Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    The Fastest of Bananas

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread

Working with Scott @ Switchback Bikes, I got a Hammerhead Thumper Frame leftover that I will be building up as a Unveil 9. This thread will document my build, parts choice explanations, and observations as I go along.

It will be getting a full custom powder coat job with the Unveil 9 graphics, and a M8d grade parts buildout, to keep the theme of "bang for your buck".

I wont be posting prices or bro deals, as it would be rude to my suppliers, sponsors, and people who provide discounts. PM me if you have pricing questions if I mention a deal I got.

Now, for pics of the teardown and initial observations.

The frame. Sorry for the poor lighting.

In pieces.

Needle bearings in the rear chainstay pivot. A nice touch, most frames have a bushing here. The fitment was nice and snug as well.

Updated delrin shock hardware on the Fox CTD Trail Adjust. Sweet. Inside the shock there is a medium air volume spacer installed. Combined with the medium compression tune and a approx leverage ratio of 2.5, it should be a nice, bottomless feel.

Beefy Hanger. I like the two bolt mounting as well. Direct mount would have been a nice touch.

Quality hardware, blue loctite throughout. Note, tighten down hardware when you receive a frame, everything was snug but not tight.

Nicely made rocker. Feels plenty stiff, unlike some carbon rockers floating around.

Nice clean BB threads. Not faced, it looks like it doesnt need it, but I always face them anyways. Large bearings in the lower pivot. Most frames I have seen have two rows, may be a decent upgrade later.

Full length cable routing.

Post mount rear brake, I approve.

Nice beefy chainstay and seatstay.

Overall impressions. The frame is a high quality frame. The welds and paint quality are both top notch. Its a shame the graphics and color choice (black/expresso/purple) dont do it for everyone. I almost feel bad stripping the paint, since its done so well. The frame feels very durable and stiff in the hand, squeezing areas to check for flex. the Fox CTD's controls are sharp and positive. Better than the RP23, be performance will be the real measure. The through axle rear, full length cable routing, ZS headset, post mount rear, needle bearings, and horst link suspension check all the right blocks for a modern frame. For the current price, the frame is a absolute deal, and sure to be a performer.

More to follow as the build progresses.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    INNNN!!!! can't wait to see this build pan out! (and + rep of course)

Short-Change-Hero
    Subbing to your thread. Mine will be shipped next week and planning to have build finished by my bday in September if not sooner (having to split money between repairs on the LC and this).

Def can't beat the price on this and Scott @ Switchback has been great to deal with.

29ers Forever
    Subbing to this thread! Can't wait to see the Unveil 9 come alive.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quick update for today. I pushed the bearing out of the main pivot and seatstays this morning, 3 of the 4 came out with a quick smack from the rubber mallet. One, however, did'nt wanna move. It took a multitude of whacks from a 8lb minisledge for it to come out. Once out, it was obvious it was just a tight fit. The difference between tight and holy crap its not coming out is very little. The bad news, is I buggered up the bearing beating it out. It rotates, but not so smooth anymore. I think it may be a good opportunity to try some bearings from Enduro to see if I can tell a difference in quality.

That said, all that dissasembly paid off, I am dropping the frame at the PC shop during lunch. I wont divulge any details of the work to be done until next post, as I am a tease. I will say, its going to be nice, and I am laying out the decals differently than the artwork posted for the Unveil 9.

mtbr member
    I going to try and remember later to post a picture of where my rear brake cable rubs my frame so you can make sure to use some clear fame protectant as not to mess up that Purdy pc

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    @TwoNin9r - do your cables rub on the headtube at all? Definitely post some pics of common place to put some of the 3M protectant film, I got lots of nice rub spots on my Inbred frame.

mtbr member
    No. Only one small place on the st and I will post pics later :-)

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    @TwoNin9r - do your cables rub on the headtube at all? Definitely post some pics of common place to put some of the 3M protectant film, I got lots of nice rub spots on my Inbred frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    I going to try and remember later to post a picture of where my rear brake cable rubs my frame so you can make sure to use some clear fame protectant as not to mess up that Purdy pc
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post

Posted via mobile

I am undecided about it at this point, but I have a buddy that does professional 3M film jobs on cars. He does bicycles for $70 a frame, but that is literally every square inch is covered, and you almost cant even tell. Its that good.

However, with proper prep and care, just a few patches here and there is all you need. I will be doing the sides of the headtube, parts of the seattube, and a portion of the seatstays. The downtube and fork lowers will be done as well.

