a urban ride but I like the feel. I anxious to get some downhill speed on it so see how it handles. On tight, twisting maneuvers it feel superior to the old Reba. The Asylum may have some new life!
    Sounds great! What travel 80mm or 100mm?

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside
    Sounds great! What travel 80mm or 100mm?
    It's the 100mm RL in black. Same fork as edicviz. Bought it on Fleabay for $400.