mtbr member

Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp

My new MTB frame arrived today.

Ordered from CRC for £344.

Frame was securely packaged.

Touch up paint, zip ties, manual, chainstay protector & cable housings in a separate box.

Having recently had my FS 29er frame down to it's bare bones... I'm amazed at how light this frame is.

I fully expect it to climb like a scalded monkey

Has an old school head badge.

The build quality looks really solid. Welds look impressive too.

Hope to have it built up by the weekend & use Friday night, Saturday/Sunday to get a couple shake down laps in.

Build:
    -Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp - L frame
    -775mm Handlebars (likely to upgrade to 780 Carbon before too long)
    -50mm Kore stem
    -M615 brakes w/ 180mm rotors (might go 203mm up front)
    -Lizard Skin grips
    -FSA 44/56 headset
    -140mm X-Fusion Trace RL2 fork (recommended 120 - 140)
    -Stans Flow front wheel, 25.5 ID
    -29x2.35 Evo Tsc Hans Dampf/29x2.4 Onza Ibex front tire(s)
    -125mm Reverb dropper
    -WTB Kona saddle
    -73mm Truvativ BB
    -Octalink crank set, 175mm
    -30t Praxxis Wave Tech chainring (will switch out for Abs 32t Oval eventually)
    -SLX M7000 1x11 drivetrain, shifter, 11-42 cassette, med cage RD
    -Easton Heist 24 rear wheel
    -29x2.35 Exo Forekaster/29x2.4 XR4 Team Issue rear tire(s)
    -Scudgood resin pedals (zeray clipless once I relearn how to ride a HT)

Geo:

The 140mm fork will slacken it out a little more

Can't wait to swing a leg over it

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    Last edited by targnik; 02-18-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Phase 1 complete...

i.e. I've done as much as I can (more than I expected too).

Got a mate that'll help w/ crankset & rear der set up ^^

Glad I went with size L.

Thing fits like a glove

Plus, it feels down right bad-ass!

NB, I know I should have gone with a dark mudguard (old bike is green, couldn't resist).

Black MG on route

Will be keeping the green grips though.

Last edited by targnik; 02-14-2017 at 04:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Bike is built up....

Unfortunately it's dark out, so more pictures tomorrow.

From my up & down the street, my lower back is going to take some getting use to a 1/2 squishy.

My good riding bud, whom I gave the first ride to (+ some brews, for the assist) was wrapped with how it handled.

Bikesexual
    Nice! Liking the head badge 👍 congrats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Sweet!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow poke View Post
    Sweet!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Nice! Liking the head badge 👍 congrats.
    Thanks guys ^^

Here's another little teaser pic (in the dungeon)

Hope to taste some dirt in a day or two

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Cool bike, looking forward to a ride report.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Cool bike, looking forward to a ride report.
    Thanks.

Sitting on it, actually reminds me a lot of my former Kona Process 134.

Yeah, see if I can keep it rubber side down.

Riding technique/style will need a readjustment.

Find out in a day or two

mtbr member

First time out, done & dusted....

It's late 9.30pm local time, so I'll post a first ride report tomorrow

Spoiler Alert!!

It's not what I expected

mtbr member
    Anxious to hear. Been eyeing that frame for a few weeks.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post

First time out, done & dusted....

It's late 9.30pm local time, so I'll post a first ride report tomorrow

Spoiler Alert!!

It's not what I expected

Targnik, you sure put a lot of suspense on this build lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Man these bikes look sick. Been thinking about ordering an already built one online for chain reaction cycles.
    Excited to see how it handles on the trail!
    Wondering what your height and inseam is.
    Trying to get an idea of how they fit. I cant seem to find any local to test ride.

mtbr member

Bias Declaration:

Height: 181cm
    Weight: 103kg
    Inseam: 81cm (32 inches)

I've been riding MTB's for a little over 3 years. In that time I've owned - KHS Winslow 29er (HT), 2014 Kona Process 134, 2012 Transition Bandit 29 & now the Scout 290 Comp.

It's been 2.5+ years since riding the Winslow HT. So, I've pretty much forgotten what it's like to lack a rear shock.