They best way to prep the area is with 3M adhesive remover. Alcohol works for 90% of stuff on the frame, but if you have any waxes or silicon based coatings, the film wont stick.

mtbr member
    How much weight does it add? It would be nice for! Carbon ht

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas
    I would imagine about 50 grams. On a carbon frame, you can do it very slick since there are no welds to work around. I left my carbon hardtail (On One Lurcher) alone since its a matte finish, and it wouldve made it shiny.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Why are you bothering to strip and paint the frame? Part of the bro deal advertising or something?

mtbr member
    Ah very cool. Yeah my f29 would look nice

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    Why are you repainting it yourself? Doesn't Switchback bikes offer this service for an upcharge on the old Thumper frames?

What color are you going with?
    konahonzo

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Why are you bothering to strip and paint the frame? Part of the bro deal advertising or something?
    1. Its cheap.
    2. I get all my aluminum or steel bikes redone to my liking.
    3. Its going to be sick.
    4. Im a boss.
    5. The Thumper graphics arent my thing.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Why are you repainting it yourself? Doesn't Switchback bikes offer this service for an upcharge on the old Thumper frames?

What color are you going with?
    They do. And its a good price. However, I am doing a multi stage powder job, thats going to be a step above the one stage that is available from Switchback.

I am not devulging the details on the plan until after lunch, when it is finalized with the powder coater.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    As the owner of this bikes illegitimate brother (Kona Satori), let me say:
    - Yes, the derailleur hanger bolts sheer before the hanger
    - You really need the right bushings to set the pivot bearings. Don't go for the hammer and socket approach.
    - The stock bearings work well but don't have water proof grease. Mine lasted a season and were then replaced with Enduro Super Max.
    - Get an Enduro needle bearing for the shock on the swing link side. Very noticeable improvement in small bump.
    - If you have the means, I highly recommend a 2014 Monarch Plus with high volume can.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    As the owner of this bikes illegitimate brother (Kona Satori), let me say:
    - Yes, the derailleur hanger bolts sheer before the hanger
    - You really need the right bushings to set the pivot bearings. Don't go for the hammer and socket approach.
    - The stock bearings work well but don't have water proof grease. Mine lasted a season and were then replaced with Enduro Super Max.
    - Get an Enduro needle bearing for the shock on the swing link side. Very noticeable improvement in small bump.
    - If you have the means, I highly recommend a 2014 Monarch Plus with high volume can.
    Thanks for the input.

The enduro needle bearing on the shock was part of my plan, as moving the linkage by hand, I feel a ton of drag on the stock shock bushing. Also, removing the bearings by hammer was a last resort, the one was in there super tight. At that point I didn't care if I killed it.

Do you have a specific bearing puller you like? Or did you make one from hardware?

On the shock, I've ridden bikes with the Monarch, its a great shock. That said, I like the Fox just as much, and a CCDB would be the upgrade of choice. However, I disagree 10000% on the high volume can. The high volume can makes a very linear suspension feel, and I like a progressive suspension. Hence the Medium velocity tune and medium air volume spacer on a low volume can. It will not bottom out, unless you are running way too much sag. My FTM has an identical suspension setup, and its perfect. JMHO.

The Fastest of Bananas
    @car_nut

Which needle bearing size did you order? 22.20? thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Removal was just a punch and hammer as the bearings were already trashed. If you're going ccdb, then that is obviously a step above the Plus. I started with a Plus and the normal can. It just wasn't enough. I'd have to run 35% sag if I wanted to hit 90% travel trying to bottom it out. The high volume can will definitely need some spacers though.
    Can't wait to see the paint you're going with!
    EDIT: Sorry, powder coat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    @car_nut

Which needle bearing size did you order? 22.20? thanks
    Kits - M8 x 22.2mm

The Fastest of Bananas

The Fastest of Bananas
    The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-db_file_img_11353_1200xauto.jpgTime for the good stuff.

Dropped the frame off at the PC shop today. Its getting a 3 stage powder job, with the logos stenciled into the powder. Illusion purple, white, and clear coat. The "Unveil 9" logo will occupy the top of the top tube, starting from the headtube. The "Switchback" will be on the underside of the downtube, and vertical.

The frame will overall be purple, with the headtube and top of top tube, and bottom of downtube being white, with the letters negatived into the white. (Purple letters and decals). The mountain logo will be in white on the back of the seattube, and be large and purple on the headtube.

