> 50
    Aug 2014

NS snabb plus 29er - who has one, give us a review

Who is riding NS bikes? Specifically the snabb plus 29er?

What do you like and don't like? Any issues? Would you buy another NS product?

Considering a new frame/bike: Banshee prime, YT jeffsy, NS snabb (but no XL size), Canfield riot, and SC hightower (but no alloy)?

The snabb reminds me of the transition smuggler.

Gerry L.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Ditto... Considering this bike as well.

mtbr member
    Funny you brought this up! I just ordered one last week and according to the tracking system, it's out for delivery today!!!

I was considering a Smuggler, NS Plus, Hightower, a Stumpy and a few others. The NS just kept pulling me back. I planned on doing an unboxing post with initial thoughts, especially since this bike will be a rarity Stateside.

I'll post here with updates!
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryl View Post
    Considering a new frame/bike: Banshee prime, YT jeffsy, NS snabb (but no XL size), Canfield riot, and SC hightower (but no alloy)?
    I built up a 2017 Prime this spring and I love it so much. I put a 150mm Pike on front and it's so capable going down. I have a lot of rooty trails and quite a lot of uphill also and I'm very happy with how the Prime performs. It's affordable, not too heavy with the new hydroformed tubing and just an incredible all-round machine.
    Don't be mad, I'm totally n00b-ish.

> 50
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by niplo View Post
    I built up a 2017 Prime this spring and I love it so much. I put a 150mm Pike on front and it's so capable going down. I have a lot of rooty trails and quite a lot of uphill also and I'm very happy with how the Prime performs. It's affordable, not too heavy with the new hydroformed tubing and just an incredible all-round machine.
    Prime is still on my list as are the others. I will wait until fall and try for some closeouts or fire sales if some of these bikes add travel or change geo. Given the expense, any upgrade would have to add 25mm (1") travel minimum.

I have a process 111 dl and my only reservation is I could use more rear travel for the rocky terrain here - otherwise a great bike.

The mid travel 29er (135 plus rear & 150 front) offerings are growing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm guessing you found this, but heres a review: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ns-sna...1--review.html

> 50
    Aug 2014
    Lithified, yes thanks...seems like a reasonable bike....there are a lot of options these days....snabb plus probably does not work for me, need a min of 135mm in rear and xl sizing. My 16' process / geo is bit short on top tube (661mm). Any new bike/frame has too equal or exceed that with head tube angle < 68°.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    NS has the geometry that I would love to try. On the others getting reach, with a short enough seat tube is a problem.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I received my bike Monday and so far I've put around 30 mi on it!

NS snabb plus 29er - who has one, give us a review-web-edit-1.jpg

NS snabb plus 29er - who has one, give us a review-web-edit-2.jpg

My initial impressions are super positive. The geometry is very similar to the Hightower, which I demoed, with the exception of both longer reach and a higher stack. I agree with Vernon's assessment on PB; this bike pedals crisply, bordering on harsh at times, but it sure is fun going fast.

If anyone has any specific questions or you want to see something close up, let me know.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    How would you characterize it? A plow bike, a playful bike, a sexy tease in black? I've basically narrowed my list down to four choices: Jeffsy, Switchblade, Riot, and the Snabb. I've been kinda wanting a non-plastic bike but it's hard to pass on the amazing deal that the Jeffsy is. And, I've only been able to ride the Switchblade of those 4, which I liked quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Yet another Horst Link bike but the geo looks good and hopefully the leverage curve of the suspension compliments its main or it's intended use. It also looks pretty good.
    I think I'll keep my Following.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Yet another Horst Link bike but the geo looks good and hopefully the leverage curve of the suspension compliments its main or it's intended use. It also looks pretty good.
    I think I'll keep my Following.
    Here's a Q/A from the interview, if you didn't check it out.

NS snabb plus 29er - who has one, give us a review-quote.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scott2MTB View Post
    How would you characterize it? A plow bike, a playful bike, a sexy tease in black? I've basically narrowed my list down to four choices: Jeffsy, Switchblade, Riot, and the Snabb. I've been kinda wanting a non-plastic bike but it's hard to pass on the amazing deal that the Jeffsy is. And, I've only been able to ride the Switchblade of those 4, which I liked quite a bit.
    I'd liken it to a proper drivers car. No frills, firm suspension, a manual transmission, rear wheel drive, and V8 power! Okay, maybe not the last one. I don't think it's a forgiving bike for beginners, but in experienced hands it's pure thrill.

Unfortunately, I have never thrown a leg over any of the other bikes in your list.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What size did you get? I notice the medium is about the same size as a large in most of the other bikes in this class. Does it have that long bike feel where you really need to be on the front wheel to get it around the corners?

Also, the standover numbers look tall to me. How is it for your size?

mtbr member
    What size did you get? I notice the medium is about the same size as a large in most of the other bikes in this class. Does it have that long bike feel where you really need to be on the front wheel to get it around the corners?

Also, the standover numbers look tall to me. How is it for your size?
    It's a medium and for reference, I'm 5'8" with a typical build. At first, it did feel a little big to me, but after a few miles down the trail, I was comfortable. The reach is less than a half inch longer than my Kona Process.