Anyhow, last night myself & a couple of mates went out for some therapy.

This local trail was a good place to do a shakedown run. Loam, jumps, roots, rock gardens, hard pack & berms were the order of the evening. A great variety to see how the new whip would handle.

Initially I went in with some trepidation i.e. I didn't want to be, not riding my Bandit. If the rear triangle wasn't cracking up, I'd still be on it now.

Money was a factor in acquiring my new frame. Plus, all the bits from my Bandit swapping over was another tick for the Scout.

Ride Thoughts:

Me likey!

At the end of my ride, I felt fresher - but more beat up. A definite conundrum. Let me explain.

Climbing, being a HT any power sent to the pedals propels you forward... which I found translated to, less ability to sit and spin. I was actually having to work on the climbs, but - the 290 wanted to be worked in a higher gear - 1 gear up (down, you know what I mean).

Long grinder climbs were a grind. As stated above I was working the whole time. No hiding on the Granny gear here.

Technical climbs were a piece of cake. When you stomp on the pedals, you get up there young fella!

However, with an extra 10mm of travel (stock is 130mm, I've got 140mm fork) and a 51mm offset as opposed to 46mm. The front end was lifting & that paired with a slack head angle @65.5į increased the side to side flop.

Now remember, I'm coming off a 68.5į fs trail mule that had no side to side flop and no lift except on the steepest of trails. Riding the saddle nose w/ an exaggerated forward lean & steep, grinder climbs were manageable.

Unweighting and attack position are more important on the Scout. On my Bandit I could get away with relaxing/being lazy & taking micro breaks whilst descending. Not on the 290. Going down I needed to be engaged 99% of the time.

Any lapses in focus and I'd get a gentle kick up the back side as a reminder (occasional feeling of being pitched forward).

This beast wants to be let off the reins when pointed down. It accelerates at a phenomenal rate of knots. The low BB (more about this soon), shortish CS & slack head angle begs you to push the envelope. Knowing when to pull those reins is key to staying on the trail & not visiting the local flora.

Jumping ^^ The Scout looks like a big jump bike & it doesn't disappoint either. On the moderately sized jumps on this trail, I was sending it much further than expected i.e. I was rolling like a bat out of hell and over jumping. This part of the trail was loamy, so landings were not shaking my filings loose.

Back to my being battered but fresh. My legs and skeleton will take some getting use to descending on a HT. The first wee jump I did on a hard pack part of the course and my legs had the unfamiliar sensation of having to work on the landing. That's the whole bag w/ going down... my whole body was having to do the work that my 130mm rear shock on my Bandit use to do for me... and it's taxing!!

The Scout being 2-3lbs lighter than my FS rig made climbs easier in one respect. But, after a long descent I was generally shelled! I then spent the first part of the climb taking my respite.

I need to work on my HT rock garden technique. I felt somewhat like a pinball bouncing off of each rock edge. Luckily the couple of beds that were on the trail weren't more than 4 metres in length.

Now the bottom bracket. On the berms, the low bb is epic! Railing was on tap & the HT ability to sprint out of the turn was kewl. Again, this ability was taxing the leg muscles. But, dang was it fun.

What wasn't nearly as enjoyable, were the pedal strikes in places I never usually experience them. One was a real doozey, that put a little play into the cranks o_0
    I'll likely change out my 175's for 170's.

Apart from the pinball affect in rock gardens & unexpected pedal strikes, I'm really excited & happy with my latest purchase.

It'll be challenging and interesting to see how it copes on the rocky terrain I frequent when out of town.

I'll be popping a 2.4 XR4 Team Issue out back + 2.4 Onza Ibex up front, to try and mute a little of the rocky chunder. 170mm cranks will be a must too. As on my Bandit w/ 175's, on the out of town, rocky trails - I got an occasional strike.

To do:
    -reroute cables (got some bottle holder adaptors coming)
    -move bb spacer to drive side (at least until shorter cranks arrive, chain line will suffer a little)
    -slam stem to assist with climbs, currently have 15mm underneath - 5mm will do
    -shorten steerer (see above)
    -install black mudguard which is on way
    -install gum colored Easton grips, on way also.