May be hard to envision, but we will all get to see it in person, along with nice, high quality photos as it progresses, in two weeks.

Short-Change-Hero
    Definitely document what you replace and with which Enduros. I was looking at there site today and have used them on various applications. Would love to be able subsequently upgrade the feel.

Also, I plan to use the Fox for a short while (long enough to get use do it) but I have a large distaste for just everything Fox from previous experience. My plan is to go budget on my build and sell off the CTD for a Manitou Radium EX (per conversations with Manitou techs). But that will be sometime down the road.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Definitely document what you replace and with which Enduros. I was looking at there site today and have used them on various applications. Would love to be able subsequently upgrade the feel.

Also, I plan to use the Fox for a short while (long enough to get use do it) but I have a large distaste for just everything Fox from previous experience. My plan is to go budget on my build and sell off the CTD for a Manitou Radium EX (per conversations with Manitou techs). But that will be sometime down the road.
    For the main pivot, 6000 2RS MAX
    For the bearings in the seatstay, 698 LLB MAX
    The needle bearings in the chainstay should be fine, I'll rock those til they give out.
    The rear shock is getting the needle bearing (gold ano FTW), in 22.2mm.

It sucks I wont get to compare stock to enduro, but I am not reinstalling the stock ones just to get ride impressions. Oh well.

@gregnash, I would like to give the Fox shock a chance. In my experience, Fox is great once you get it setup for your bike well. Specifically, the volume.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1808
Size:  6.1 KB

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks fastbanana... were you able to order them directly from Enduro or did you buy through your LBS?

The Fastest of Bananas
    Thanks fastbanana... were you able to order them directly from Enduro or did you buy through your LBS?
    From Enduro. I go to my LBS for very little. I would like to, but pricing is so bad that I easily double the bang for my buck buying elsewhere. The only thing my LBS makes sense for, are items that aren't on sale, ever, like Thomson, as I get a hefty discount racing for the shop.

Getting off topic I know, but put it this way. I anticipate completing this build for under $2500. If I were to got out and buy a equivalent Specialized Stumpjumper (closest bike to this, in SLX build kit), it would cost me nearly $4600 after I paid state taxes. And my bike is going to be a much nicer spec.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah that is the dilemma I have with going to my bike shop. I love the guys and have a good relationship with them, send people to them constantly and participate in their events but somethings just don't quite add up. I will go and buy clothes, gels, random pieces from them just to spend money there and have them do things that I dont have the proper tools for. But hopefully that will change with this bike.

For my Inbred, it ended up being a $2k bike after buying two forks (first one blew a seal and company didn't respond for months) and multiple other little items. I am hoping to keep my build around $2k when all is said and done. I will be going with a mixture of X7/X9 stuff on mine and hopefully land some good "lightly used" items for just about everything. I was looking at getting a Giant Anthem X 29er 3 or Trance X 29er 2 but after reviewing most of the specs on those two bikes (because they are in my price range) I will end up coming up with something much nicer for pretty much the same amount (though time is where the drop comes in).

The Fastest of Bananas

Fox Float 34 29 FIT/CTD with Trail Adjust. Soon to be 150mm.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Did you happen to weigh the frame with and without the shock?

Is there any reason you couldn't have left the stock bearings in, coated over them, and removed/replaced them after? I'd think the bearings would do the best job of keeping powder out of the races.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

Also, is there any chance your powder coat guy could recreate the Switchback and Unveil9 graphics in a vinyl decal kit? I might be interested depending on how they look.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Did you happen to weigh the frame with and without the shock?

Is there any reason you couldn't have left the stock bearings in, coated over them, and removed/replaced them after? I'd think the bearings would do the best job of keeping powder out of the races.
    I did not. I will after its back from coating.

I like your thinking, but there is one big issue with leaving the bearings in. One, youll melt the seals. Not a big deal if you are replacing the bearings. Two, the grease in the bearings will run at 400 degree and ruin the powder job as its curing.

Lastly, taping off the bearing "holes" is easy. 90% of a good coating is in the prep.

The Fastest of Bananas

Also, is there any chance your powder coat guy could recreate the Switchback and Unveil9 graphics in a vinyl decal kit? I might be interested depending on how they look.
    His decals are made for being under a powdercoat or paint only. Also, my frame is getting the graphics stenciled in, no vinyl involved in the final product. Makes for a super slick, clean finish.