Standover is pretty accurately stated. I think you'll find most other bikes to be similar, but they report a lower number. For example, Kona measures standover 70mm in front of the BB. It's the lowest point of the frame, but not where you actually straddle the bike.

Edit: I measured the frame at the lowest point, right where the seat tube brace meets the top tube. It's 29in. That's where a lot of manufacturers get their low numbers from. It feels the same as a medium Hightower to me.

And you do have to ride this bike more forward to keep the front wheel from wandering. I noticed that yesterday riding slick rocks the day after some rain. If I wasn't paying attention, my front wheel would float a little on greasy sections.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kubikeman; 07-03-2017 at 06:16 AM.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Ok one more question. What's your overall impression of the wheelset? How're the hubs? Clicky? Quiet? Quick?

mtbr member
    Ok one more question. What's your overall impression of the wheelset? How're the hubs? Clicky? Quiet? Quick?
    For a factory wheelset, they're not bad. The rear hub is on the quiet end of the spectrum. It's got 4 pawls with 27 POE, which is not really super fast, but it feels solid under power. The older Hope Pro 2, pre-EVO, had 24 POE, and this hub feels very similar. The spoke tension was pretty even and everything has remained true.

The rims are 30mm wide with subtle graphics, which I like. I set them up with Gorilla tape, Onza 2.4 tires and Orange Seal; it was super easy. I will note that tire clearance with the 2.4 rear is surprisingly snug given that this frame is supposed to be plus compatible. I'll try to post an update with a few photos.

NS claims 1870g, but I haven't stripped them down to confirm that. Overall, I think they are perfectly adequate, but I'll be saving for something a bit nicer in the future.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks @kubikeman

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I ended up pulling the trigger on a medium, though I'm 5'11.75 (I used to be taller). I wanted it to be a little more playful and a little less "point & shoot." I was a little worried about the shorter reach but it feels fine. It's still plenty long compared to bikes from a couple years ago. Also, in terms of fit, I thought the saddle was going to be horrible but it's actually pretty comfortable to me. Similiarly, the grips are pretty comfortable, though a little thick for my taste.

Out of the gate, I yanked the Schwalbe Fat Alberts off and put on e13s (TRSr front and TRS+ in the rear), and set them up tubeless. I also put on a 30T oval ring after the first ride. I didn't realize how adapted I had become to elliptical rings and the standard SRAM ring actually tired out my hamstrings! The OneUp Bash Guide came in today so I'll put that on, but I will leave the rest of the bike stock for now.

I've had two rides on it so far - one general trail ride, and a few runs at a local DH spot. I've also had a couple of evening playing in the street on it while my daughter sees how far she can skid her bike. I have to say that I'm super happy with it. It feels very similar to my Rollik in the street test, except it actually likes rear wheel a little better. Both bikes pedal and climb with pretty close to same efficiency, though of course the Snabb is heavier, and on a heavier and slower to engage wheelset. The 29er rolling speed seems to mostly make up for that though. I agree with @kubikeman that the wheels are perfectly useable, but will be upgraded at some point. Also, a minor gripe: the linkage is a god bit wider than the frame and my pads hit it from time to time. I got used to it already, but if you aren't wearing pads, you have been warned...

Once pointed downhill, the bike is super stable. It's a very solid feeling bike, and doesn't seem to affected by random trail noise. Once again, it's similar to my Rollik (which I have setup with a 160mm fork) in terms of maneuverability at speed - but it feels more stable, smooths out the chatter a little more, and makes drops into rough ground feels safer. It does take a little more effort to get through tighter turns - particularly those that are g-out in nature, but overall it feels like there is not really any downside once you get used to it.

The RS Deluxe needs some volume spacers for my riding style. It's already too firm while pedalling so I don't want to reduce sag, but I'm bottoming out on jumps that it shouldn't be. Same goes for the Pike (and it came with 2 extra spacers in the box), but that's just personal setup and terrain. When it does bottom out hard, it doesn't feel like you're going to break it the way a carbon bike does...

I had a comparison thread that didn't really get far but for posterity's sake, I will say that the 140mm of travel in the front of the Snabb feels at least as long as the 160mm on the Rollik. Right now, the 130 in the back, feels about the same as the 140 on the Rollik, but I haven't dialed it in for my weight and riding style yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks @kubikeman
    You're welcome! Glad to hear you like it too!

I figured I'd drop in with a couple updates. The rear hub keeps popping at least once or twice per ride; sticky pawls? Doesn't affect my riding, just annoying coming off Hopes. I'll probably pull it apart, clean and grease the guts, and see if that helps.

I also swapped tires again for a set of Butcher/Pergs. I've used them before and they are just a nice all around combo IMO. Much better tire clearance in the rear chainstays over the Onza Ibex.

With the Spesh GRID tires, XT pedals and a small taco guard, my (medium) bike weighs in at a dead even 32lbs.

@Scott2MTB

I added a token in the Pike for a total of 3.
    4 clicks of compression
    8 clicks rebound from full fast
    60 PSI
    I'm light though, only like 155 kitted up.