/Fin

PS - if I had the extra coin lying around I'd get a 150mm dropper as well.

Last edited by targnik; 02-18-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Wow, 65.5į, same as my Warden. Sounds like fun. The climbing will take some more body english and time to adapt. I find that a slack HTA doesn't hinder climbing much once you are used to it. I echo your battering sentiment. I was on a Mondraker Vantage frame for a bit las year. I loved the geometry but on rougher descents it punished my legs. If I was a young fella like you I would still have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Wow, 65.5į, same as my Warden. Sounds like fun. The climbing will take some more body english and time to adapt. I find that a slack HTA doesn't hinder climbing much once you are used to it. I echo your battering sentiment. I was on a Mondraker Vantage frame for a bit las year. I loved the geometry but on rougher descents it punished my legs. If I was a young fella like you I would still have it.
    Lol!!

Younger fella... maybe.

My leg muscles aren't as fatigued today.

But, I can feel my bones have had a shake up.

65.5į = super confident going down...

Shorter cranks & maybe an Oval ring to smooth out pedaling and I'll be a pig in swill.

For $425 USD, it's one of the best bike related buys I've made.

Last edited by targnik; 02-17-2017 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    2nd ride on my new mule tonight...

Trail was a root fest!!

Steep, rutty & rooty

On the climb to the top... The lowering of my stem paid dividends.

I was definitely picking my lines more carefully, whilst descending.

One small rooty section, beneath a huge tree - there was a wee lip leading in. The fact that I'd just come through a part of the trail where there were roots every 1.5 M and I felt like a frog in a blender. I decided to gap this giant tree section

So.... much easier if you send it over the gnar.

Heals down was more important too, in the steep rutty, rooty switchbacks.

Plus, remembering good jump technique i.e. heavy feet & light hands - as I was riding the handle bars more to curb the bucking bronco I had slung a leg over. Pitched myself forward a little too much on one table top.

Otherwise, I rode everything I usually ride. Plus, I felt like I was going just as quick/maybe quicker. The frog in a blender sensation really keeps you on your toes & engaged.

As stated before, no time to take a mid run siesta on an HT on these AM trails.

BB has developed an annoying creak (post Friday ride's pedal strike), new crankset+BB can't arrive quick enough.

Last edited by targnik; 08-18-2017 at 10:33 PM.

mtbr member

This mule lives for steep, technical terrain.

Yesterday, we rode one of our more gnarly local trails and the Scout lapped it up ^^

I've dropped tire pressures to stoopid low numbers, 20psi front & 24psi rear (tubed). For my local stuff - it's really enhanced the ride quality.

On the downs, it's way more capable than my old fs 29er i.e. Transition Bandit & on real steep stuff, it's even ahead of my former Kona Process 134

Locally all our rides start with a big climb & end with the big descent. I just need to remember to run higher tire psi for the climb & drop psi down for the descent (rear tire mainly).

For multiple runs I'll have to hedge my bets & run middle of the road

mtbr member

Ridden today on one of my favourite trails.

More flow than tech...

But super tight/narrow >.<

Man this thing can motor o_0

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Targnik, how do you like the Scudgood pedals? Would you buy them again?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pack66 View Post
    Targnik, how do you like the Scudgood pedals? Would you buy them again?
    Yup...

They're pretty easy to service/maintain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I just found out about this bike and I think it just jumped to the top of my list. I currently ride an XC hardtail and tag along with full squish guys regularly. I'm committed to HTs so my next bike is going to be a badass all mountain hardtail. The NP Scout seems to be fitting the bill nicely. I'm in the US though so I'm not sure how I'll go about actually getting one.

Any further impressions now that you've had it a few months?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by felix1776 View Post
    I just found out about this bike and I think it just jumped to the top of my list. I currently ride an XC hardtail and tag along with full squish guys regularly. I'm committed to HTs so my next bike is going to be a badass all mountain hardtail. The NP Scout seems to be fitting the bill nicely. I'm in the US though so I'm not sure how I'll go about actually getting one.