Sorry, I assumed the guy you mentioned doing 3M vinyl on cars was the same guy doing your powder coat work. My bad.

[RIGHT]
    I am undecided about it at this point, but I have a buddy that does professional 3M film jobs on cars. He does bicycles for $70 a frame, but that is literally every square inch is covered, and you almost cant even tell. Its that good.

I did not. I will after its back from coating.

I like your thinking, but there is one big issue with leaving the bearings in. One, youll melt the seals. Not a big deal if you are replacing the bearings. Two, the grease in the bearings will run at 400 degree and ruin the powder job as its curing.

Lastly, taping off the bearing "holes" is easy. 90% of a good coating is in the prep.
    Totally forgot about the effects of 400 degrees ovens on all the bearing components. Duh! I was thinking paint prep (which I might have done on my raw proto eventually).

The Fastest of Bananas

Sorry, I assumed the guy you mentioned doing 3M vinyl on cars was the same guy doing your powder coat work. My bad.
    Different guy. I'm doing the film myself, as it isnt hard and this isnt a $$$ carbon frame.

Short-Change-Hero
    Can't wait to see the finished job. How long will the PC take?

The Fastest of Bananas
    Roughly a days work, but two weeks lead time. Jobs in front of mine, plus he is still in the Army.

The Fastest of Bananas

For any Colorado locals, this is the business card for the powder coater doing my stuff. Tell him Luke sent you.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL.. you need to tell him to get to work on his website. Nothing is coming up other than the GoDaddy advertisement.

What part of CO?

The Fastest of Bananas

LOL.. you need to tell him to get to work on his website. Nothing is coming up other than the GoDaddy advertisement.

What part of CO?
    The Springs. I guess he hasnt made it yet, haha. He made the cards because I suggested it.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL.. thats awesome... I have family up in the boat and keep wanting to go up and do the Steamboat Stinger for a couple years but something always seems to come up. One of these years I will.

mtbr member
    Quick update for today. I pushed the bearing out of the main pivot and seatstays this morning, 3 of the 4 came out with a quick smack from the rubber mallet. One, however, did'nt wanna move. It took a multitude of whacks from a 8lb minisledge for it to come out. Once out, it was obvious it was just a tight fit. The difference between tight and holy crap its not coming out is very little. The bad news, is I buggered up the bearing beating it out. It rotates, but not so smooth anymore. I think it may be a good opportunity to try some bearings from Enduro to see if I can tell a difference in quality.

That said, all that dissasembly paid off, I am dropping the frame at the PC shop during lunch. I wont divulge any details of the work to be done until next post, as I am a tease. I will say, its going to be nice, and I am laying out the decals differently than the artwork posted for the Unveil 9.
    I have some extra bearings if you want one for FreeNinetyFree

Oh!! Can't wait to see that.....

mtbr member
    Just read through the rest of the posts...can't believe I have missed this thread

@slowdanger - no, no BroDeal done or some alternative, undercover, advertising agenda.
    @fastbanana told me about his plans for the frame and I loved the idea...told him I would honor the warranty on the frame if he got it PCed.

The HH Thumper graphics didn't go over well so offering some warranty freedom to help the people out that aren't keen on the graphics

FWIW & to be true to a main tenant of the Brand "an open & transparent approach to the start-up life of a Bike Brand"
    The company is taking a serious bath on these frames...but I believe in the quality of the craftsmanship & how great they ride....so clearing out the remaining a Thumper inventory to help keep the model alive and so we can make some kick-ass looking frames for future runs under Switchback Bikes.

I think someone else mentioned Decals...if you have interest in doing something similar and would like Switchback decals....happy to provide the Vector files and discuss what you have in mind for the "Switchback Decal Branding" on the frame.

Again....loved @fastbana's ideas so gave him creative freedom for "Branding"

I'm here if others have questions

Thanks, Scott

The Fastest of Bananas

Just some goodies from Enduro Fork Seals.

Seals. Because my fork needs a rebuild, and I'm extending the travel, so I wanted to see what the hype was about.

Needle bearing for rear shock. Rocker side only. I feel a ton of stiction in the delrin bushing on the rocker side, so this will keep the suspension smooth.

Enduro pivot bearing. Largest ball bearings on the inside, and packed with marine grease. Nothing wrong with the stock ones, I just think these will last longer since I had to remove the factory ones anyways to PC the frame.