The Pike feels good for now; I'll turn my sights on the Monarch next and add a volume spacer there too.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    You're welcome! Glad to hear you like it too!

I figured I'd drop in with a couple updates. The rear hub keeps popping at least once or twice per ride; sticky pawls? Doesn't affect my riding, just annoying coming off Hopes. I'll probably pull it apart, clean and grease the guts, and see if that helps.

I also swapped tires again for a set of Butcher/Pergs. I've used them before and they are just a nice all around combo IMO. Much better tire clearance in the rear chainstays over the Onza Ibex.

With the Spesh GRID tires, XT pedals and a small taco guard, my (medium) bike weighs in at a dead even 32lbs.

@Scott2MTB

I added a token in the Pike for a total of 3.
    4 clicks of compression
    8 clicks rebound from full fast
    60 PSI
    I'm light though, only like 155 kitted up.

The Pike feels good for now; I'll turn my sights on the Monarch next and add a volume spacer there too.
    I've ridden the Snabb about 4 times a week since my last post, including two days of bike park usage and here's my notes:

I was getting just enough bottom out control with 4 tokens but it was losing the Pike suppleness so I ended up putting in the MRP Ramp Control. It's worth it and super easy to install. Current Settings are (180ish full kit):
    80 PSI
    11 Clicks Rebound (from open)
    7 Clicks of compression (from open)

I maxed out the tokens in the shock with 3 (it came with 2). There is no suppleness in the rear, but when I'm hauling a$$ it feels pretty good.

At max warp at the bike park it feels pretty controlled. We have a big rock pile at the park here (Snow Summit) that my DH bike makes it over relatively smoothly, though loses speed. The 29er wheels cross the gaps better and I practically launch off the top of it, but it rattles my teeth a bit.

After three weeks of riding though, EVERY single pivot bolt was loose, and the main pivot was almost backed all the way out. It's not a huge issue to fix with a little locktite and a couple of allen wrenches, but I"ve never had a new bike come apart so fast. Similarly, the headset came lose. Also, all the bolts for the seat post clamp and stem are made of an extremely soft alloy. Wrench carefully!
    Last edited by Scott2MTB; 07-30-2017 at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Same here. After the first couple of rides, every pivot bolt was loose, to some degree. I pulled each bolt, one at a time, added a dab of grease and torqued it to spec. I started checking the bolts in my pre-ride routine and I can report they 'settle in' for lack of a better term. I started checking less often.

http://www.ns-bikes.com/files/21/201...manual_web.pdf

The above is a link to their Online manual. It's beautiful; I wish every bike manufacturer put that kind of effort into a manual. All the part numbers are there, exploded views, torque specs... etc.
    The cake is a lie.

> 50
    Aug 2014
    NS snabb plus in a 150mm & 130mm at eurobike:

ns_bikesco on Instagram or NS Bikes 2017 - Stay True!

Lots of choices out there in the 29er mid/long travel categories
    Last edited by gerryl; 08-30-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Rocks belong
    NS snabb plus in a 150mm at eurobike
    They hinted that this was coming. Very excited to see it.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Rocks belong
    NS snabb plus in a 150mm[/url]

Lots of choices out there in the 29er mid/long travel categories
    Heard anything more? I can't find squat
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

> 50
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Heard anything more? I can't find squat
    Try lamacycles.com only thing I have found so far! geo is on their site as well.....

Here are the 150 specs - Jan 2018 around $3700ish

frame: NS Snabb Plus w/ 150mm travel
    rear shock: FOX PERFORMANCE DPX2 3pos-Adj, Trunnion Evol LV 205x60, tuned by FOX x NS Suspension Lab

Forks: FOX PERFORMANCE 36 FLOAT GRIP, 160mm travel, 3pos-Adj w/ Open Mode Adj, 1.5” T steerer, 15QRx110, 51 offset

headset: GW integrated tapered IS42/IS52, sealed bearings

stem: NS Quantum Lite 31.8, 45mm

handlebar: NS Evidence Light, 762mm

seatpost: Kind Shock LEV-integra 125, 150, 170mm, internal cable routing, 31.6mm

saddle: Octane One Crit CrMo hollow rails

front brake: SRAM Guide R, 200mm

rear brake: SRAM Guide R, 180mm

rims: New NS Enigma Roll 29, 32h(PLUS compatible) tubeless ready

front hub: NS Rotary 15 BOOST 15x110 disc (sealed bearings)

rear hub: NS Rotary Cassette 148x12mm Boost (sealed bearings)

tires front/rear: Schwalbe Magic Mary 29x2.35 folding, TL-Easy, / Schwalbe Nobby Nick 29x2.35 folding, TL-Easy

crankset: Race Face Affect 170mm DM 32t

bottom bracket: Race Face Euro BB BSA

chain: Shimano, 11 spd

derailleurs: Shimano Deore XT M8000 GS, 11spd

shifters: Shimano SLX, 11spd

cassette: Shimano CS-M7000, 11-46, 11speed

from https://www.lamacycles.com/en/2018-c...nabb-plus1-150

sweet looking rig.....this or the guerrilla gravity smash (in a large)