Any further impressions now that you've had it a few months?
    I've just bought myself a 2017 Giant Reign 2...

A couple of trails I ride are more suited to a full squish Enduro rig

But, for 80-90% of the other stuff I ride - I'll defer to the Scout

It's a uber capable mule

Run 2.4 tyres or wider to add a little cushioning & you'll be a pig in swill

Nukeproof are actually a US based company... out of Michigan, if I remember correctly.

Get onto them

mtbr member
    In the US you can order one from https://recycledmountainracing.com/c...nt=36123487181 . Or Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK also carries then and ships to the US but it looks like they are out of stock there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the response. For some reason, I thought they were UK-based. Might be confusing them with some other company. That scout looks like such a badass bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by felix1776 View Post
    Thanks for the response. For some reason, I thought they were UK-based. Might be confusing them with some other company. That scout looks like such a badass bike.
    They are now UK based.

NUKEPROOF: THE HISTORY BEHIND THE BRAND

Nuke Proof Industries, the brain child of founder John Muenzenmeyer, started life in 1990 from the city of Grand Rapids, Michigan. As a passionate rider, Johnís aim was to create desirable, innovative and reliable solutions to meet the demands of the emerging 90ís mountain bike market. Nuke Proof Industries was pioneering in its design with the use of exotic materials such as titanium and carbon fibre. They were best known for their famous carbon/aluminium hubs.
    Nuke Proof Industries went on to produce titanium frames, carbon fibre handle bars and other innovative components, represented at races by athletes such as James Bethea, a local courier with an appetite for winning with a unique attitude to boot.
    After the American bicycle boom of the 90ís, came a dramatic decline in the market and Nuke Proof Industries struggled to continue trading. In 2004 Northern Irish DH racer and long term admirer of the brand, Michael Cowan, saw the chance to save the brand. He set about acquiring the trademarks with the aim to re-invigorate the iconic brand. A leading and influential mountain bike racer himself, Michael put in place a product development team of experienced and passionate riders.
    In 2007, Nukeproof launched its first products, Titanium springs. These were shortly followed by more gravity led products; 760mm and 800mm handlebars, which were a rare sight at the time.
    The development of Nukeproof frames was conceived with racing in mind. The Nukeproof teamís desire was to develop a longer, slacker and more capable bike for the famous Mega-Avalanche race. This led to a 3 year development program resulting in the Nukeproof Mega.
    Simultaneously, ex Downhill Masters World Champion Nigel Page was assembling the Chain Reaction Cycles-Intense team to compete in the UCI Downhill World Cup. Nigel chose to work with Nukeproof to develop components to meet the teams exacting standards, enabling them to test and showcase our components at the highest level of the sport (standing on the podium at the teamís first race). At the 2010 Interbike show in Las Vegas, Michael and Nigel decided the time was right to design and race our own bike, paving the way for the development of Nukeproofís first downhill frame: the Scalp.
    Today, with numerous UCI World Cup victories behind them, Nigel and the race team are integral to the development and testing of all new components and bikes. None more so than the iconic 3 times downhill World Champion Sam Hill developing his own signature series of Nukeproof components developed specifically for his requirements.
    Now designed and developed in Belfast Northern Ireland, Nukeproof products are sold through select independent bike dealers around the world. The brand continues to evolve whilst retaining its proud history and traditions of being crafted Ďby riders for ridersí.
    Source: https://recycledmountainracing.com/p...proof-bicycles

loud hubs save lives

This mule lives for steep, technical terrain.

Yesterday, we rode one of our more gnarly local trails and the Scout lapped it up ^^

On the downs, it's way more capable than my old fs 29er i.e. Transition Bandit & on real steep stuff, it's even ahead of my former Kona Process 134

Iím thinking about picking up one of these frames to bolt some spare parts on and ride as a second bike.

How do you feel about the low BB? Seems like itís quite a bit lower than a lot of other hard tails like the Canfield and Konas. My trails in the southeast are littered with rocks. My normal ride is a kona process 111 and this would be a second bike to mix things up.

mtbr member
    This mule is extremely versatile i.e. last weekend I raced in a 10 hour endurance event (1 of 4 team members).