No updates yet on the coating, still patiently waiting.

Also inbound, a bunch of fancy suspension and wheel tools.

mtbr member

Yum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fastest of Bananas
    Today I went out for a ride. Go figure, Niner was there doing demos. They had a WFO in my size. Its a similar bike to what Im building. Overall impressions, this bike begs to go fast. Very stable at speed, and climbs very well. My only complaint was a shortish top tube. 580mm for a medium. Also, the dropper post was so long, with it as low as it can go(extended of course), it was too high.

As with all bikes this slack, it took some skill to bring it around corners. You have to aggressively load the front end.

The brakes were XO trails. They were awful. Noisy, poor modulation, and have a terrible feel at the levers. XX1 was cool, but not a game changer. The rock shox reverb worked quite well, and returned fast enough for me to be satisfied. However, the integrated dropper and brake lever forced a funky postion that made it tough to find the button. That and it was very small, I much prefer a lever, a la specialized or KS.

It had Stans Flow wheels. No complaints there.

The suspension was a Monarch Plus and a Pike. Trail mode was perfect for all riding, with descend being way too soft and climb was very nice for smooth climbs. I only managed to use 100mm of the fork, and I used all rear travel, despite multiple 3 foot drops, and a 4 foot drop to slope.

Overall, it was a super nice and fast bike. Not the perfect bike for me, but it was a much better fit for me than my Titus. I think the Unveil will be better.

mtbr member

Good info

The Fastest of Bananas
    Bad news, the color I wanted is backordered. Gotta pick something else. Suggestions?

mtbr member

Check out http://www.prismaticpowders.com/

They have a huge gallery and which bases and metallics used to get each color.

This is where I will get my powders for my yelli screamy redux

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Check out http://www.prismaticpowders.com/

They have a huge gallery and which bases and metallics used to get each color.

This is where I will get my powders for my yelli screamy redux
    Thats where I get mine. Just looking for specific suggestions. Im thinking blue.

mtbr member

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gall...Blue-Top-Coat/

This color was one of my final pics.

My new frame is gonna be green so that option is out.

The Fastest of Bananas
    I ran across that one. I'm considering Lite illusion blue with a intense blue topcoat. White decals.

Do you think intense blue with a metallic white basecoat would be good?

mtbr member

Emerald sparkle over intense blue would be sick too.

I think the super chrome is the best base around. It's going to give that crazy pop to any color.

I'd recommend chatting with your pc guy and get his advice. I have seen the super chrome really last too. It seems to be some really durable stuff.

I would go super chrome base, then your color of choice then a clear coat PC on top. Should make for a damn solid coating.

I try to explain to ppl that PC isn't the best choice for protection but certainly the best for depth and shine for color.

Good luck

The Fastest of Bananas
    How many layers of powder is too many? By the time I do super chrome, transparent, and a clear, I'm up to three layers. Is this too much? How much weight would it add?

mtbr member

Electric Blue Powder

I dig that Blue Wheel! When the Bike Shop was open (we were a Top 5 Niner dealer).....PCed my RIP9 Electric Blue....came out awesome...just wish I saved the HiRes images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-img_4061.jpg  

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-img_4067.jpg  

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-img_4068.jpg  

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-img_4069.jpg  

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-img_4070.jpg  

The Fastest of Bananas
    Oooh, dats nice!

Today I went out for a ride. Go figure, Niner was there doing demos. They had a WFO in my size. Its a similar bike to what Im building. Overall impressions, this bike begs to go fast. Very stable at speed, and climbs very well. My only complaint was a shortish top tube.
    This was the WFO v2?

The Fastest of Bananas

This was the WFO v2?
    Yes, the new one. Stellar bike. Great fit for someone with long legs. Not me haha

How tall are you? Was it an XL or something?

The Fastest of Bananas
    Im 5'8". I rode a medium, I wanted a 20mm longer top tube, and a little lower seat collar, as I couldnt lower the dropper enough to not be too tall extended.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Just got done talking to the coater. The purple is backorder, Prismatic is waiting on raw materials. Ok, fine. I like this color too.

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-db_file_img_10694_1200xauto.jpg

mtbr member

Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Loving the Prismatic site....here are some mock-ups of a Made-In-The-USA 29er Steel AM HT we are working on....inspirations for the color options are on the product page http://www.switchbackbikes.com/jedeye9-prototype/frame

I have seen several Prismatic Army Green, Navy, & your Purple idea that would look SICK on these! Time to get to work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Fastest of Bananas
    Scott, check out the Illusion line of colors. Absolutely nuts for a base/clear.

