mtbr member

New question here. Novarra Big Buzz = cheap 29er?

I was in REI today and noticed this bike:Novara Big Buzz which is a weird blend of a 29er and a 700cc hybrid.

It's obviously made for the road with it's big double chainring up front, but I was wondering if it might be a suitable 29er light trail / fireroad bike with some bigger tires and a different crankset. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, particularly the geometry and the wheelset for light off road use? (I'm clueless about geometry)

Geometry (20" frame)
    Seat Tube Center- 22.0"
    Seat Tube Center-20.0 "
    Top Tube 23.0"
    Standover 32.2"
    Rear Center 17.1"
    Front Center 25.5"
    Wheelbase 42.3"
    Offset 2.2"
    Head Tube Angle 72 deg.
    Seat Tube Angle 73 deg.

My thoughts:

Pros:
    1 1/8 headset
    700 cc rims
    Avid mechanical discs

Cons:
    Tire clearance?
    Geometry?
    Last edited by Schmoe; 02-16-2004 at 08:17 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe
    I was in REI today and noticed this bike:Novara Big Buzz which is a weird blend of a 29er and a 700cc hybrid.

It's obviously made for the road with it's big double chainring up front, but I was wondering if it might be a suitable 29er light trail / fireroad bike with some bigger tires and a different crankset. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, particularly the geometry and the wheelset for light off road use? (I'm clueless about geometry)

Geometry (20" frame)
    Seat Tube Center- 22.0"
    Seat Tube Center-20.0 "
    Top Tube 23.0"
    Standover 32.2"
    Rear Center 17.1"
    Front Center 25.5"
    Wheelbase 42.3"
    Offset 2.2"
    Head Tube Angle 72 deg.
    Seat Tube Angle 73 deg.

My thoughts:

Pros:
    1 1/8 headset
    700 cc rims
    Avid mechanical discs

Cons:
    Tire clearance?
    Geometry?
    Tire clearance is going to be the biggest issue. The top tube is on the shorter end of the scale for mtbs, especially as "most" mtb frames are measured center to top and the Novara sizing is center to center so the 20" Big Buzz would be called a 22" by most other companies.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Just Ride!

Hybrids rule

I think there are a ton of Hybrids with great potential that are either at a low price on the showroom floor or setting in garage sales waiting to become a 29er.

If the geometries suite your stature and riding style, then tire fitment can be made to happen with a little creativity, see my swedging tips; Mud Tires?

You know back in the space race days, NASA spent millions to produce a ball point pen that would write upside down and in the most extreme elements, whereas the Russians just used a pencil, so.........

Go Hybrid
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz
    I think there are a ton of Hybrids with great potential that are either at a low price on the showroom floor or setting in garage sales waiting to become a 29er.

If the geometries suite your stature and riding style, then tire fitment can be made to happen with a little creativity
    Having seen some pretty radical trail riding done on old 10spds set up as fixed gears I have to say anything is possible.

The less you know about geometry and the more you feel about how well the bike fits YOU is a good thing.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

ali'i hua
    its a good lookin bike! I now work part-time at REI and we have both the grey and black Buzz's.

cool bike for the price. hmm. I need a commuter/beer/coffe run bike, dont I?