Initially I was apprehensive about the 290 on an XC type course i.e. it'd be too much bike.

However, my Scout took it all in stride. The rider, rather than the ride had my times only slightly down on my team mates... whom were riding carbon hard tails w/ skinny little tyres.

A couple of rides prior to that race, I was bombing down one of our more gnarly local DH tracks.

If you do build up a Scout 290... It won't stay your second bike for long.

Re, bb height... Remember that it doesn't change/move on an HT.

Run the correct length cranks i.e. 170mm or less & it'll be fine.

NB, I've got a 140mm fork on my build. Think quoted geo numbers are w/ a 130mm fork.

FYI - slap on a decent fork e.g. a Pike or a new Rev... I'm running an X-Fusion Trace & it performs ok. But, I'd rather have spec'd a boost fork - to take larger rubber. Plus, the 35mm legs stiffness, would be much appreciated.

I'm currently running 2.35's - Hans Dampf & Rock Razor. If my fork were more roomy, I'd have 2.5 rubber installed, for the extra cush factor... Particularly out back. Remember it is a HT & an alu one at that...

I think it rides fine... but I've never ridden Steel or Ti. Maybe in a couple of years, I'll grab another AM HT w/ supposed better dampening qualities.

loud hubs save lives

If you do build up a Scout 290... It won't stay your second bike for long.

Re, bb height... Remember that it doesn't change/move on an HT.

Run the correct length cranks i.e. 170mm or less & it'll be fine.

NB, I've got a 140mm fork on my build. Think quoted geo numbers are w/ a 130mm fork.

I think it rides fine... but I've never ridden Steel or Ti. Maybe in a couple of years, I'll grab another AM HT w/ supposed better dampening qualities.

Any idea what the frame weighed ?

I'm currently debating between this & a ragley bigwig 29 ... both very similar but alloy vs steel. That ragley frame is a tank at nearly 7lbs, but nothing but good review.

loud hubs save lives

Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp

Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Any idea what the frame weighed ?

I'm currently debating between this & a ragley bigwig 29 ... both very similar but alloy vs steel. That ragley frame is a tank at nearly 7lbs, but nothing but good review.
    Answering myself ... Size L is just under 5lbs according to US distributor

mtbr member
    Apologies, didn't get a notification...

My NP290 is fairly light (me thinks)

I don't weigh things but, my 2017 Giant Reign 2 - is likely around 13.8/14 kg's

The NP290 is quite a bit lighter... Likely 13kg's (possibly less).

I'll have to do some weighing.

loud hubs save lives
    My 16.5 frame that arrived yesterday weighed 4lb 13oz with the seat collar and rear axle installed

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A couple questions for owners:

Nukeproof states that a 2.8" tire clearance. Is this true? I would like to run my Terrene Mcfly 29x2.8.

Also - how playful is the bike? Sort of long chainstays. I would like something more on the playful end than bombing end. Already have a FS.

Considering this and a Honzo.....

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by telejefe View Post

Nukeproof states that a 2.8" tire clearance. Is this true? I would like to run my Terrene Mcfly 29x2.8.

Also - how playful is the bike? Sort of long chainstays. I would like something more on the playful end than bombing end. Already have a FS.

The chain stays are 85mm across at my side knobs, the seat stays are a bit narrower ~78mm

As far as riding .. havenít gotten that far yet as Iím waiting for a chainring to show up, but hereís a caption from Factory Jacksonís review, so fingers crossed for me.

ďThe Nukeproof Scout 290 is fun Ė it wants to hit berms hard, pop off jumps and zip along trails as fast as you dare. Sometimes you forget itís a trail bike Ė itís as close to a jump bike in agility and playfulness as a trail bike can getĒ

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I've been sorely tempted to pick up a 2018 Comp version of this bike. My only reservation at the moment is the Suntour XCR-34 air fork. Something tells me I would push this fork outside of its comfort zone and intended use, and I don't want to be in the immediate upgrade game as it would be a 3rd bike.

As for tire clearance...apparently this 2018 frame is different than the 2017 that the OP has; now it's got boost spacing, is longer, and has profiled stays for more compliance. But CRC has been known a time or ten to get the details wrong. My guess is that it will take 27.5x2.8 or 29x2.5 maximum, which seems to be the norm for newer boost spec frames of this sort.

loud hubs save lives
    My measurements above for clearances are based on the new 2018 boosted frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ah, I missed that. Thanks for posting the measurements.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    My measurements above for clearances are based on the new 2018 boosted frame
    What do you think about wheel diameter? My 29x2.8 is about 29.7" in diameter (about 0.3-4" taller than a 2.4 tire)....I find this to be the culprit as much as chainstay width...

thanks again for the info....

loud hubs save lives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhqFh2Wfrw

i kind of wanted the 27.5 version, but i already had some wheels/fork and was just looking for cheap fun.

Also, i'll measure clearance between my tire and seatpost later ... that gap is way smaller than the tire to BB area ( which is quite large )

loud hubs save lives
    What do you think about wheel diameter? My 29x2.8 is about 29.7" in diameter (about 0.3-4" taller than a 2.4 tire)....I find this to be the culprit as much as chainstay width...

thanks again for the info....
    I have about .5Ē of clearance between the 2.35 NN and the seatpost which is measuring right at 29.5in in diameter

mtbr member
    Although I never actually tried...

I'm guessing my former 2.4 Onza Ibex tyre (which makes a 2.35 Hans Dampf look small), would have fit out back.

If my fork were boost, I could see myself running the Ibex out back w/ a 2.5 WT Maxxis ________ up front ^^

The dampening qualities would be much higher.

PS - that useless front der cable guide would likely need cut off ;-)

PSS - the NPS290 is the most 'fun' bike I've ridden, probably on par w/ my former Kona Process 134.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the feedback and pics.

Do either of you run the XL? I am 6'4", the reach is pretty long, but I would probably have to run a 70 mm stem....which is not that big of a deal. If you are tall guys would enjoy your feeedback.

loud hubs save lives
    Nah. Iím short. On the 16.5 and need to pick up a 50mm ( or 45 )

Had my first ride in the bikeís initial state. I need to get a shorter stem, only had a 60mm around and need to rebuild the dropper i have for it. Iíll hold off judgment until i get those in place, but for now all i can say is:

a) itís a big long bike. 50mm longer wheelbase than my process 1111. Despite that i didnít have any issues navigating my normal trails, which have some tight sections. though i will never win any wheelie contests

b) the slack AF head angle felt surprisingly normal. Sagged itís supposed to work out to ~66.5 on the boosted frames, which is a degree slacker than my process

c) it will totally rip in smooth, flowy, undulating trail, but Iím not sure Iíll ever describe it as poppy / playful the way the factory Jackson review did ... weíll see. The BB is pretty low. It definitely puts you IN the bike and it handled really well in some of the flowier sections, but i had a couple pedal strikes in 2 tech sections ( my trails have a lot of rocks FWIW )

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback and pics.

Do either of you run the XL? I am 6'4", the reach is pretty long, but I would probably have to run a 70 mm stem....which is not that big of a deal. If you are tall guys would enjoy your feeedback.
    I'm on the next size down... 18.5/19.5??

I'm 181cm tall w/ +5 Ape Index, think 6'5" wing span o_0

So, I ride 'bigger' than my height would suggest.

Think you'll be fine on the XL with a 50-60mm stem ^^

loud hubs save lives
    Need more pics.

mtbr member
    From today's ride ^^Nukeproof Scout 290 Comp-img_20180215_115631.jpg

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    just ordered a 2018 NP Scout 290, any idea if a 29+ tire will work?

mtbr member
    I've had my eye on one as well. A 290 Comp with an e13 TRS+ is a pretty tempting combo for under $2K.

Figured those last few @ Chain Reaction would start moving after last weekend's GMBN video.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What video? They came wth e13 trs+? Where?

mtbr member
    It doesn't come with a TRS+, but Chain Reaction sells a compatible XD freehub body - currently out of stock, unfortunately, but prob wouldn't be too hard to find a Novatec-branded substitute. I figure it will be an easy swap, and the SLX/TRS+ combo seems to be working well for YT.

Video is here

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by ecooke21 View Post
    just ordered a 2018 NP Scout 290, any idea if a 29+ tire will work?
    2.6 yes, 2.8 doubtful ... my 2.4 nobby nic doesnít have that much room between the tread and seat tube

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    For those that bought the complete bike, did the wheels come pre taped and tubeless ready with valves?
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I got to demo a Scout 290 Comp today and here are my thoughts.

It's a big, heavy, burly hardtail. I'd say it's close to 30 lbs. But it's bulletproof and it'll last forever. It's long and slack. Having not ridden too many hardtails, I'd say it's both better and not as good as I thought it would be. First, it descends better than I thought it would, even through technical stuff. The long wheelbase just makes it so stable. Honestly, it feels just like the Mega 290. Composed and stable. It's not as playful as I thought it would be. I initially thought the rear would be all over the place. But the long chainstays make sure it's planted and composed. Climbing isn't as great as I thought it would be. I always thought HTs climbed like stink. The Scout does not. It climbs better than my FS bikes, but it's heavy. And despite having maximum pedaling efficiency, you feel every single pound climbing up. The good thing is that despite the slack HA, the front end didn't wander like other bikes would. Then again, I'm not that great of a climber to begin with. And it had High Roller IIs front and rear, which are not exactly the fastest rolling tires around. The ride is a bit bone jarring. The frame is crazy stiff. I felt every bump while seated. If it were mine, I'd put some 2.5WTs front and rear to take the edge off.

The components are pretty sweet. A full SLX groupset and brakes. They are great, but compared to the XT, the shifter kind feesl a little more dull and muted. I also disliked the free play on the downshift lever. Otherwise, they shifted just as smooth as the XT. The brakes are great. Feels just like the XT brakes I have, but maybe a little less ultimate stopping power. The Rockshox Revelation is a great fork. I honestly forgot it was there, which tells me that it's doing its job and doing it very well. It does look kind of cheap compared to my bling Fox stuff, but meh. The Brand X 120mm dropper just works. It's cheap but it didn't give me a problem during my demo ride. No noises, very little side to side play. The only issue I had with it was that the return speed was slower than what I'm used to. If it were my bike, I would absolutely get a longer dropper. I've been spoiled by my 160mm Bikeyoke on my Smash so I hold every dropper to that standard. The 800mm bars takes a little while to get used to. My Smash has 780mm, and that's my jam. 800mm is just a tad too wide for me.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the bike. Solid spec, and great performance. Not the kind of bike one should choose to race XC with, but can probably do it competitively if you're fit enough. It's a hardcore hardtail. Which is the best kind of hardtail.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    New 150mm Giant Contact Switch dropper on board.

Compared to my 2017 Giant Contact SL on my Reign & the outgoing 125mm Reverb, this post shoots up like a rocket!!

Zero play also. Not sure about the remote just yet :meh:

Comfy-er saddle too ^^

Plus, new Snaggletooth Oval 30t Chainring.

Finding a reasonably priced pair of Orange grips (to round out the ensemble) is proving difficult.

Evoke lock-on grips fit the budget, but unfortunately... don't fit my large hands!? o_0

Maybe if I were Frodo, they'd fit >.<

I may (if I can't on sell them) just cut off the frill & use for a bit =/

PS - if you're feeling all the bumps, you ain't going fast enough! ;-P

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Looking good.

i like rocks
    thats a sick hardtail! i'd love to have one to compliment my Mega 290! N+1!
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post
    thats a sick hardtail! i'd love to have one to compliment my Mega 290! N+1!
    Stock they only come w/ 130mm travel o_0

140mm seems perfect for this mule ;-)

Have to say, it's my favourite bike... I've owned so far ^^

PS - if I had the coin, I'd definitely upgrade a few things i.e. wider rims, stronger rear hub, 170mm dropper, boost fork @140mm, blingy-er brakes...

But as it sits now, it's still a rip snorter of a ride =)

'Born to ride!'