If you wanted to offer a higher end color, the Intense Blue over Light Illusion Blue is gorgeous.

mtbr member

How many layers of powder is too many? By the time I do super chrome, transparent, and a clear, I'm up to three layers. Is this too much? How much weight would it add?

I'd ask your coater how many coats he is comfortable laying down. And is figure the weight is a push in the grand scheme.

I've seen shops put of more coats than that.

The green looks great btw.

The Fastest of Bananas

I'd ask your coater how many coats he is comfortable laying down. And is figure the weight is a push in the grand scheme.

I've seen shops put of more coats than that.

The green looks great btw.
    I asked, he said 5 is pushing the limit. We will be doing 3, so no issues there. I expect it to weigh a half pound more than a raw or ano frame. Which is only a tad heavier than paint.

The Fastest of Bananas

Tools, yea!

The Fastest of Bananas

Took 10mm off this bad boy to extend the fork to 150mm.

mtbr member
    On a related-yet-seperate note: Always tell your powdercoater to run aluminum frames at the lowest temp possible (350 or lower) & no high temp bake-off to remove old powder/paint.
    We have seen frames come back from reputable powdercoaters completely annealed (scrapped)
    Carry-on!
    David
    Zen Bicycle Fabrication, Portland, Or.

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Zen View Post
    On a related-yet-seperate note: Always tell your powdercoater to run aluminum frames at the lowest temp possible (350 or lower) & no high temp bake-off to remove old powder/paint.
    We have seen frames come back from reputable powdercoaters completely annealed (scrapped)
    Carry-on!
    David
    He has done a few of mine. Thanks for the advice though, good for people reading this!

mtbr member

So if a powder calls for 400 degrees at. 20 minutes could you just bake at 350 degrees for a longer time??

The Fastest of Bananas

So if a powder calls for 400 degrees at. 20 minutes could you just bake at 350 degrees for a longer time??
    Yes. You can also partial bake between layers

mtbr member
    Well informed>>

Yes. You can also partial bake between layers

Zen Bicycle Fabrication, Portland, Or.

mtbr member

Great info guys!

The Fastest of Bananas
    Sent off the 2013 dampner to Fox to get the 2014 conversion, adds more compression all around. Hopefully it will come back quick so Ill be able to get the frame and fork mated in a week or two.

Short-Change-Hero
    @FastBanana.... what conversion are you talking about?

Oh... and you guys are becoming very bad for my wallet... Of course made and offer on a slightly used '13 120mm Tower Pro only to just get the message that the guy sold it locally, now I am looking at an X-Fusion Slide (used) as the Towers are getting harder and harder to find and the new Marvel/Minute will be $700 MSRP.

Name:  tumblr_mga3faftNp1rjv730o2_500.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  113.3 KB

The Fastest of Bananas

Oh... and you guys are becoming very bad for my wallet... Of course made and offer on a slightly used '13 120mm Tower Pro only to just get the message that the guy sold it locally, now I am looking at an X-Fusion Slide (used) as the Towers are getting harder and harder to find and the new Marvel/Minute will be $700 MSRP.

Why not a 130 or 140?

The conversion is a 2013 to 2014 FIT CTD dampner. Fox increased the compression across the board, due to complains of the fork having no support in the Down setting. For what I paid the the 2013 Float 34 140mm, I am getting a 2014 150mm for 50 extra bones.

mtbr member

HA!

mtbr member

Why not a 130 or 140?

The conversion is a 2013 to 2014 FIT CTD dampner. Fox increased the compression across the board, due to complains of the fork having no support in the Down setting. For what I paid the the 2013 Float 34 140mm, I am getting a 2014 150mm for 50 extra bones.

Nice....great info

Short-Change-Hero
    Why not a 130 or 140?

I am actually looking for something that is convertible to 130mm but have never ridden anything more than 100mm so I am afraid of how it will change the bike. I know that once I am on it and get things going with the large fork it will be fine but its always the first jump apprehension. Plus I really want to give Manitou my business as they have earned it in the past however things are just not shaping up to it seeing as I have 120mm or 140mm options and there have been reports that the 140mm is a bit flexy.

As for the damp conversion I thought you were talking about the shock, not the fork... my bad. Cool to know that you are being given the opportunity to upgrade. I do have that same opportunity with Manitou (can grab a 120mm, tapered, 15mmQR) for my fork plus $450 since they have gone away from the Tower Pro name and gone to the Minute/Marvel names (Minute is more XC/AM focused while the Marvel is more XC).

The Fastest of Bananas
    Dont fear the travel, and slack angles. It climbs better than you would think.

Short-Change-Hero
    Dont fear the travel, and slack angles. It climbs better than you would think.

Hence why I am also looking at a White Brothers Loop and/or the X-Fusion Trace/Slide.

The Fastest of Bananas

Hence why I am also looking at a White Brothers Loop and/or the X-Fusion Trace/Slide.
    Makes sense. Depending on where you ride, you can optimise your geometry.

I really need to make some progress on this build, it need to be ready for BME in June, and works is draining me something awful, 15 hour day today. UGH.

Short-Change-Hero
    yeah I work 10hr days and I am toast by the end of it and have little motivation to go ride (especially in the damn wind).

The Fastest of Bananas

yeah I work 10hr days and I am toast by the end of it and have little motivation to go ride (especially in the damn wind).
    All I want to do is ride at the end of the day. 12hrs everday

The Fastest of Bananas

Unrelated to this build, tore down the fork from my hardtail and the dampner was full of water and foamy oil. Careful on second hand forks.

mtbr member

Bumski!

The Fastest of Bananas
    Well, I got the fork all sorted out. I still hate the Motion Control dampner. Fox dampning is far superior, with the exeption of RC3 which is ok.

Short-Change-Hero
    So here is a dumb question regard forks..... For trail riding is a 34 stanchion considered better suited than the standard 32mm for stiffness? I am sure a lot has to do with rider weight and how aggressive they ride but rule of thumb?

mtbr member

So here is a dumb question regard forks..... For trail riding is a 34 stanchion considered better suited than the standard 32mm for stiffness? I am sure a lot has to do with rider weight and how aggressive they ride but rule of thumb?
    Generally, yes. A thicker stanchion will be stiffer, but it does have to do a bit with rider weight and geo.

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas

Thats a complex question. Some say a fork with "some" flex rides better due to giving a little bit. Makes it feel more supple than it actually is. A stiffer fork can feel harsh, but it WILL track better.

That said, a light rider, 150lbs and under, wont notice much flex on a 32mm. I am 185 geared up, and push very hard, and I can visibly see my axle moving on a 32mm. 34mm and 35mm (Pike) have no flex at my weight. They ride super nice IMO, as a flexy fork will make you lose your line.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok see that is what I was thinking. I am between 190 and 210 geared so the 32mm would probably flex on me at the 140mm travel. Went and parking lot rode a 140mm travel bike so I am more comfortable with the length now.

The Fastest of Bananas

Ok see that is what I was thinking. I am between 190 and 210 geared so the 32mm would probably flex on me at the 140mm travel. Went and parking lot rode a 140mm travel bike so I am more comfortable with the length now.
    Absolutely. My Titus is a 140mm 32 Talas, super flexy.

EDIT: Patiently waiting for the frame to be done, and for parts to start trickling in. Hubs, rims, tires, headset, fork damper, stem, and bars are all on the way. Not coming fast enough.
    Last edited by FastBanana; 05-11-2014 at 07:42 PM.

The Fastest of Bananas

Loaded Precision Headset. Quality is right up there with Hope, Cane Creek, King, etc. Ceramic bearings and all that. Doing a Loaded bar and stem as well. The stem is backordered, but hopefully I wont have to steal the Thompson from my other rig for too long.

Short-Change-Hero
    Going big dollar on this build aren't we!!! The loaded looks awesome and cant wait to see the PC job on yours.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome!

mtbr member

Purple & Gold

Just reminded me of a Salsa El Mariachi Ti I built up w/ Purple and Gold Bling! Wish the King Inset headsets were available in Purple back then!

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-pimp1.jpg

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-pimp3.jpg

The Official Switchback Unveil 9 Build Thread-pimp5.jpg

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post
    Just reminded me of a Salsa El Mariachi Ti I built up w/ Purple and Gold Bling! Wish the King Inset headsets were available in Purple back then!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pimp1.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	893257

Name:	Pimp3.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	893258

Name:	Pimp5.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	893259
    Where did you get the gold rims, those are so trick.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast